Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.Com: (Desean) Jackson: "I blacked out"

#98QBKiller

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4705807

Jackson: I blacked out

By Sal Paolantonio

Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver DeSean Jackson, in his first public comments since suffering a concussion last Sunday against the Washington Redskins, says it is extremely unlikely he will play this Sunday in Atlanta against the Falcons.

"I don't think I can go," Jackson said. "I blacked out."

That is the first time anyone said that Jackson lost consciousness after the hit by Redskins linebacker London Fletcher in the third quarter at Lincoln Financial Field on Sunday.

A Eagles senior official confirmed on Tuesday night that Jackson did in fact lose consciousness on the field on Sunday, and strongly suggested that the Eagles will be without their most explosive receiver in Atlanta.

With the new emphasis on protecting players who have been concussed, Jackson's case begs for caution. Under the NFL's new mandates issued Nov. 24, the Eagles are working with a local neurosurgeon, who must provide an independent second opinion in cases involving players who have had a concussion and been removed from a game or practice.

Jackson has been examined by that doctor, and will undergo exercise tests this week to see if he develops any headaches as a result.

The Eagles' doctors cleared running back Brian Westbrook to play against San Diego on Nov. 15 -- just three weeks after he suffered a concussion against the Redskins on ESPN's "Monday Night Football" on Oct. 26 -- and he left the Chargers game with a second concussion. He is in the middle of a three-week neurological evaluation before he returns to the field.

The experience with Westbrook, 30, has made the team doubly cautious with Jackson, who leads the team with 769 receiving yards and six touchdowns. Jackson is only 23 years and should be the centerpiece of the Eagles offense for the next decade.

Well as much as I don't like the kid, he's a little too c.ocky for me, I hope he is going to be ok

"****y" doesn't get snagged by the filter, so no worries. Words that DO get blocked by the filter should just be typed out and then blocked. Don't circumvent it with #$%*# symbols. Just a heads up.

As for Jackson, he got absolutely crushed by Fletch. I'm glad a lot of guys on this team are still giving it their all.

League is going to have to do something about concussions soon.... players are falling left and right and new medical information points to dire consequences from repeated concussions. The helmets like boxing gloves may be causing more brain damage while defending against superficial damage.

is it just me or does it seem like there are more concussions/blacking-out this season compared to previous seasons?

I think it's more likely just te growing emphasis and media coverage on the issue.

I feel like I've been hearing about it more and more since Trent Green's concussion a few years back.

I think it's more likely just te growing emphasis and media coverage on the issue.

I feel like I've been hearing about it more and more since Trent Green's concussion a few years back.

that's what I believe as well... not more concussions, more awareness...

I was listening to sirius radio during the draft and they had a prospect on and they asked the kid if he had any concussions while playing in college... his answer was, "no concussions, but I've seen white lights a few times"... the hosts (kirwan and ryan) chuckled and said, "bro, those are concussions"...

they still tell the story in the sense that a lot of players are just becoming aware of the symptoms associated with concussions...

yeah I wish Desean the best in recovering from being concussed. This is a pretty serious thing that shouldn't be taken lightly (Hines Ward) I'm glad the NFL/teams, etc are taking the proper precaution in holding these guys out(Rothlisberger(sp) Westbrook, Portis etc. Maybe Engineers and doctors need to redesign helmets, mouthpieces or whatever technology that can minimize concussions. I realize the NFL is a collision sport and these things happen, but if better gear could minimize it, it needs to be looked into.

yeah I wish Desean the best in recovering from being concussed. This is a pretty serious thing that shouldn't be taken lightly (Hines Ward) I'm glad the NFL/teams, etc are taking the proper precaution in holding these guys out(Rothlisberger(sp) Westbrook, Portis etc. Maybe Engineers and doctors need to redesign helmets, mouthpieces or whatever technology that can minimize concussions. I realize the NFL is a collision sport and these things happen, but if better gear could minimize it, it needs to be looked into.

I agree with what you said.

I am surprised at the recent concussion news regarding the NFL. It seems as if people are surprised that concussions are bad and it might be caused by getting hit in the head. It's a contact sport... I do think new helmets need to be made and intentional spearing needs to be penalized. learn to tackle with shoulder. I'd rather have a hurt shoulder than a hurt head.

The Iggles fans can say what they want but our middle linebacker took out their two best offensive players and neither has played a down since he hit them.

HTTR!

psssss: Westbrook played after he got concussed vs. the Skins. Of course, he got another, but that one was at the hands of the Chargers.

Archived