Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidents Afghan Speach

nonniey

What no threads yet?

This proposal basically reinforced my perception that we have a weak indicisive leader. Worst decision he could have made was to go in half-assed and that is what he picked. Either your serious about winning or your not and his choice to give less than requested plus advertising an 18 month limit confirms his heart is not in this struggle. He sent the wrong message to our enemies. Lets hope this minimalist surge works.

Fire away.

I heard bits and pieces.

The rationale for his decision was sound, even though I disagree with it.

I am on board, and hope this works out very well

And honestly, anything less then, oh, 500k troops for 30 years in occupying and trying to stabilize that country is half assed

But thats unrealistic

I don't see the problem with the strategy. Try to suppress the enemy in Afghanistan which also helps out Pakistan but also light a fire under the people there that they need to step up and take responsibility for their country immediately.

Half assed? I thought that 40,000 was the recommended number, and he's sending 34,000. Is that wrong?

I believe 40k was the minimum in the request

I actually approve of going lighter,though I do have some concerns on ROE rumors...for now I'll await facts and results.

The speech was all business. Obama clearly articulated the strategy, the rational, and the plan. His words were powerful and patriotic. Opposing Obama right now over this issue simply ain't gonna play well. I hope Republicans go there.

I always find it interesting when Republicans advocate a US foreign policy that is shaped by what our enemies think rather than what our allies' and our own principles demand.

Half assed? I thought that 40,000 was the recommended number, and he's sending 34,000. Is that wrong?

First of all 40K was the minimum recommended. Gen McChystal recommended up to 80K. So yeah the President failed to provide what his commander stated was the minimal resources. Additionally, advertising that we would begin a draw down in 18 months undermines the mission (If that is the constraint he made, bad one imo, he should have kept it classified). And finally you listed the wrong number it is 30K not 34K.

First of all 40K was the minimum recommended. Gen McChystal recommended up to 80K. So yeah the President failed to provide what his commander stated was the minimal resources. Additionally, advertising that we would begin a draw down in 18 months undermines the mission (If that is the constraint he made, bad one imo, he should have kept it classified). And finally you listed the wrong number it is 30K not 34K.

Oddly enough, I don't seem to recall you ever having a problem with your boy Bush over the troop levels in Afghanistan.

It was interesting to hear him avoid the word "surge." He doesn't want to admit the prior surge was correct.

It was also interesting that he avoided "WMD", and instead chose to use "tools of mass destruction" as a threat to us.

are you willing to have American troops there indefinitely and spend whatever it takes? and what is a victory in Afghanistan and how to you get there?

Not bashing, just wondering.

Oddly enough, I don't seem to recall you ever having a problem with your boy Bush over the troop levels in Afghanistan.

Seriously, is there ever a moment you actually take off your partisan hat and glasses?

Everyone understands what side/where you are coming from.

We may as well call you Chomerics Part 2 :hysterical:

So what I'm hearing is that 40k was the minimum recommended, 60k was the recommended number, and McCrystal said up to 80K.

I wish Obama would have committed some more troops to Afghanistan, somewhere in the neighborhood of 50K. If we're doing this it should be done right. Hopefully his 34k will work though.

We may as well call you Chomerics Part 2 :hysterical:

Naah

Chom was much more erudite and expansive...I kinda miss him

Why yes ....I am a bit of a masochist;)

Added

SHF, I don't think the DU kids are ever happy,even when they celebrate

Changing subjects? The former President was committed to winning in both campaigns but I'll concede he didn't adequately resource either initially (He eventually got Iraq right). I'll also concede my focus was on Iraq as Afghanistan was relatively calm until very late in Bushes 2d term so I don't even recall having a problem with the troop level there at the time. Bottomline though, is the previous President was set on winning, the current one you can tell just doesn't have his heart in it.

Changing subjects? The former President was committed to winning in both campaigns but I'll concede he didn't adequately resource either initially (He eventually got Iraq right). I'll also concede my focus was on Iraq as Afghanistan was relatively calm until very late in Bushes 2d term so I don't even recall having a problem with the troop level there at the time.

So to summarize: When Bush had 34,000 troops in Afghanistan as the Taliban stepped up their offensive in Afghanistan and Pakistan while Bush was ignoring requests for additional troops for years from his generals, that was all good by you. Not a peep.

When Obama triples that number to over 100,000 at the behest of his generals, that makes him weak, he's going to lose the war, sending the wrong message to our enemies, indecisive, worst thing he can do, etc.

are you willing to have American troops there indefinitely and spend whatever it takes? and what is a victory in Afghanistan and how to you get there?

Not bashing, just wondering.

The victory condition is this: The Taliban (or any government that would provide Al Qaeda a sanctuary) can't regain control of Afghanistan. You accomplish this by establishing an Afghan government that is hostile to the Taliban and strong enough to defeat any Taliban efforts at regaining control. And that is doable. Difficult yes, but doable.

Archived