Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thomas Turning It On?

Hubbs

it does seem like he's finally coming out of his shell and utilizing that raw potential.

he was supposed to have the most raw talent at the position in the draft, but his lack of experience made him a risk, and I believe it deterred him eraly on. He didn;t know how in shape he had to be at camps, and had an immaturity streak. I think he saw that he lost his starting spot because of Kelly's commitment and that may have served as a wake up call for him. He is starting to produce now, playing physical while also utilizing his speed.

It is very possible, IMO, that Thomas and Kelly could be the big possession WRs we've been lacking and that many of us thought they could be when we first drafted them. The season is over, has been, but I'm loving the way the young guys are stepping up and I'm loving the don't quit attitude of this team. There will be roster purging in the offseason for sure, and I believe these young guys know its coming and are trying to set themselves up as new starters for whatever kind of regime changes occur.

The 3 2nd rounders from the 08 draft have looked OK lately. I hope they get a lot of reps and targets over the final 6 games. The more chances they get, the better.

Edit: I think it's easier for them to all play together too. It doesn't hurt that they are contributing with no pressure (on a losing team). I think sometimes it's tough for young players to come into a veteran team and try to fit right in. That was the team they were drafted by...but with injuries, they get to all grow up together and not feel like they might drag the team down with mistakes.

We need a better passing game before we judge the young talent. I will say this, DT is making the most of what little he does get.

We need an OL that allows the QB to do more than just a 3 step drop, and can allow time for deep routes to be run on a more consistent basis. But there are are more appropriate threads for this conversation, this thread is about Devin Thomas' performance on his own merit.

neither of them have the "holy **** i have the ball" look anymore once they get it. still expecting big things from them.

Exactly. I remember last year, when Campbell threw the ball to Thomas in the Arizona game (TD that was reversed cause of penalty), Thomas caught the ball and was wide open. It took him a brief second to understand what he had to do next.

Overall though, they are playing much much better.

Thomas is showing great potential in YAC. His background as a former running back and his powerful frame are serving him well.

I have been suprised at how powerful he appears to be. Even on the first KR, he made good yards after the first contact.

I hope he gets to see plenty more of the ball coming his way.

Well, that's the make-or-break factor with so many of these guys. See: Randy Moss in Oakland.

If we have ****ty quarterbacking for the next few years, Thomas could be a Pro Bowl talent and we'd never know.

right, you had sidney rice having gus ferrote and tavarias jackson throwing to him, and he looked like a bust. this is also with having one of the best olines in football.

they insert brett favre, and rice is one of the best receivers in the league. shouldnt be a shocker to anybody.

and great call with RM in oakland. in oakland he was garbage because they had no QB, he goes to new england and sets records.

We need an OL that allows the QB to do more than just a 3 step drop, and can allow time for deep routes to be run on a more consistent basis. But there are are more appropriate threads for this conversation, this thread is about Devin Thomas' performance on his own merit.

Too late BLC already threw that off in post 16

Oh, that's true as well, no question. No matter what you think of JC, better protection means more time to go through reads for any quarterback. I happen to think that he checks down too quickly, but that doesn't mean that I don't also think that plenty of his check-downs are forced by pressure, and he doesn't have time to find Devin/Malcolm as the third/fourth reads that they probably are on a lot of plays.

I'm still not impressed with either of their route running yet. I hope they step it up because on a lot of ARE's catches he gets brought down so easily. If it were MK or DT instead, they would be out there punishing defenders and breaking open more big plays.

DT is on the right track...WTF do people expect R.MOss like #'s?

We have a average QB(CONSERVATIVE),Then to top that, we have a Chump for a coach!

Every player we have can't all be sorry

I'll take Mike Wallace or Jeremy Macklin like #'s at this point. There is a nice middle ground.

Thomas has been playing well lately which is a nice surprise. Now if we could get Kelly to play well too. Now that the season is lost, we need to let the younger WRs to get more playing time. What has happend to Davis over the last few weeks? I thought he would play well once he took over for Cooley, but I haven't heard much about it him lately.

Have you been watching the games? He has been a beast since taking over for cooley, he is getting better every week.

I'm not gonna get carried away. The fact that he shows anything at all is an improvement, but it's not like he's setting the world on fire. He gets 1 or 2 catches a game. But I'll take what I can get from him.

Imagine if he had a Quarterback who could get the ball too him more than 1-2 times a game. It all starts up front

ALOT OF YOU fans need to realize that THOmAS and KELLY breaking outis not their fault for the most part...they do not get nearly half the opportunites that highly drafted receivers get...UMMMMM most get involved in the return game...THomas...Kelly...NOO...how often do they get the ball ... ??? no matter how we say our starting line up is...and thomas or kelly is the 2, we all know w/ the scheme and how it falls..ARE becomes the 2 in games...its ridiculous...give them an opportunity...and theyd idn't have.. it...finally they're getting some touches...and we're talking about hem steeppin up...It was just never their fault...look at davis...w/ cooley hurt...he has an opportunity and hes doing really well..just ont a great blocker...but he was drafted and we knew that

I was glad to see that Thomas was playing with some attitude over the last couple of games. I was beginning to wonder if he and Kelly would be the biggest busts in the history of our team. I really respect Thomas' heart yesterday. We need more players who show that extra effort. That is why I was hoping that Marko Mitchell would go in there and get some more time because he seemed to show that kind of effort. Of course we will never know what these players can truly do because the starters always seemed to be locked in.

That is my major gripe about Zorn is that when people aren't performing (with the exception of JC), they don't get benched. Randle El is horrible on punts. He only gets like 4 yards at an attempt. Put someone else back there like Thomas or Marko Mitchell. See what they can do. It can't be any worse! Also when players like Moss drop the ball, they don't get benched or have someone else come in. If you aren't producing, why would hurt to see what the guys on the bench can do? They may show the coaches something that they haven't seen.

Archived