Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thomas Turning It On?

Hubbs

A minor sign of optimism after yesterday's otherwise nauseating result - Devin Thomas has been showing up over the past few weeks. He seemed to be a lost cause when replaced by The Comb early in the season, but he's stepped up since regaining his starting spot, and it looks like he's starting to gain confidence in what he's doing. He's scored his first receiving touchdown, consistently racked up nice YAC, and he deserves to be returning kicks for the rest of the season, too.

Is there any good reason to not make him a major focus of the offensive gameplan for the rest of the season, just to build him up and see what he can do? He seems to be trending towards one of those typical third-year receiver breakouts in 2010, which, given all of our other looming problems, would be really nice to see.

Thomas has been playing well lately which is a nice surprise. Now if we could get Kelly to play well too. Now that the season is lost, we need to let the younger WRs to get more playing time. What has happend to Davis over the last few weeks? I thought he would play well once he took over for Cooley, but I haven't heard much about it him lately.

Is there any good reason to not make him a major focus of the offensive gameplan for the rest of the season, just to build him up and see what he can do? He seems to be trending towards one of those typical third-year receiver breakouts, which, given all of our other looming 2010 problems, would be really nice to see.

You're 100% right.

And that's exactly why i think it won't happen.

I would love to see Devin and Malcolm become the featured WRs.

I would love to see them running that little slot crossing route/slant that ARE and Moss get.

I would also love to see any receiver run a deep slant or post route.

i think Thomas looks a lot more fluid right now. he looks like he is finally starting to think less and play more.

he just never really looked smooth last year. never seemed to catch the ball as cleanly as he could have. was jumping to catch passes that he didnt need to jump for. these are often signs of a guy thinking too much and very worried to mess up (of course, often signs of a raw athlete just learning to play football, which Thomas still was/is)

rigth now he looks comfortable and ready to breakout next year. i cannot believe that i am still talking about Devin Thomas breaking out "next year" on 11/23/09, but he is at least showing some serious signs of life. he is a tough, athletic player. if he improves as much in the next 12 months as he has in the past 12 months, he will be a dynamic addition to this offense.

Yeah Thmas is looking decent right now..coming on good. Remember guys Kellythis year is really his Rookie season...

I think next year we can really expect both of these guys along with Davis to contribute except that we might have a brand new Offense next year and again these guys are thinking again instead of reacting which might stunt their growth again next year.

Just look at Sidney Rice. He was also a guy that people felt was a project, that would need a couple years to develop

His rookie year he had 31 catches and his sophomore year saw his production drop to just 15 catches, playing in 13 games each year. Now he's got 50 catches, 875 yards, and looks like a likely 1300 yard receiver and NFC Pro Bowl selection.

Devin had 15 catches as a rookie, and we can presume that he'll can very close to, if not exceed, 31 catches in his sophomore year. Let's hope he has the same type of breakout that Rice did.

Just look at Sidney Rice. He was also a guy that people felt was a project, that would need a couple years to develop

His rookie year he had 31 catches and his sophomore year saw his production drop to just 15 catches, playing in 13 games each year. Now he's got 50 catches, 875 yards, and looks like a likely 1300 yard receiver and NFC Pro Bowl selection.

Devin had 15 catches as a rookie, and we can presume that he'll can very close to, if not exceed, 31 catches in his sophomore year. Let's hope he has the same type of breakout that Rice did.

remember whos throwing to him as well.

remember whos throwing to him as well.

Well, that's the make-or-break factor with so many of these guys. See: Randy Moss in Oakland.

If we have ****ty quarterbacking for the next few years, Thomas could be a Pro Bowl talent and we'd never know.

I think Devin has found his niche on the WR screen play. He's gaining yardage even when the play is completely blown up. Also, he ran very hard on his kick return opportunities yesterday. Hopefully he continues to get better which can only help Santana and possibly light a fire under Kelly also.

His YAC is impressive but again, I would like to stress that we need to get him the ball more. Also, I think Kelly is coming along nicely. Both of them are big body receivers that are hard to bring down by any means. Now, all we gotta do is throw the ball to them while in their stride. That is the hard part... getting them the ball.

We need a better passing game before we judge the young talent. I will say this, DT is making the most of what little he does get.

neither of them have the "holy **** i have the ball" look anymore once they get it. still expecting big things from them.

Archived