Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chuck Weis...OC?

monsta

Clausen is the same kid that Quinn was. Has all the gifts, projects well, I would much rather have Golden Tate than Clausen, plus he is NOT a winner. Can't beat the big schools and this year, cant beat the schools he is supposed to beat.

Sorry, When did Clausen start to play Defense? That is what killed ND this year. Not the Offense.

Sorry, When did Clausen start to play Defense? That is what killed ND this year. Not the Offense.

I'll repost this from another thread...

It's interesting to note that Charlie Weis was 19-6 the 2 seasons before Clausen. Clausen...coach killer? Clausen was 3-7 his first season and was 13-12 his past 2 seasons.

This season, the ND defense was below average, but their 6 losses this season were a TD or less. The last 4 games that killed the season and Charlie Weis as their HC was mainly the result of turnovers. In those last 4 games, ND had 8 turnovers (only 2 takeaways) and Clausen either fumbled or was intercepted 6 times. For the season, the turnover ratio was 14 turnovers to 19 takeaways. The ND defense wasn't great, but they're blame for the 6-6 season is overblown.

So with a likely new regime coming into the DC area next year, what about Charlie Weis as the offensive coordinator?

I think Weis is a good proven OC i like the offenses he ran in the past.

But we have to let the HC hire his staff.

And if at all possible i would like to limit the changes made in the offseason.

If Wies was the OC it would mean a switch from the WCO to Weis (Erhardt-Perkins).

I like the idea of CW as OC with Gruden as HC. CW runs a wide open offense similar to the one CB5 ran in College. Draft some O-line and give Colt a chance under this scenario and we could have a winner. :logo:

Gruden as HC and Weis as OC would'nt make any sense. They run two different offenses, Gruden runs a WCO and Weis runs a Erhardt-Perkins, and both would want full control of the offense.

No.

How about Pete Carmichael OC for Saints as our HC and whoever he decides to bring with him?

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/Team/Coaches/People/Pete%20Carmichael%20Jr.aspx

Yes, but it probaly won't happen. I did some research on Carmichael a while back and he definitely is in line for a HC position in the near future. He turned down a promotion I think last year with the Dolphins. Don't quote me on that.

I think Carmichael will be the HC of what ever team Parcells decides to GM next year. Parcells brought in Sean Payton to Dallas so Carmichael is in his "network". I would love to get both of them but that would require Snyder to completely hand over the keys to the kingdom and I don't think he is ready for that yet. Even though that is exactly what needs to happen for this organization to become successful.

We would need to build a wider booth with double supports just to be able to squeeze that gastropod in to call plays. Also, I don't think he's a good coach...what Patriots offensive coordinator hasn't been successful? It must be so hard to play a game when you have to figure out how to exploit a defense with the likes of Tom Brady...

OK, I'll play the fantasy game. Let's say the new GM and HC want Weis as their OC. In that case, I wouldn't draft Clausen. Instead, I'd try to trade our 4th or 5th round pick for Quinn. Cleveland seems willing to deal its players for low value. Quinn's spent these years working in a dysfunctional system, so I think the jury is still out on what he can do. Of course the jury is still out on Clausen. Better to risk a 4th or 5th round pick on a Weis trained QB than a 1st round pick for the same. That way we could use our 1st round pick for an O-Lineman and still get a QB named Brady.

OK, I'll play the fantasy game. Let's say the new GM and HC want Weis as their OC. In that case, I wouldn't draft Clausen. Instead, I'd try to trade our 4th or 5th round pick for Quinn. Cleveland seems willing to deal its players for low value. Quinn's spent these years working in a dysfunctional system, so I think the jury is still out on what he can do. Of course the jury is still out on Clausen. Better to risk a 4th or 5th round pick on a Weis trained QB than a 1st round pick for the same. That way we could use our 1st round pick for an O-Lineman and still get a QB named Brady.

To my (untrained) eye Clausen has the better NFL physical tools of the two though. He has stronger arm than Quinn and is a much better downfield passer IMO.

If we are staying with a WCO style offense Quinn would be worth a roll of the dice if he could be had for say a 3rd round pick or lower. If we are going with a more vertical passing offense though I would rather risk the 1st round pick on Clausen if a new GM/HC think he fits what they want to run after working him out and a lot of film study.

I worry that getting Quinn and watching him check down throw after throw could make us start to look back wistfully on the good old days when we had Jason Campbell under centre .....

As to Weiss I would say the odds are slim to none he ends up in DC.

I'd take him as OC. But we should leave that up to the new GM/coach

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/12/05/charlie-weis-im-going-to-coach-in-the-nfl-next-year/

Charlie Weis: I'll Coach in NFL Next Year

While Notre Dame searches for its next head football coach, dismissed former coach Charlie Weis is doing his best to move on as well. Weis was fired on Nov. 30 after posting a 35-27 record over five seasons in South Bend, including a 6-6 mark this year.

But prior to taking over at Notre Dame in 2005, Weis put together a successful career as an NFL assistant -- his best work coming as the Patriots' offensive coordinator from 2000-04, a stretch during which New England won three Super Bowls.

Saturday, Weis met with reporters and said that he will be back in the NFL for the 2010 season.

"I'm going to coach in the NFL next year. I have no idea for who," Weis said, according to Rivals.com. All those stories that there have been 100 teams that have contacted me, that's a bunch of garbage. First of all, I wouldn't talk to anyone until after I was fired.

"I've probably had guys from 15 different teams text me and say, 'How are you doing?', including some guys you probably wouldn't even expect. Mark Sanchez -- 'Coach, I just want to know how you're doing.' The same Mark Sanchez who I texted last year and told him how great he played, and he said, 'Is this somebody just messing with me?' He thought it was just someone who was busting his chops."

Weis has no financial need to rush back into coaching -- his buyout at Notre Dame was rumored to be for as much as $18 million.

New England would seem to be a likely landing spot for Weis. He and Patriots head coach Bill Belichick have both said that they stay in touch with each other, and there's currently not an offensive coordinator on the Patriots' staff after Josh McDaniels left following the 2008 season to become head coach in Denver.

Weis could be an outside candidate for an NFL head coaching job himself, though that might be a longshot and it's not known if he would even have interest in such a move. We do know, though, that he wants to get back in the NFL soon -- and he expects that to happen.

"I'll coach on Sundays next year," Weis said. "I don't know where. But the dust will settle, and in January, I'll probably end up taking a job."

Archived