Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chuck Weis...OC?

monsta

He is a loser as a head coach in college...in the NFL, he has THREE super bowl wins as an offensive coordinator, decidely not a loser.

As for not wanting a "wide open" offense. Why not? Those offenses score points, those offenses keep you in EVERY game. Those offenses are different from what most of the NFC is playing. Paired with our defensive LINE and an attacking style of defense that wins ball games.

I threw this idea out there in the "PFW..Bill Parcells" thread. I think it would be a great opportunity to get a proven OC that knows how to mold an NFL QB. I think it would be great if we could get Weis and Clausen because Clausen will actually have a jump on veterans by having 3 years in the system. I also think Weis could turn Bradford into a great QB if that were to be our draft pick.

Gotta agree, Spurrier proved without doubt the wide open college coaches excel in the NFL. Sign him up now please Mr. Snyder.

(or maybe not)

Even though I'm not sure about Weis, comparing him to spurrier is not the same. Spurrier had no clue about how the NFL worked, Weis has already been in and been relatively successful in the NFL. When spurrier first got here Marvin Lewis had to show him how to run an NFL style practice.

Do you not understand or recognize that weis was a wildly succesful NFL coordinator? Bringing him in to be a coordinator again and JUST to manage the offense is a bad idea? YRB

OK, I admit that I did not. Perhaps I was a bit too quick on the reply button. Sorry, but I still have nightmares of the Spurrier years. Tell me more

I'm a huge ND fan. If you complain about Zorn and his play calling you don't want Weis. His play calling this year has sucked. It seems like it has gotten worse each game. Everyone on here would be making the same comments about how horrible the play calling is with him if he came here. Clausen is a good QB just not very mobile. Without key pick ups on the O-line he would not survive a season in the NFL.

NO NO NO. PLease do not put Clausen into this. I do not like Clausen as the QB. Notre Dame has a history of POS qb's who look good in school but are TERRIBLE in the pros. No thanks on Clausen!!!!

Yeah I know. Especially Montana and Theismann. They only went to six Super Bowls and won five rings between them.

And whoever said Powlus was supposed to be a some stud NFL player? Beano Cooke dubbed him as a future two-time Heisman winner (very unfairly before he even took a college snap). But other then Beano, I don't remember anyone drooling over Powlus beyond his senior year of high school.

So I gotta know, what do you consider great from a COORDINATOR stand point? Who is a great offensive coordinator in your book?

Look sometimes our fan base is as bad/impatient as our ownership.

You don't start hiring coordinators before you appoint a Head Coach. More over you dont appoint a Head Coach until you have a genuine NFL GM.

The only jobs Dan has this offseason are to fire Vinny, appoint a real GM and tell him to go fix things and let him know how big the cheques should be.

The GM hires a Head Coach and together they assemble a coaching staff and roster to fit the sytem the coach wants to run on both sides of the ball.

It's not complicated though a lot easier to say than do.

So with a likely new regime coming into the DC area next year, what about Charlie Weis as the offensive coordinator? Hire a defensive HC like Gruden/Zimmer, a real GM (who is number 2 in baltimore/new england?), and Weis as offensive coordinator if he gets fired from Notre Dame.

I think this could work big time. Bringing that wide open offense to the NFC would be a departure from the norm, especially in the east. And that attacking defense that zimmer/gruden had.

One problem. Weis does not know the other teams Def. Signs anymore.:laugh:

Sorry OP... you lost me at calling Gruden a "Defensive Minded Coach" :doh:

By defensive minded i mean understands that DEFENSE wins championships and wont mind putting in an attacking style defense. Gruden had a ton of offensive success with the raiders but didnt win a championship until he got with Tampa and was held together, primarily, by a STRONG defense. Even his offensive stars in Oakland were dominated by that defense in the superbowl. There are Offensive coaches who happen to be defensive minded...Bill belichick comes to mind immediately.

By defensive minded i mean understands that DEFENSE wins championships and wont mind putting in an attacking style defense. Gruden had a ton of offensive success with the raiders but didnt win a championship until he got with Tampa and was held together, primarily, by a STRONG defense. Even his offensive stars in Oakland were dominated by that defense in the superbowl. There are Offensive coaches who happen to be defensive minded...Bill belichick comes to mind immediately.

The op said hire a defensive coach like gruden/zimmer

So with a likely new regime coming into the DC area next year, what about Charlie Weis as the offensive coordinator? Hire a defensive HC like Gruden/Zimmer, a real GM (who is number 2 in baltimore/new england?), and Weis as offensive coordinator if he gets fired from Notre Dame.

I think this could work big time. Bringing that wide open offense to the NFC would be a departure from the norm, especially in the east. And that attacking defense that zimmer/gruden had.

There are Offensive coaches who happen to be defensive minded...Bill belichick comes to mind immediately.

When in hole stop digging.

First you have Gruden as a defensive minded coach now you have Belicheck as an offensive guru. Really?

Gruden has never called a defensive play in his life - he is a WCO offensive disciple who was on Holmgrens staff at Green Bay and is totally an offensive guy. His contribution to Tampas defense was shouting 'stop them' on 3rd down.

Meanwhile Bill Belicheck is a totally defensive focused coach - he was the DC under Bill Parcells at the Giants and his contribution to the Patriots offense is patting Tom Brady on his back when he jogs off after throwing a TD. That and going for it on 4th and two on his own 28 yard line when leading by 6 and with about 4 minutes to go ......

When in hole stop digging.

First you have Gruden as a defensive minded coach now you have Belicheck as an offensive guru. Really?

Gruden has never called a defensive play in his life - he is a WCO offensive disciple who was on Holmgrens staff at Green Bay and is totally an offensive guy. His contribution to Tampas defense was shouting 'stop them' on 3rd down.

Meanwhile Bill Belicheck is a totally defensive focused coach - he was the DC under Bill Parcells at the Giants and his contribution to the Patriots offense is patting Tom Brady on his back when he jogs off after throwing a TD. That and going for it on 4th and two on his own 28 yard line when leading by 6 and with about 4 minutes to go ......

**** I meant Brian Billick

**** I meant Brian Billick

:D I've done that kind of thing many times as well - sometime I type faster than I think!

Even so I don't think Brian Billick had that much to do with the Ravens defense - he had Marvin Lewis as his DC when they made the Super Bowl run as I recall.

Archived