Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dan: Please re-sign Jason Campbell (merged)

21cents

If he checks down too quickly, and completes passes on 3rd down before the yardstick, how is this not a problem?

Why is it that people do not see this about his play?

He absolutely needs a running game to succeed...more so than a lot of other QBs. Without it, he becomes a less than average QB.

This season, JC has completed 168-of-254 passes--a 66.1 completion percentage, eighth best in the league--for 1,870 yards, 10 touchdowns and eight interceptions. His QB rating is 87.9.

Campbell was a perfect 9-for-9 passing for 92 yards in the second half of the Redskins’ 27-17 win over Denver.

If stats is all we should go by, Hunter Smith kicks Candle's hiney.

Almost as bad as career backup Collins kicked Candle's hiney in 2007.

This season, JC has completed 168-of-254 passes--a 66.1 completion percentage, eighth best in the league--for 1,870 yards, 10 touchdowns and eight interceptions. His QB rating is 87.9.

Campbell was a perfect 9-for-9 passing for 92 yards in the second half of the Redskins’ 27-17 win over Denver.

..and is 19-26 as a starter

hahaha...jason in the pro bowl. Hahahahahaha.

He was on the trading block all last summer. No one wanted him. The only way he goes to the Pro Bowl is on United Airlines

Jason Campbell can be good. He's has to get into a flow... like a shooter in basketball. If you give this guy a decent running game and targets that can consistently run good routes. Jason Campbell can be very good. Sure, Campbell can make the Pro Bowl... Who's in the NFC? Brees and Farve are locks.... but after them.. who do you have?

I really don't care. Yards are yards

-To a point. If you never go deep, which would be reflected in (yards through the air), it allows teams to stack the box... There is more to it than yards just being yards.

.:laugh:What a load of rambling nonsense.

-Then I am curious as to why you believe Campbell has a good first %? We both know its not because he goes deep

Well he did have 3 TDs called back due to poor officiating during that stretch, but with poor Oline play, he threw 9 TDs during the first 8 games of this year, which is much better than the 5 that he threw behind the same crappy Oline during the 2nd half of last year, and it's more than the 1st half of last year as well.

-How is his TD/TO ratio this year?

-To a point. If you never go deep, which would be reflected in (yards through the air), it allows teams to stack the box... There is more to it than yards just being yards.
Not necessarily. The screen to Thomas on Sunday gained 0 yards through the air, but it was all the way to the outside, so an extra man in the box wouldn't have/didn't (don't know whether the box was stacked on that play). Also, even if he throws a short pass on a stacked box, the stacked box can still be exploited. On our opening drive, we ran the ball well, which led to a PA-rollout. The PA worked, and JC hit Davis for what was just a 2 yard throw-&-catch, but because of the PA, he had nothing but open field in front of him, and he picked up over 20 yards.
-Then I am curious as to why you believe Campbell has a good first %? We both know its not because he goes deep
Hard to say for sure, though he converted a lot of 3rd & longs in the STL game.
-How is his TD/TO ratio this year?
Not good, though only about half of his turnover were his fault, and there've been 3 dropped TDs.

The classic 'stats' defense for Jason Campbell. And such glowing numbers compiled against stalwart defenses like the Lions, Rams, Chiefs, Bucs, etc. Lest we forget, -this was the easy part of the schedule. And we've racked up 3 wins.

And the great thing about these stats is how by the off-season, we'll have forgotten how lucky Cambell was --being bailed out by his receivers for this 9 for 9 stretch being cited. I can still recall a few times when he was throwing behind receivers, or throwing short 1-yard tosses to a receiver who broke lots of tackles for big yardage. But stats-wise, Campbell gets the completion, and credit for the yardage.

Frankly stats will never do justice to the game context. I still remember how you could see the Skins perking up after the great running by Betts and Rock, and especially that big gain generated exclusively by Thomas. We were running "downhill" then, the Broncos were having to stack the box, and looking very tired. We had so much more momentum in the second half, the Bronco offense was giving us the ball and allowing us to dominate time of possession ---and Lewis only trusted Campbell with 9 passes.

But Campbell's stats look good in the second half, don't they? Nine for nine!! I just wonder what would have happened if he'd tried one of those long bombs again in the second half to an open Moss streaking deep down the sideline? 10 for 10? Hmmmm? ;)

The classic 'stats' defense for Jason Campbell. And such glowing numbers compiled against stalwart defenses like the Lions, Rams, Chiefs, Bucs, etc. Lest we forget, -this was the easy part of the schedule. And we've racked up 3 wins.

And the great thing about these stats is how by the off-season, we'll have forgotten how lucky Cambell was --being bailed out by his receivers for this 9 for 9 stretch being cited. I can still recall a few times when he was throwing behind receivers, or throwing short 1-yard tosses to a receiver who broke lots of tackles for big yardage. But stats-wise, Campbell gets the completion, and credit for the yardage.

Frankly stats will never do justice to the game context. I still remember how you could see the Skins perking up after the great running by Betts and Rock, and especially that big gain generated exclusively by Thomas. We were running "downhill" then, the Broncos were having to stack the box, and looking very tired. We had so much more momentum in the second half, the Bronco offense was giving us the ball and allowing us to dominate time of possession ---and Lewis only trusted Campbell with 9 passes.

But Campbell's stats look good in the second half, don't they? Nine for nine!! I just wonder what would have happened if he'd tried one of those long bombs again in the second half to an open Moss streaking deep down the sideline? 10 for 10? Hmmmm? ;)

LoL

Only on extremeskins will we beat up our own starting QB in a victory where the QB went 9-9 in the second half.

Bailed out by his receivers? How about the dropped passes?

How many of our receivers have made a highlight reel catch over the pass 2 seasons?

When you look at the highlight reel catches their normally on off target throws where a receiver makes a "heroic" effort to make the catch or as you say "bail the QB out"

That catch that Kelly made was imo the best catch of the year for us but that catch is routine for the top tier receivers.

The stats are universal for every QB not just QB every argument you make about JC's stats can be said for every QB in the league.

Even if you go to Football Outsiders JC is in the middle of the pack and they try to account for all the things you mention.

Every QB makes mistakes every game,yet you are so focused on attacking JC for every mistake that you forget that his mistakes are the same mistakes any QB in the NFL makes, i can post a clip of from NFL.com of Ben Rothlisberger doing the same exact things.

and Lewis only trusted Campbell with 9 passes.

You see, this is the part that is truly becoming obvious. It's clear that Campbell is being tightly managed by the staff. While many QBs around the league have the offense dumped on their laps, the Redskin offense is designed to minimize Campbell as much as a QB in a pro offense can be minimized. For instance, that "Yoder Play" that Campbell botched - I guess, according to Zorn, it was a 1-read route. And Campbell kept with it while dropping back, hitting his drop, pumping, pull down, then pumping and pulling down again. WTF? A QB is only allowed to make one read on a multi-player route, when he has time to make more? They are looking to keep the game out of Campbell's hands as much as possible.

The 9-for-9 is trotted out, but the only passes that stick out to me are the screen to Thomas (all Thomas) and the slick reachback grab that Kelly had. Thomas also had a nice sideline catch on his knees, too.

The only notable throw that I can remember is the one to ARE where he stepped up in the pocket and hit ARE on a deep out - and I can't remember if that was first or second half. Man, if Campbell could make those plays seem commonplace, he would be something. But, those plays are few and far between. The only thing that he has become a master of is missing opportunities.

why are you people still arguing

unless JC goes 28/28 460 yards, and 5 touchdowns.... people will ALWAYS find something to harp on....

oh, you mean everyone is waiting for him to have that massive game that all great QBs have from time to time? campbells best game was a 3 TD performance in a loss 2 years ago.

so yes, its about time campbell put up a top shelf performance. im not holding my breath though.

You see, this is the part that is truly becoming obvious. It's clear that Campbell is being tightly managed by the staff. While many QBs around the league have the offense dumped on their laps, the Redskin offense is designed to minimize Campbell as much as a QB in a pro offense can be minimized. For instance, that "Yoder Play" that Campbell botched - I guess, according to Zorn, it was a 1-read route. And Campbell kept with it while dropping back, hitting his drop, pumping, pull down, then pumping and pulling down again. WTF? A QB is only allowed to make one read on a multi-player route, when he has time to make more? They are looking to keep the game out of Campbell's hands as much as possible.

The 9-for-9 is trotted out, but the only passes that stick out to me are the screen to Thomas (all Thomas) and the slick reachback grab that Kelly had. Thomas also had a nice sideline catch on his knees, too.

The only notable throw that I can remember is the one to ARE where he stepped up in the pocket and hit ARE on a deep out - and I can't remember if that was first or second half. Man, if Campbell could make those plays seem commonplace, he would be something. But, those plays are few and far between. The only thing that he has become a master of is missing opportunities.

none of those 9 passes traveled more than 5 yards. it was all dump offs and screens, for an entire half.

anytime we have a lead this season, were gonna see this out of campbell. ive never seen a 5th year QBs job so minimized. youd think this was his 8th start or something lol.

oh, you mean everyone is waiting for him to have that massive game that all great QBs have from time to time? campbells best game was a 3 TD performance in a loss 2 years ago.

so yes, its about time campbell put up a top shelf performance. im not holding my breath though.

you said it yourself...

campbell is not a great QB... i dont know why you people expect him to be..

There are maybe 6-7 great QB's in this entire league....

but, like i said, he isnt nearly as bad as people on this forum make him out to be

LoL

Only on extremeskins will we beat up our own starting QB in a victory where the QB went 9-9 in the second half.

By definition, going 9-9 in the second half means the receivers did not drop the ball.

However it does not mean the ball was being thrown that much better by Campbell in the second half. While Jason did make a few good tosses, there were more passes that were not thrown accurately.

From my perspective, the receivers stepped up their play more than Campbell did. In fact, I almost got the sense the Sherms didn't want to put the ball into Campbell's hands any more than absolutely necessary.

My main point was that I don't feel 'stats' are all that good a descriptor of the game context. And I wanted to put the often-cited 9-for-9 stat into perspective.

I think this most recent victory was due to great outings by other players than Campbell. I suspect that Jason did NOT receive a game ball for his performance in the Broncos game.

I'd be more impressed if Campbell supporters started offering up what Campbell does really well. Sure, he plays "safe", but what does he do really well? Is it reading/diagnosing defenses? His pocket presence? His touch passing? His clutch play? His strong on-field leadership? His long bomb passing? ...What?

you said it yourself...

campbell is not a great QB... i dont know why you people expect him to be..

There are maybe 6-7 great QB's in this entire league....

but, like i said, he isnt nearly as bad as people on this forum make him out to be

even a guy like cutler, who is struggling badly this year and a lot of people think is overrated, has still found ways to have some mammoth games. im assuming no one considers him "great".

so where is campbells big game? wheres that 350 yard, 4 TD performance in a blowout win? is tony Romo sits to pee great? im pretty sure hes done this before. hell, matt schuab has done this a few times, is he great?

I'd be more impressed if Campbell supporters started offering up what Campbell does really well.

First, I'm not a Campbell supporter

But there are some things he does well.

1) He cycles through his reads pretty quickly at this point. Now he rarely, if ever, returns to find the receiver once he breaks free, but his initial reads are quick.

2) He throws the intermediate out pretty well.

Unfortunately, that's about it after all this time.

First, I'm not a Campbell supporter

But there are some things he does well.

1) He cycles through his reads pretty quickly at this point. Now he rarely, if ever, returns to find the receiver once he breaks free, but his initial reads are quick.

2) He throws the intermediate out pretty well.

Unfortunately, that's about it after all this time.

2) I can agree with. As I said previously, he threw a very nice one to ARE in the Denver game. It's hard to build an offense based on this though :).

1) He may cyle through his reads quickly, but that doesn't me he does it well. His reads are pretty bad.

And by the same token, only on ES would the past sins of so many games be forgiven and forgotten at the expense of the VERY few and far between half decent to good ones.

And so it continues .....

Hail.

hes become the kid whos so bad in school that a D+ is cause for excitement.

reminds me of tommy boy.

"oh.....my....god......i.....PASSED!!! I GOT A D+!!!!!!"

Not necessarily. The screen to Thomas on Sunday gained 0 yards through the air, but it was all the way to the outside, so an extra man in the box wouldn't have/didn't (don't know whether the box was stacked on that play). Also, even if he throws a short pass on a stacked box, the stacked box can still be exploited. On our opening drive, we ran the ball well, which led to a PA-rollout. The PA worked, and JC hit Davis for what was just a 2 yard throw-&-catch, but because of the PA, he had nothing but open field in front of him, and he picked up over 20 yards

-I agree there certainly can be plays that exploit the 8th man in the box... My point was more about the running game. Since Campbell's doesn't get a lot of his passing yards through the air safeties etc are allowed to play much closer to the LOS, which can be a detriment to our running game.

.Hard to say for sure, though he converted a lot of 3rd & longs in the STL game.

-Ya he did do a good job at that, but I doubt one game really made that big a difference on his statistics through 10 games, ya know?

Not good, though only about half of his turnover were his fault, and there've been 3 dropped TDs.

-Agree to disagree, if a pass is tipped then picked ill give it to Jason its not his fault, but the majority of those fumbles not all but the majority were in my opinion due to him holding on to the ball for too long, and where he holds the ball at like his waste when he's winding up.

hes become the kid whos so bad in school that a D+ is cause for excitement.

reminds me of tommy boy.

"oh.....my....god......i.....PASSED!!! I GOT A D+!!!!!!"

Excellent, all be it sad and totally to many on this boards detriment, analogy man.

Seriously, if they refuse to see it, the one thing I pray to the good Lord above is no other teams fans are reading this on a regular basis.

We're a complete Nationwide laughing stock as it is as both as an organization and what happens on the field, without certain sections of this fan base adding to it with their delusions.

Hail.

How many of our receivers have made a highlight reel catch over the pass 2 seasons?

-Dropped passes much like missed reads happen to all players, it depends which one out-weighs the other

When you look at the highlight reel catches their normally on off target throws where a receiver makes a "heroic" effort to make the catch or as you say "bail the QB out"

-I know it was pre-season but that catch Moss made was friggin incredible, so it isn't as if the talent isn't there

That catch that Kelly made was imo the best catch of the year for us but that catch is routine for the top tier receivers.

-Agreed, but do who gets more opportunities? If you did it by percentages I bet kelly wouldn't be far off.

Even if you go to Football Outsiders JC is in the middle of the pack and they try to account for all the things you mention.

-I think you may have mis-read something, or I'm confused and you guys are talking about 08, but Jason Campbell ranks 24th in DVOA.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb

Every QB makes mistakes every game,yet you are so focused on attacking JC for every mistake that you forget that his mistakes are the same mistakes any QB in the NFL makes, i can post a clip of from NFL.com of Ben Rothlisberger doing the same exact things.

-Has anyone denied that all QB's make mistakes? People here harp on Campbell's mistakes because they seem to come at extremely inopportune moments, the type of moments you would hope your qb would make a play on

Archived