Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN.com: Dad in 'balloon boy' case turns himself in (MET)

SiCkSoULjA

Link and story would be nice...

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/11/12/balloon.boy.charges/index.html

Lawyer: 'Balloon boy' parents to plead guilty to hoax-related charges

(CNN) -- The Colorado parents in last month's notorious "balloon boy" case will plead guilty to offenses for creating a hoax that their son had flown away in a large balloon.

Richard and Mayumi Heene are to plead Friday morning in Larimer County Court, according to a statement issued by Richard Heene's attorney.

Mayumi Heene is expected to plead guilty to an offense of false reporting to authorities, a misdemeanor of the lowest level, according to the attorney.

Richard Heene is expected to plead guilty to a felony offense of attempting to influence a public servant.

Though the Heenes could receive jail time for the charges, the prosecutor has recommended probation, Richard Heene's attorney said.

The threat of deportation for Mayumi Heene was a factor in the plea deal negotiation, the attorney's statement said.

...more...

*Yawn*

Time to move on...

You're only giving them what they wanted in the first place....

Yes these people are idiots but I dont think they deserve jail time for a first offense like this. I wouldnt have been upset over a weekend in jail or something like that though.

In my opinion they should be fined. Be forced to pay for the entire cost of the search, which was easily in the millions. Maybe even be fined for wasting the time of the American public. Take the average number of people that were watching news channels during the few hours this was going on, and multiply that number by the average hourly wage of people who watch the news. Add that to their fine. It would be in the tens of millions. And it would be justified.

Yet we lock people up for years, if not decades, for smoking a plant that is relatively harmless :doh:

You never miss a chance, do you. Act getting tired....

Yes these people are idiots but I dont think they deserve jail time for a first offense like this. I wouldnt have been upset over a weekend in jail or something like that though.

They most certainly do deserve jail time. Let's run down the line here:

1. They concocted a hoax.

2. They instructed their kids to lie to everyone about it

3. They INVOLVED one of their kids directly in the hoax

And let's not forget the hoax itself, which wasted the time of a large number of law enforcement personel, as well as disrupting services at a major airport.

And all they got was probation and possibly a few months jail time? This goes right back into my rant in an earlier thread about how our justice system isn't tough enough. They lowered the charges to keep the family together and keep the mother from being deported...are you kidding?

These people shouldn't be parenting any kids, not when they're involving the kids in their stupid scheme. I'd take the kids away from them, and deport the mother. The father would be getting a lot worse than the 90 days that is currently the MAX he could face, unless additional charges are filed.

But I'm not in charge, and I gather that many of you think the punishments are appropriate or too harsh. I don't get it.

Its all well and good that we say what they ought to have recieved as punishment, but they can aonly be charged with laws that are already on the book. We can't just make up stuff as we go along. Honestly, I think that the "influencing a public servant" charge is BS. But whatever...charge them with what you can and move on. No sense in clogging up the judicial system more than it already is, especially when i doubt they will be repeat offenders.

They most certainly do deserve jail time. Let's run down the line here:

1. They concocted a hoax.

2. They instructed their kids to lie to everyone about it

3. They INVOLVED one of their kids directly in the hoax

And let's not forget the hoax itself, which wasted the time of a large number of law enforcement personel, as well as disrupting services at a major airport.

And all they got was probation and possibly a few months jail time? This goes right back into my rant in an earlier thread about how our justice system isn't tough enough. They lowered the charges to keep the family together and keep the mother from being deported...are you kidding?

These people shouldn't be parenting any kids, not when they're involving the kids in their stupid scheme. I'd take the kids away from them, and deport the mother. The father would be getting a lot worse than the 90 days that is currently the MAX he could face, unless additional charges are filed.

But I'm not in charge, and I gather that many of you think the punishments are appropriate or too harsh. I don't get it.

They wasted time and money they did not harm anyone. For a first offense, they should be fined or maybe a weekend in jail. No serious time that is just ridiculous. Now I agree with you they shouldnt be parenting and I think child services should be keeping a close eye on them.

If I were the Judge :evilg: I'd give them a couple thousand hours worth of community service. Since they are so interested in flight, they could spend half that time at the airport cleaning the bathrooms wearing T shirts saying

"I am balloon boy senior and I got my reality show right here" while having to listen to this all day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWVe3AB8OY8 :silly:

Archived