Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Good news: You are the new Redskins GM - an optimistic thread

ceviker

There are too many negative threads here (yes, I know I'm the culprit of several of them).

So let's do what Redskins fans do best - get excited about next year! I'd like to see what all of you would do to help this team. Couple simple things to keep in mind I ask:

- Assume next year is cap-free

- Be realistic (i.e., trading Portis for a 1st rounder won't happen)

- Try not to rip on other people's ideas. This is an optimistic thread!

Ok, so here I go (this will be long…):

Assumed Redskins 2009 record: 4-12

Assumed Redskins draft position: 4th

GM (besides yourself of course): Anyone but Vinny

Head Coach: I'll let the GM decide. Wait, I'm the GM! I'll say Gruden, why not

Offensive Coordinator: Whoever Coach wants

Defensive Coordinator: Jerry Gray or whoever Coach wants (not Blache; I'm tired of his statistically high, reality crap defense)

Move: Cut ties with Jason Campbell

Reason: Its obvious Campbell is not the answer here. He was not the sole problem but was a big problem. I wish him success to wherever he goes.

Move: Trade Landry

Reason: CP was the heart and sole of this team. He was a HOF player that we abused and now has little in the tank. A playoff team lacking at the RB position would trade a mid-round pick for CP

Move: Trade Rogers

Reason: Carols' problem used to only be dropping picks. For some reason, he's also getting burned in coverage now. A team will trade a draft pick for him for his upside and we need picks.

Move: Trade ARE

Reason: He has done nothing for us. What happened to the Pittsburgh ARE? He's not worth much, but I can see a team like the Dolphins be willing to part with a 5th rounder or so for him.

Move: Trade Carter

Reason: I love Carter. He's awesome. But he will be coming off a big season this year and his value will be up. If he gets to double-digits, I bet you could get a 3rd rounder for him. Plus, we need to move Orakpo to DE and I'm happy with Jarmon on the other side.

Move: Cut Sellers and Rabach.

Reason: I'm tired of these guys not playing. That simple.

Free Agency

Nothing major. I sign a C and CB (maybe a S) to compete for a starting position. Not sure who will be available, but my requirements is that he's under 30 and is someone who shows heart. Some other signings for depth.

Draft

- Trade down to about spot 10 or so. Based on draft chart and assuming we get have the fourth overall pick, its worth 1,800 points. Assuming we trade with spot 10 (1,300), that leaves a deficit of 500 points. If they give us their 2nd rounder (480pts), that's about even. So assume now we have the 10th overall pick, the 36th overall pick and the 42nd pick. Sexy time.

- This is a huge guess, but this what picks I think we would have gotten from the trades above (Landry: 3rd, Rogers: 3rd, ARE: 5th, Carter: 3rd). I'm going to "risk" that and say we'll get 2 thirds and 2 5ths. Let's also say they are all "mid range" picks. Looking at the draft chart, that's average value of 420 for 2nd rounders and 34 for 5th rounders, for total "ammunition" of 908 points.

- With the 10th overall pick, the Washington Redskins select: Russell Okung, OT Oklahoma State

Reason: At this point, I don't think Sam Bradford, Colt McCoy, Tony Pike et all. Are 100% the real thing. They could be. And after watching how the college season plays out, I might change my mind. But at this point, I'm not 100% sold. I'm 100% sold on Russell Okung. Hello anchor of the new Washington Redskins line.

- Somewhere about 8 spots later, I announce a trade for the 18th pick overall (900 pts) for the two second rounders I have (840) plus Ladell Betts.

- With the 18th overall pick, the Washington Redskins select: Jahvid Best, RB California

Reason: Now we have game breaking speed and an elite player at the RB position. This guy is a superstar and he's much more of a sure thing IMO than the QBs here.

- With the 36th overall pick, the Washington Redskins select: Best available QB on the board, QB, School

Reason: I have my franchise OT. I have my franchise RB. I don't know if this guy will be the franchise QB, but this is a deep QB draft and I think the risk-reward balance is right here. My plan is to have him and Colt Brennan battle out in camp and let the best man win. If I see zero potential throughout the season, next year I will use my first to draft the franchise QB.

- With the 42nd overall pick, the Washington Redskins select: Best available OL on the board, OL, School

Reason: We need a lotta help in a lotta places, but nothing more so than OL. As good as Okung is, he can't play more than one position on the OL at once. This guy, be it a guard, center or tackle, will hopefully anchor our line for years to come.

- Rest of the draft: Generally, will go BPA. But I will absolutely at least get one CB and one S. And no TE's, no matter how good he is.

Opening Line-Up

QB: Rookie QB or Brennan

HB: Jahvid Best

FB: Williams

TE: Cooley

WR1: Moss

WR2: Marko Mitchell

WR3/4: Thomas/Kelly

OL: Okung, Rookie OL or someone on or team now, FA Center or Rookie OL, Dockery, Levi Jones or Rookie OL

DE: Orakpo

DT: Hanyesworth

DT: Golston

DE: Jarmon

OLB: McIntosh

MLB: Fletcher

OLB: Wilson

CB1: Hall

CB2: Smoot/Barnes/Tryon/FA signing/Rookie

FS: Horton

SS: Reed / Moore

K: Swish (he's been money this year, hasn't he?)

P: Hunter

KR: Not Rock

PR: No more ARE!

I'm going to assume that the year will be a rebuilding year and we'll finish somewhere between 6-10 and 9-7. QB will be the big question but hopefully CB5 or XYZ will show promise.

Wow that was long. At least it was fun to dream!

Wow well thought out... I like it for the most part. We still need more O Line.

I like the Okung pick and Best. As for the QB, I think we need to just get another OL with your other OL pick.

So we have 3 new offensive lineman in the draft with a new RB. Grab a couple of FA's (RT, C) and you have some quality depth.

Get Colt back from IR, get a FA QB on the market. Have a open competition.

Assumed Redskins 2009 record: 4-12

Assumed Redskins draft position: 4th

GM (besides yourself of course): Anyone but Vinny

Head Coach: Bill Cowher, Jon Gruden, or Jerry Gray

Offensive Coordinator: Coach decides

Defensive Coordinator: Coach decides

Move: Get rid of Portis

Reason: Dump him for a cheaper, better, younger back. Get whatever you can get for him, if not just cut him. He is past his prime.

Move: Get rid of Randel El

Reason: He costs too much to be doing nothing for us.

Move: Trade Landry

Reason: If we could get something decent for him, I would do it because he is too hit or miss.

Free Agency

Look for QB, RB, OL, LB, CB, S

Draft

Trade out of the top 10 because not one guy can fix our problems. Get as many picks as you can and make the OLine the priority.

Opening Line-Up

QB: Campbell, FA, or Rookie

HB: Betts, FA, or rookie

FB: Sellers

WR1: Moss

WR2: Marko Mitchell

WR3/4: Thomas/Kelly

OL: Dockery and possibly Heyer are the only ones I'd keep as starters. Fill in with FA and draft

DE: Orakpo

DT: Hanyesworth

DT: Golston

DE: Carter/Jarmon

OLB: McIntosh

MLB: Fletcher

OLB: FA, Rookie, or Blades

CB1: Hall

CB2: Rogers

FS: Daughty

SS: Horton

K: Swish (he's been money this year, hasn't he?)

KR: Cartwright

PR: Moss and maybe let Hall get some returns

OK 1st thing is Jon Grudens is the new HC of the washington redskins

Jon Gruden picks his own support staff

players cut/traded are:

Randell El

Campbell

Yoder

Portis

Rabach

Wynne

Preference for starters given to players under 30years of age

the only FA I would chase would be Karlos Dansby (*LB) this allows some quality depth and provides flexibility in the secondary as he can play in any LB position, also means Arakpo could be left in the DE position.

Punter and kicker stay, all the vets become teachers for the young players and i would interchange the vets and youngsters on each down so that the young players can learn

I am looking at Ponder as the QB for season 2011, colt gets the job next year, the OLine is supplemented through the draft, i would like Chris Samuals as the OLine coach but that would be up to coach gruden, in the draft i would take the best at each position we need to address, no point in a QB when we have a young qb as it is and TC does ok as the backup. I would start using young players and rebuilding the team from day one

I think, at best, we're drafting 6th. A lot of really bad teams out there this year, even at a 4-12 record we'll go 6th. With that pick, generally using Walterfootball as a guideline to where players go, I would do this:

Resign McIntosh, Golston, Smith, Chris Wilson, Lorenzo Alexander, Reed Doughty, Albright, Levi Jones, Mike Williams and Suisham, tender Campbell and Rogers, and release anyone else.

Trade Carter for the Jaguar's 3rd (72). Trade Rogers for the Ram's 2nd rounder (36). Trade back in the 1st from 6th to 13th with San Fran and pick up their 2nd rounder (45).

1st (13): McClain

2nd (36): Trade for a 1st in 2011

2nd (39): Dowling

2nd (45): Iupati

3rd (72): Capers

4th (102): Devine

5th (134): Ted Larsen

6th (166): Antonio Coleman

7th (198): Robert Johnson

That gives us a depth chart of:

QB: Campbell or Brennan (training camp battle)

WR1: Moss/Kelly

WR2: Thomas/Mitchell

TE: Cooley/Davis

RB: Portis/Betts

Scatback: Devine

LT: Samuels/Capers

LG: Dockery/Rhinehart

C: Williams or Larsen (training camp battle)/Rabach

RG: Iupati/Rhinehart

RT: Jones/Williams

RDE: Orakpo/Coleman

DT: Haynesworth/Golston

DT: Griffin/Golston

LDE: Jarmon/Alexander

SLB: McClain/Coleman

MLB: Fletcher/Blades

WLB: McIntosh

CB1: Hall/Smoot

CB2: Dowling/Tryon

FS: Landry/Johnson

SS: Horton/Doughty

K: Suisham

KR: Devine

PR: Devine

This would give us a great setup for next year I think. 2 1sts in 2011 can be spent on a QB and DT/FS/RT/C/WR/SLB etc, depending on what we need. And a lot of those needs (FS/RT/C/SLB) can be filled in the 2nd round or later. We drafted Brennan, and a lot of pundits liked him, so I think it would be a waste to never actually give him a shot (afterall, Brady was a 6th rounder too).

Devine gives us a gamebreaker for 5-10 touches a game. Iupati, Capers, and Larsen, at the very least, give our line superior depth to what we have this year and I think Iupati and Larsen could start. Capers might be a bit raw, but a year behind Samuels might be all he needs to develop into a starting LT. At RT I believe Jones can handle that spot for the next 2-3 years and be good at it, but I guess we'll find out soon if that is the case or not.

McClain is the heir to Fletcher and spends the first year or two at SLB. Coleman has been a productive DE in the SEC but is on the small side for it in the pros. I see him as a possible special teams standout and a good backup at RDE and possibly a long-term solution to SLB when McClain moves to the middle. Robert Johnson is a talented FS who, at the very least, can help our special teams. I figure if he works out he can be our future FS and move Landry to SS, or, if Dowling can't fill in Rogers shoes, Dowling has the size to move to FS.

Assuming I am the GM:

Head Coach: Russ Grimm (he picks his own coaching staff)

I like Russ Grimm as head coach not just because he is a former redskin and redskin's coach but because of the great coaches he has had the privilege of coaching under. Both Ken Whisenhunt and Mike Tomlin have done a great job with their teams; Grimm came from the same staff of coaches under Bill Cower.

assuming it is an uncapped year as the OP said. I would trade/Cut:

Randle El: 7th round pick at best

Carter: currently has a high trade value (3rd at best)

I wouldn't trade Portis because I don't think we would get much for him (maybe a 6th) same goes for Landry....he killed any trade value he had w/ his play this year.

resign Rocky....he has played solid all year.

resign Campbell.....I think he has played pretty well the past two years (considering the terrible line he has played behind) I don't expect to turn this team around in one year, and I'm not drafting a franchise QB when I have no offensive line to protect him. We need to use 2010 offseason to rebuild our Offensive line. If Campbell doesn't play well behind a good line in 2010, we draft our franchise QB in 2011.

Free Agents: We need to bring in a few guys to compete for offensive line jobs. Hopefully we can land a RG and RT in free agency. We also need to bring in someone to compete for the #2 WR spot (I like Steve Breston)

Draft:

1st round: Russell Okung, OT Oklahoma State (if available, if not available...trade back with one of the teams with two 1st round picks . Okung is the only Tackle in the draft currently rated as a top 10 pick. If Okung is not available I'd trade back and pick up the best available tackle and best available Middle Linebacker.

2nd round: Best available Guard or Tackle....should be a 1st round quality offensive lineman who slipped.

3rd round (from carter trade): Running back. I'm not sure who will be available, but there should be a decent running back...maybe Demarco Murry.

being that you are highly unlikely to land a starting caliper player in the later rounds, I'd use the rest of our draft picks using the BPA approach.

starters:

QB: Campbell

RB: Portis, Draft pick

OL: Draft pick or Samuels (if he doesn't retire)/Dockery/Rabach/draft pick or FA/Draft Pick or FA

WR: Moss/Breston/Mitchell/Kelly/Thomas

DE: Orakpo/Jarmon

DT: Haynesworth/Golston

LB: Wilson/Fletcher/Mcintosh (if we trade back in the 1st round, we would have the LB to compete for the starting SAM LB spot

CB: Hall/Rogers/Tryon/Barnes

S: Horton/Doughty (keep Landry on the bench until he learns how to tackle)

well the one sure thing is every big contract not owned by a young guys is gone.cp,moss,fletcher,carter,rabach,smauels(even if he does come back)griff,laron unlkess the new gm or coach likes him (man, we should have taken Patrick willis the way i wanted).and a few others.then with if they want to rework some guys contracts and keep them fine,thats up to the new Gm.but this is a true start over in every sense of the word.no bad contracts alot of salary cap space and some draft picks.with the salary room and picks s and a Gm that is worth his wieght in gold can turn this thing around in a couple of years.by the end of year 2 we should see the team starting to jell and look good,i really want to get back to a more hard nosed type of team like we were in the 80's.if Polian of the Colts is just a GM and Snyder hires him as President and gm and lots of money the credibility of this team would go up consideribly.thats the type of Gm that this team needs.but want and need are two different things.Snyder is up to the plate and all eyes are on him .everyone is watching,he can't whiff on this one or it will be over for him.but if he hits it then things could be forgotten when the winning starts.

*If the record was 6-10 or worse,

Wishing I was the GM:

I'd look for a head coach that's fiery as well as a teacher. That will command the respect of his players and will truly build a team. Has to be a motivator, as well. I wouldn't want to go with a re-tread but if I have to then so be it.

D-coordinator: Let the HC find him

*they would then build their staff

O-Coordinator: Let the HC find him

*the would then build their staff

Trade: Landry

Reason: he does have value and could start for a number of teams

Trade or Release: ARE

Reason: he hasn't played up to his contract and he hasn't produced on STs

Renegotiate Portis' deal

Reason: he just hasn't been the same

Release: Campbell

Reason: This hurts more than anyone because I was one of Campbells' staunch supporters. I just don't think he can lead this team like I would need him to.

Release: Heyer

Reason: He hasn't stepped up and taken ahold of the T positions along the line.

Release: Wynn/Smoot/Rhinehart/Daniels

Reason: Both Daniels and Wynn are getting older and next season, we need a serious youth movement. Rhinehart has no heart. Smoot just doesn't have the swagger.

Draft: O-line, D-line, RB, S, and MLB.

Starters, with a 6-10 or worse, all positions are open. NOBODY should expect a starting position.

Battles for starting positions would be:

QBs-Collins, Brennan, Woodson

WRs-Moss, Thomas, Kelly, Mitchell

O-line

D-line

Last and certainly not least, anybody not wanting to be apart of the new program: give me a list of 5 teams (that you want to play for) not in the division and I'll trade you. We need players that understand the legacy of the B&G. This substandard managing happening now hurts more than anything we put on the field.

:helmet:

At 0500 I begin my tour of duty as GM of the Redskins.

Reason: The early bird catches the worm!

At 0600 I begin popping Excedrin Migraine plus tablets.

Reason: reviewing the coaching structure and roster has given me a severe headache.

0700 I slip out the back door at Ashburn and leave the facility.

Reason: I intend to head to Leesburg to get hammered at the nearest isolated bar I can find.... On the way I call my lawyer about loopholes to get out of the contract.

1900 I awaken in my new BMW covered in vomit.

Reason: I got hammered (see above entry) and threw up all over myself. Apparently at some point I had eaten chicken wings judging from my suit....

2000 I arrive back at Ashburn and drunkenly scrawl the following lists:

Departures:

Coaching staff.

Portis

ARE

Rabach

R Thomas

Batiste (whatever)

Sellers

Yoder

Red Snapper

Cartwright

Wynn

Daniels (That we keep worthless old guys around for "leadership" when we have no leadership is idiotic. Fletcher and Big AL can provide the leadership, and let some young guys step up.)

Tender JC and Rogers so we at least get picks if they leave FA.

Let new coaching staff evaluate Hall, R. Jackson, Griffith, Montgomerys (both), Rhinehart and Heyer.

Try to get 3rd round pick for M Kelley (Mitchell is better).

Trade down to get more picks unless we can get a true stud QB or RB.

Hunker down with scouting department to evaluate talent for the draft and UDFA’s. Ban Snyder from said meetings, but offer him weekly briefings to make him feel involved.

Reason: Because I was hired as the frigging GM!

Archived