Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Deion mocks Portis concussion

SkinsNumberOne

Dion Sanders and Emmitt Smith both work as NFL announcers, as well as Michael Irving at one point. I think that says more about the death of journalism than anything else could.

I don't mind Deion, because I think he's constantly tongue-in-cheek and "gets it". But Emmitt was absolutely horrid, and Irvin is quite possibly the least mentally evolved person I've ever seen get a television gig. Nice suits, though.

In the 2005 Wild Card game against the Bucs, Portis put a punishing block on Shelton Quarles that knocked him out cold. As the staff was using smelling salts to wake Quarles up, Clinton walked over to Randy Thomas and said..."Hey Randy, you see that hit? Put him to sleep, put him to sleep"

Is that any different?

First of all, I think this is kind of the old way of thinking about concussions. Now they know that anytime you have a concussion it has the potential to be a lot more serious than when you first think - and comments like Deion makes in public further the ignorance about how serious any of these head injuries actually are.

Secondly, even if Portis was laughing and joking later, they have repeatedly said he has no memory of the play he got hit on. I don't know man, in this day and age with what we know, it's a dumb thing. I think maybe when Deion played it would be more of a joke when it doesn't seem as serious (as you say), but with what we know these days it tends to be a bigger deal.

*If you're interested in educating yourself rather than relying on your experience (as I'm sure Deion may be doing, it's a good point to say that it sounds like something someone may have said, but again this is more relevant in what we used to think about concussions) --

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/head/a/aa020103a.htm

Again, concussions aren't something to joke on. And if Deion had just said it once I would have thought it was merely insensitive and not nearly as moronic as what he chose to do.

Look man your way to serious for my comfort level of common sense. I just think your looking at the situation from a totally different angle than a typical football fan or football player would ok. If you wanna play Doctor Phil then be my guest, but leave football to those who have a sense of humor. And to be perfectly honest, I don't even view Deion's comment as making a joke. I didnt hear him laugh or look for laughter from anyone, he seemed to say it very light heartedly because Portis was fine! In no way does his comment make light of the seriousness of concussions.

But here's what I'm really trying to figure out.. If you have such strong feelings about concussions and the seriousness of them, then why are you a fan of a contact sport like football? I guess your not a fan of boxing either? Baseball is pretty serious as well with 90mph fast balls coming at your head... Are you writing your congressman about these things? Because that's what it sounds like you should be doing rather than criticizing Deon Sanders.. So before you post some googled info on concussions as if that has any relevance to Deon's statement or my view on his comment... How about you just become a fan of water polo or sumthin where concussions are less likely to occur.. You wont have to worry about analyst and their "insensitive" comments then......... Or will you? :confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVuFP3-2BqY

For those of you saying this isnt a big deal.......maybe not THAT big of deal.....but its poor taste.

Notice how Stuart Scott or anyone from ESPN.....didnt say "GOTO SLEEP, GOODNIGHT" When Javid Best was knocked out with a concussion and hauled off. Or even the Portis concussion for that matter.

You would only hear that from an idiot like Deion.....NOBODY else.

Archived