Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Clock Mismanagement

monsta

The biggest indictment of the Zorn era to me has been his inability to manage clock/game situations correctly. It reared its head AGAIN in the Atlanta game.

1 - 11 minutes left to play, Turner had just exploded for a long TD run we get the ball back down two touch downs. Do we go into the Hurry Up? Do we spread the falcons out with 4 wides and shot gun? No, we methodically move the ball down the field. We get to the falcons side of the 50 and that leads to...

2 - fourth and inches, roughly 5 minutes left at this point, we get a measurement, zorn walks collins out on the field with the next play, we line up and...TIMOUT which leads to....

3 - out of the timeout, the play we draw up on 4 and inches is a play action bootleg, tight end release from the INSIDE of the line? QB sneak is not in the playbook? No "fall forward' play?

Clock management has been one of my biggest issues with Zorn. Almost every game that we have lost this season has included atleast one wasted timeout that it turns out we REALLY could have used at the end of the game to try to tie it back up or go for the win.

Zorn has basically been stripped of all duties of a head coach and removed from the flow of the game by having to watch and listen to plays being called for him. He has been terrible in the past, He apparently does have some ability to call timeouts, but he could not managea game with full control of the play calling, no way he can with no control. Now the entire flow of play calling and who does what almost welcomes poor clock management. Clock management did not lose the game yestersday, poor play by players who appear to have given up did.

Clock management RARELY loses games, it just stops the team from winning. While lewis is calling the plays, the head coach has authority on when to go for it, when to go into hurry up and calling timeouts.

When they went for the fourth down play, the call was terrible, the decision to go was Zorn's. Likewise he has the authority to tell Lewis, lets try Hurry Up here.

The dude is a terrible game manager. How do you need a timeout AFTER a measurement and you just walked the play out to your QB?

I have been quick to bash Zorn in the past, but here I will not. He has basically been stripped of all duties of a head coach and removed from the flow of the game by having to watch and listen to plays being called for him. He has been terrible in the past, I agree, but now the entire flow of play calling and who does what almost welcomes poor clock management. Clock management did not lose the game yestersday, poor play by players who appear to have given up did.

First of all, Zorn was stripped of his play calling duties. That far from being "stripped of all duties as a head coach". There is only a few head coaches in the league that call their own plays. If anything, Zorns clock management should should have IMPROVED since he now doesnt have to worry about calling plays and can concentrate more on time management and other head coaching duties.

That timeout did suck. AFTER the measurement? WTF were you doing during the measurement? Make half a goddam effort to save your timeouts because, hey Jim, they're useful at the end of games when you're down. He's been behind so many ****ing times in his 1 1/2 seasons as head coach, you would hope he's figured that out by now. Apparently not.

The two headed monster called the offensive coordinators may have had a run play called. The line was stacked so maybe he called a timeout to change the play. The TE release play had worked all game. From what I can recall, the RT was pushed back into Sellers while he was trying to run across. The worse thing I saw was, there was a WR wide open about five yards past the LOS. Clock management didn't lose this game unless you're talking about the stopwatch the coaches were using watching Turner blow through the secondary.

The two headed monster called the offensive coordinators may have had a run play called. The line was stacked so maybe he called a timeout to change the play. The TE release play had worked all game. From what I can recall, the RT was pushed back into Sellers while he was trying to run across. The worse thing I saw was, there was a WR wide open about five yards past the LOS. Clock management didn't lose this game unless you're talking about the stopwatch the coaches were using watching Turner blow through the secondary.

That was a bad play to call on 4th and inches. You line up and fall forward. Thats it. You dont call a cute running play or a play action. as for your assertion that the tight end release was working all game, Thats true. The problem is the play that was working was a different play. It did not have the TE pulling all the way BEHIND the formation. The play that was working was a play action where the play side TE faked a block, then released, or the FB faked a block then released. The slow developing play on 3rd and 4th and inches with the primary receiver having to run all the way across the formation is terrible when you can just fall forward.

The idea that you are two scores down and are not in the hurry up is mismanagent. If we go hurry up that catches the falcons off guard AND it forces them to put in their worst DB's. Santana in the slot should, and DID beat the safety lined up opposite him.

The biggest indictment of the Zorn era to me has been his inability to manage clock/game situations correctly. It reared its head AGAIN in the Atlanta game.

1 - 11 minutes left to play, Turner had just exploded for a long TD run we get the ball back down two touch downs. Do we go into the Hurry Up? Do we spread the falcons out with 4 wides and shot gun? No, we methodically move the ball down the field. We get to the falcons side of the 50 and that leads to...

2 - fourth and inches, roughly 5 minutes left at this point, we get a measurement, zorn walks collins out on the field with the next play, we line up and...TIMOUT which leads to....

3 - out of the timeout, the play we draw up on 4 and inches is a play action bootleg, tight end release from the INSIDE of the line? QB sneak is not in the playbook? No "fall forward' play?

Will you please stop reminding us of those things which keep us up at night?

I literally stood up after #3 and screamed "WTF is going on!!!!!". You probably could have heard me from one side of the GA Dome to the other. Those fans are some kind of quiet, and they do not cuss or drink too much.

I never understand why we need a timeout before every "big" playcall.

Gibbs did this too, except it always led to the comical...let's all gather around for the big decision meeting with Gibbs, the QB, Bugel, that one old guy, that other old guy and whoever was on the headset. I'm surprised they didn't call roll first.

Does Andy Reid need to call a timeout before the Eagles blow 3rd or 4th and 1? They simply line up and fail to execute - like a professional team should.

That was a bad play to call on 4th and inches. You line up and fall forward. Thats it. You dont call a cute running play or a play action. as for your assertion that the tight end release was working all game, Thats true. The problem is the play that was working was a different play. It did not have the TE pulling all the way BEHIND the formation. The play that was working was a play action where the play side TE faked a block, then released, or the FB faked a block then released. The slow developing play on 3rd and 4th and inches with the primary receiver having to run all the way across the formation is terrible when you can just fall forward.

The idea that you are two scores down and are not in the hurry up is mismanagent. If we go hurry up that catches the falcons off guard AND it forces them to put in their worst DB's. Santana in the slot should, and DID beat the safety lined up opposite him.

I don't think Collins can fall forward. I'm not disagreeing it was the right call, IMO, I would have ran Sellers straight up the middle. Better yet, I would have put big Al in at H-back, and let Sellers run behind him as a deep back.

I never understand why we need a timeout before every "big" playcall.

Gibbs did this too' date=' except it always led to the comical...let's all gather around for the big decision meeting with Gibbs, the QB, Bugel, that one old guy, that other old guy and whoever was on the headset. I'm surprised they didn't call roll first.

Does Andy Reid need to call a timeout before the Eagles blow 3rd or 4th and 1? They simply line up and fail to execute - like a professional team should.[/quote']

Love the shot at philly!!!!

No matter how much there down they never seem to have a sense of urgency on offense. that bugs me.

it's been like this since week one LAST YEAR. I was wondering yesterday, 11 minutes left in the 4th qtr ... we're down by 2 TD's ... all the players are taking their sweet time, walking up to the line of scrimmage. No one was in a hurry, no urgency.

I figured at that point that we wold settle on taking as long as needed to try and score the TD, then just go for the onside kick and hope for the best.

I feel like it is even pointless to even worry about it now. Seems like all the offensive staff really cares about is having a good drive, and not trying to win the game. What a depressing state of affairs.

Archived