Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Top 5 most hated Dallas Cowboys of all time

grantarchy

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167294

I don't know how I came across this forum of Cowboys fans discussing the Skins woes, but I just thought it was interesting hearing stuff they had to say, like their grudging respect for Riggins and older Redskins teams, the dislike of Snyder (although some of them hope he continues running the Skins into the ground).

One post:

Ok, Riggins, the player, is still in my top 5 most hated list.....but Riggins, sports analyst, gotta give the man a high 5 and many kudos for his candid take. He is spot on.

Of course he has a vested interest. He gave his heart and soul to that organization when he played there. They were one of the elite franchises in football during his tenure with the Skins.

Little Napolean Dynamite has come along and imploded that organization from the inside out. He is nothing more than a 4ft tall, tapeworm-infested turd.

Anyways - it got me thinking - who are my top 5 most hated Cowboys? It is hard to choose, but I think the list would go something like this:

1) Deion Sanders (I still hated him when he came to the Redskins)

2) Michael Irvin

3) Tony Dorsett

4) Danny White

5) Tom Landry

1. Harvey Martin

From Wiki 1979 season-ending game

December 16, 1979: With the NFC East Division Championship on the line for both teams, Roger Staubach engineered a miraculous fourth-quarter comeback, giving the Cowboys a 35-34 win. In the week leading up to the game, Cowboys’ defensive end Harvey Martin received a funeral wreath, allegedly sent by the Redskins. He kept it in his locker all week for motivation and after the win, he raced into Washington's locker room, opened the door and heaved it into the room, breaking up a team prayer.

Kept us out of the playoffs and it all got really dark for the skins after this until Gibbs showed up

2. Michael Irvin

3.TO

4. Jerry Jones

5. "Hollywood" Henderson (before the lottery win and reformation)

Interesting list, one that makes me wonder why you would hate a player:

Deion--admittedly flamboyant, but perhaps the greatest cover corner in NFL history--not his fault Danny Boy gave him $5 mill for one season.

Irvin--Hall of Fame receiver, also flamboyant but very, very good. Off the field stuff may have contributed to this selection

Dorsett--just an excellent running back who just did his job. Hate him for what?

White--decent QB, not great. Hate him for what?

Landry--give me a break--a simple, god fearing me who was a great and quiet Coach and just did the job day in and day out. Kind of like John Wooden--quiet but very effective as a coach and a teacher. Hard to understand how anyone could hate this guy. That is, unless hate is defined as he beat the Skins fairly often. But he also helped to create that beautiful rivalry that everyone loved and is now long gone.

Interesting list, one that makes me wonder why you would hate a player:

Deion--admittedly flamboyant, but perhaps the greatest cover corner in NFL history--not his fault Danny Boy gave him $5 mill for one season.

Irvin--Hall of Fame receiver, also flamboyant but very, very good. Off the field stuff may have contributed to this selection

Dorsett--just an excellent running back who just did his job. Hate him for what?

White--decent QB, not great. Hate him for what?

Landry--give me a break--a simple, god fearing me who was a great and quiet Coach and just did the job day in and day out. Kind of like John Wooden--quiet but very effective as a coach and a teacher. Hard to understand how anyone could hate this guy. That is, unless hate is defined as he beat the Skins fairly often. But he also helped to create that beautiful rivalry that everyone loved and is now long gone.

I'm not even sure how to respond to this post. I grew up unapologetically "hating" the Cowboys. If you want me to use a word other than "hate" to satisfy the spirit of embodying a bitter rivalry I'm not sure what it would be. Is it that you disagree with the list, disagree that any player should be "hated", or what?

As for Deion, did I ever say it was his "fault" for signing? It just made me personally throw up a little bit when it happened and made me wonder how I could possibly root for him. I didn't really throw a party when we hired Norv Turner either for that matter.

1. Harvey Martin

From Wiki 1979 season-ending game

December 16, 1979: With the NFC East Division Championship on the line for both teams, Roger Staubach engineered a miraculous fourth-quarter comeback, giving the Cowboys a 35-34 win. In the week leading up to the game, Cowboys’ defensive end Harvey Martin received a funeral wreath, allegedly sent by the Redskins. He kept it in his locker all week for motivation and after the win, he raced into Washington's locker room, opened the door and heaved it into the room, breaking up a team prayer.

Kept us out of the playoffs and it all got really dark for the skins after this until Gibbs showed up

2. Michael Irvin

3.TO

4. Jerry Jones

5. "Hollywood" Henderson (before the lottery win and reformation)

Why would you hate Harvey Martin or Hollywood Henderson...you never saw those guys play...so why do you care...?

1. Jerry Jones

2. Tony Romo sits to pee

3. Emmit Smif

4. Jason Witten

5. Bill Parcells

Archived