Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If Campbell Was The Saints QB They'd Be 4-4 At Best

UltimateSkins

Actually - No

Most franchise QB's never become free agents. We could have had Brees for 10M/yr, all we would have needed was to guarantee more of the contract than the Saints, which would not have been hard for Danny....

I'm not saying that I was advocating this move at the time, but I would hope that most GM's are better talent evaluators than I am as a casual fan....assuming a team has a GM......

Agreed,

Would I prefer Brees? Yes. But he wasn't a sexy signing...so there was no way Vinny and Mr. Snyder would have done it. I'm still shocked they didn't throw a boatload at Favre.

1) Campbell is thinking way too much instead of just reacting.

2) The offensive line is not very effective (although probably not the worst in history)

3) The two problems are related to each other, meaning that a lot of the reason Campbell is thinking too much is due to the pressure he is constantly under (also probably leading to his willingness to check down)

4) The WCO is built around short passes coming out on timing, leading to Yards After Catch. I think this contributes greatly to the perception of "check downs"

5) The skins need to fix the O-line before getting a QB of the future. Case in point Matt Stafford in Detroit.

6) Fixing the O-Line involves finding new, starting caliber players at 4 positions. This will not happen in one year.

7)Jason Campbell would probably be 4-3 with the Saints because their team is built around Drew Brees. When the lynchpin of a gameplan is removed it affects the play of more than just that position. (dont believe me then look at Andre Carter since Haynesworth has come to town)

8) This whole discussion is pointless because barring 2 lucky/amazing come from behind wins, the Saints under Brees would be 5-2 now.

Actually - No

Most franchise QB's never become free agents. We could have had Brees for 10M/yr, all we would have needed was to guarantee more of the contract than the Saints, which would not have been hard for Danny....

I'm not saying that I was advocating this move at the time, but I would hope that most GM's are better talent evaluators than I am as a casual fan....assuming a team has a GM......

We've been in a position to draft or acquire about 95% of the players in this league...

We passed on Drew Brees in the draft when he came out of college.

We don't know how Campbell would operate in a different system. We know he's not good enought o be the quarterback in our WCO system, or in the previous Air Coryell system (which is alot like the WCO). But that's really all we know about Campbell. We also don't know how Brees would operate in a WCO, though my guess would be that he'd fit. He makes quick decisions, gets rid of the ball and prepares as well as any quarterback.

My position is that JC is a QB that cannot handle either real or perceived pressure. He is a just-below-average QB that can win if everything around him is functioning perfectly.

And that is not NEARLY enough for this particular team.

LOL at the people claiming our OL is the worst in history and JC is average.

Average QB's win games for their teams several times a year. JC, maybe 2x in 43 starts.

right. i just posted the eagles allowed 106 sacks in a season, our line is on pace for 45-50. we wont even finish tops in the league in 2009, there are countless lines in history that have given up a lot more sacks than our line does.

how anyone could say its the worst line with a straight face is just kidding themselves, or theyre a charter member of the JC fan club.

More and more fans in Redskins nation slowly trying to convince themselves that the oline isn't as big of a problem and that we are one QB away from being elite. I'm not buying it.

I don't think ANYONE here thinks the OL isn't a major problem. It is the biggest problem of many....of which the QB position is one. However, with this organization, upgrading the OL might take 5 years.

More and more fans in Redskins nation slowly trying to convince themselves that the oline isn't as big of a problem and that we are one QB away from being elite. I'm not buying it.

care to share with us some of these posts from people saying that? ive never once read anybody claiming with a great QB we'd be "elite".

but id like to see what youre pretending to read.

And conversely, accepting that the current starter is average to be kind in pro terms is the first step to recovery. ;)

BTW, who's claiming were a QB away from being elite again?

Hail.

Saints receivers don't get that open consistently. Most of their big plays come from Brees putting the ball right on the money even when they are blanketed. JC doesn't throw those kinds of balls.

And how often do you see Brees miss a big play to an open receiver downfield?

I would argue that Brees puts the ball up in a way that the receiver makes adjustments and plays on the ball. We are giving qb's too much credit. Receivers have to make plays on the ball

care to share with us some of these posts from people saying that? ive never once read anybody claiming with a great QB we'd be "elite".

but id like to see what youre pretending to read.

It's where it seems to be headed. More and more people playing down our OL problems the past few days, and playing up the QB argument. Especially people who think that Drew Brees telling Stephon Heyer who to block means Stephon Heyer is actually going to make the block.

And conversely, accepting that the current starter is average to be kind in pro terms is the first step to recovery. ;)

BTW, who's claiming were a QB away from being elite again?

Hail.

They haven't gotten to the elite statements yet that's why I said slowly trying to convince themselves. I'm just noticing a growing trend in posters arguing that our OL isn't that bad.

They haven't gotten to the elite statements yet that's why I said slowly trying to convince themselves. I'm just noticing a growing trend in posters arguing that our OL isn't that bad.

Well, as concerns this thread, it's no so much folk saying the lines not bad, so much as there saying it's getting more flack than it deserves. (Worst in history etc.).

Outside of the complete, blinkered boneheads, I haven't seen one poster who justifiably critiques Campbell not acknowledge that we have serious problems on both the line and with the offense as a whole, through personnel to HC/play calling.

Those making an argument for, in this instance, a Drew Brees type QB to have better success on this current team, have a valid argument down to the type of QB he is as opposed to Jason.

Would Brees be getting harried and doubtless punished playing behind this porous line? Absolutely. But by the same token, when the lines as bad as this one is, the one thing you need from your QB to help them is both being decisive in knowing exactly were your going with the ball, and getting that thing out of there fast.

Something Brees does on a consistent basis. Something Jason very rarely has through his career.

Which leads to a strong, viable argument for Collins to be in there as of now, but that's for another thread.

Hail.

It's where it seems to be headed. More and more people playing down our OL problems the past few days, and playing up the QB argument. Especially people who think that Drew Brees telling Stephon Heyer who to block means Stephon Heyer is actually going to make the block.

so youre just speculating as to what you think people are going to say in the future?

no one has downplayed the oline. however you and the fan club downplay the QB problem on a daily basis.

Hmmmm. Last year when the line actually blocked for Campbell I thought he did pretty damn well. Considering the Saints have an all around better team than we do offensively, I would say Campbell would be fine, not saying he wouldn't make mistakes here and there, hell Drew Brees did it last night as well as in Miami.

But yes, lets put it all on Campbell and be just as STUPID as the front office whom you all hate. We need to have a line that can block before we even think about drafting or getting another QB. Apparently some of you haven't learned that yet with all the QB talk.

Archived