Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP sources: Obama eyes smaller Afghan troop option

nonniey

That is highly unlikely.

We've spent $223 billion in Afghanistan in 8 years and $684 billion on Iraq in 6.5 years.

4,326 American troops have lost their lives in Iraq. 804 in Afghanistan.

Not unlikely at all,and a prime factor in O's choice.

Just wait,the numbers for both will not stay near the same as the past.

The Just:silly: war is gonna be costly as well

I thought this means they are going with the latter option... Narrowing down objectives, etc. What don't you understand?

No he is contemplating (in defense of the President this decision has not been made yet) increasing troop levels, but only by a percentage of what his military expert says he needs.

We need to figure out what our true objectives are there. You know, besides simply denying aQ and the Taliban sanctuary until the end of time.

There are literally thousands of militant groups in Afghanistan. Its not as black and white as "Taliban" or "not Taliban." Pretty much any valley we enter has a group of young militants willing to pick up guns to stave off "outsiders."

Ensuring a strong central government that is not corrupt and holds legitimacy with most Afghan people is next to impossible. Just ask this US official who undoubtedly knows Afghanistan better than anyone on this board:

That isn't correct though. The Taliban have fully bought in to Al Qaeda's goals (ie they now have the same goals) Which means the Taliban is now a franchise of Al Qaeda.
There are quite a few analysts who would disagree with this statement. It's a lot more complex than that and you're totally off base here. The Taliban is fighting us because they view us as taking their country away from them. They have publicly denounced ties with Al Qaeda and have even recently tried to negotiate a truce. I'm certainly not saying we should give them their country back, the world is better off without the Taliban, but they aren't interested in waging holy war on the US at home.

They're basically saying, "we got no beef, just let us clad our women from head to toe in black and we'll leave you alone."

I must say that I am tremendously glad that I am not in the President's shoes. He's flying to Dover AFB to view the bodies of 18 Americans who were recently killed in Afghanistan. Even though I believe the mission in Afghanistan is a vital one, I couldn't stand to know that my decisions led to the deaths of young American men and women.

one of those 18 is Sgt. Dale Griffin, VMI class of 2003. he was killed by a roadside bomb two days ago.

I thought this means they are going with the latter option... Narrowing down objectives, etc. What don't you understand?

How in the heck did you read:

"President Barack Obama is considering sending large numbers of additional U.S. forces to Afghanistan next year but fewer than his war commander, Gen. Stanley McChrystal, prefers, U.S. officials said.

and call that a pull out?

Though he doing the same Mistake Bush did in not stating what he's already done, thus allowing the Republicans to get away with being dishonest in the troop strengths.

GR2009101300098.gif

Per WIKI Iraq's total area is 169,234 square miles, while Afghanistan is 251,772 square miles. On top of that I understand that Afghanistan has a much more challenging terrain, much worse roads, and a history of a weak central government (warlords vs central dictatorship).

I agree that our main priorities should be preventing Al Qaeda from returning and extremism from taking hold. However, when figuring out how to achieve those objectives I think we have to keep in mind the situation we are dealing with, the reality of what is possible, and costs associated with different ways of moving forward.

Obviously the military wants to win the conflict.

Well, if we have decided that "winning" is too costly or impossible, we should leave the country as soon as possible. I think Obama has likely concluded that it would be too costly to "win" and would like to withdraw, but feels like that is not politically feasible. So, he's taking the middle road, which is the worst one to take IMO.

Well, if we have decided that "winning" is too costly or impossible, we should leave the country as soon as possible. I think Obama has likely concluded that it would be too costly to "win" and would like to withdraw, but feels like that is not politically feasible. So, he's taking the middle road, which is the worst one to take IMO.

By "winning" do you mean achieving our objectives, or scoring a decisive military victory on the battlefield?

How in the heck did you read:

and call that a pull out?

Though he doing the same Mistake Bush did in not stating what he's already done, thus allowing the Republicans to get away with being dishonest in the troop strengths.

GR2009101300098.gif

I was talking about a pull out of our original objectives :D

Either go all out, or pull out.

That's what she said. :)

:logo:

:hysterical: Agreed. We're getting close to done with Iraq, but we know the people that originally started this "war on terror" are right in that area of Afganistan. That has to be our international priority. They have to be destroyed.

What the article actually says: "Obama is considering all options on a very difficult decision."

What people are reading the article to say: well, whatever they want, depending on how much they like or hate Obama.

I disagree with you here Predicto numerous posts (including the OP)stated that it was understood that this was not the decision yet. They were pointing out that if this was chosen it would be the worst move he could make.

Archived