Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP sources: Obama eyes smaller Afghan troop option

nonniey

If this story is accurate and comes about this would confirm the notion that Obama is a weak President. Basically the worst decision he could make - ie not providing the required troops for fear of alienating his base or not pulling the troops out for fear of being castigated for losing in Afghanistan. I hope this is does not end up being his decision.

"President Barack Obama is considering sending large numbers of additional U.S. forces to Afghanistan next year but fewer than his war commander, Gen. Stanley McChrystal, prefers, U.S. officials said.

Such a narrowed military mission would escalate American forces to accomplish the commander's broadest goals, protecting Afghan cities and key infrastructure. But the option's scaled-down troop numbers likely would cut back on McChrystal's ambitious objectives, amounting to what one official described as "McChrystal Light."

Under the pared-down option, McChrystal would be given fewer forces than the 40,000 additional troops he has asked for atop the current U.S. force of 68,000, officials told The Associated Press...."

Click link for article

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iqyaFh_efr-brDq0rMLF1hkop0tgD9BKCEDO3

1,000,000,000 troops couldn't accomplish anything without a strategy change. The major goal of the war is to ensure Afghanistan isn't a safe-haven for terrorists in the future. This can't be accomplished by propping up an elected ruler and only ensuring his or democracy's continuation through force of arms. The Afghani people have to believe the Taliban is bad, and anti-American terrorism is bad. Any chance of this happening is probably long gone.

We've done all we can do with our current strategy, we've shown the Afghani people that if they harbor people who'll attack us, we'll invade and occupy them for ten years. That should be the "win" that we hang our hat on, and we should pull out.

I approve this choice,but it does look bad to go against your chosen expert's advice.

Going light carries it's own risks and opens them up to even more second guessing.

TJ we ain't pulling out

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/30/us/30obama.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

President Obama traveled to Dover Air Force Base early Thursday morning to meet with family members and pay his respects as the flag-draped coffins carrying bodies of 18 American troops killed this week in Afghanistan were returned to the United States.

This is excellent news.

Sorry OP. It's time to leave Afghanistan and Iraq.

2 things. most people agree on iraq, a lot of people don't agree w/ u on afghanistan. explain.

also, you say it's great news, because you want us out of afghan....did you notice it says nothing about leaving afghanistan, only sending less troops than the military wants?

If this story is accurate and comes about this would confirm the notion that Obama is a weak President. Basically the worst decision he could make - ie not providing the required troops for fear of alienating his base or not pulling the troops out for fear of being castigated for losing in Afghanistan. I hope this is does not end up being his decision.

"President Barack Obama is considering sending large numbers of additional U.S. forces to Afghanistan next year but fewer than his war commander, Gen. Stanley McChrystal, prefers, U.S. officials said.

Such a narrowed military mission would escalate American forces to accomplish the commander's broadest goals, protecting Afghan cities and key infrastructure. But the option's scaled-down troop numbers likely would cut back on McChrystal's ambitious objectives, amounting to what one official described as "McChrystal Light."

Under the pared-down option, McChrystal would be given fewer forces than the 40,000 additional troops he has asked for atop the current U.S. force of 68,000, officials told The Associated Press...."

Click link for article

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iqyaFh_efr-brDq0rMLF1hkop0tgD9BKCEDO3

Obama is just repeating the mistake Bush made in Iraq. GIve the General what he needs to execute his strategy.

I have to agree with the critics. Either pull out as soon as possible, or give the generals what they've asked for to fight the war. What is the point of going halfway? It seems that keeping troops there with no realistic chance of victory is a tragic waste of money and human life.

I must say that I am tremendously glad that I am not in the President's shoes. He's flying to Dover AFB to view the bodies of 18 Americans who were recently killed in Afghanistan. Even though I believe the mission in Afghanistan is a vital one, I couldn't stand to know that my decisions led to the deaths of young American men and women.

Obviously the economic and fiscal situation in our country is not conducive to making significant investments into Afghanistan.

I certainly do not support spending lives and treasure in Afghanistan unless there is a clear, achievable, and a worthwhile goal.

Based on what I've read, it seems, you can keep dumping resources into Afghanistan without any meaningful results.

Do not forget that our main priorities are Al Qaeda, poppy trade, tribal areas between Afghanistan and Pakistan, and stability in Pakistan. Stable Afghanistan is a bit further down on the list.

I have to agree with the critics. Either pull out as soon as possible, or give the generals what they've asked for to fight the war. What is the point of going halfway? It seems that keeping troops there with no realistic chance of victory is a tragic waste of money and human life.

What is "victory"? What are our objectives? Are we trying to turn Afghanistan into a flowering garden of peace and prosperity?

There are several important objectives that are directly related to our national security. The point of going halfway is to focus on those high-priority objectives.

(at this point, for example, what happens in Pakistan and Waziristan probably has more bearing on our national security than Afghanistan)

..except in terms of dollars, and American deaths, and the fact that we are killing the people who actually attacked us. But other than that, you're right.

The dollars and death will easily surpass Iraq unfortunately.

The people that attacked us are long gone from the area. We are just fighting a bunch of pahtans

What is "victory"? What are our objectives? Are we trying to turn Afghanistan into a flowering garden of peace and prosperity?

There are several important objectives that are directly related to our national security. The point of going halfway is to focus on those high-priority objectives.

The objective is to deny Al Qaeda a safe haven in Afghanistan. We've pretty much accomplished that objective, as almost all Al Qaeda fighters fled for Pakistan a few years ago.

The problem is that once we leave, Al Qaeda will likely move right back into Afghanistan unless we create a semi-functioning government and army. I think we have a long way to go before we create a semi-functioning government and army, which is to say it will take years for us to accomplish our objective. However, adding more troops to help clear and hold areas and train Afghan forces will likely expedite that process.

I don't know what the point of reducing our troop presence would be. It seems like we'd essentially be giving up on the war without having the cajones to admit that's what were doing and risking troops lives unnecessarily in the process.

The objective is to deny Al Qaeda a safe haven in Afghanistan. We've pretty much accomplished that objective, as almost all Al Qaeda fighters fled for Pakistan a few years ago.

The problem is that once we leave, Al Qaeda will likely move right back into Afghanistan unless we create a semi-functioning government and army. I think we have a long way to go before we create a semi-functioning government and army, which is to say it will take years for us to accomplish our objective. However, adding more troops to help clear and hold areas and train Afghan forces will likely expedite that process.

I don't know what the point of reducing our troop presence would be. It seems like we'd essentially be giving up on the war without having the cajones to admit that's what were doing and risking troops lives unnecessarily in the process.

Per WIKI Iraq's total area is 169,234 square miles, while Afghanistan is 251,772 square miles. On top of that I understand that Afghanistan has a much more challenging terrain, much worse roads, and a history of a weak central government (warlords vs central dictatorship).

I agree that our main priorities should be preventing Al Qaeda from returning and extremism from taking hold. However, when figuring out how to achieve those objectives I think we have to keep in mind the situation we are dealing with, the reality of what is possible, and costs associated with different ways of moving forward.

Obviously the military wants to win the conflict.

The dollars and death will easily surpass Iraq unfortunately.

The people that attacked us are long gone from the area. We are just fighting a bunch of pahtans

That isn't correct though. The Taliban have fully bought in to Al Qaeda's goals (ie they now have the same goals) Which means the Taliban is now a franchise of Al Qaeda.

This is what i don't really understand.

Either put overwhelming forces and get the job done

or start the pullout of Afghanistan and draw down

DO EITHER of those two to the best of your given ability. Don't do either half assed.

I thought this means they are going with the latter option... Narrowing down objectives, etc. What don't you understand?

That isn't correct though. The Taliban have fully bought in to Al Qaeda's goals (ie they now have the same goals) Which means the Taliban is now a franchise of Al Qaeda.

This is not the case based on what I've read. Where did you get this impression?

Archived