Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Eagles are Terrible

Eagles_Legendz

Eagles fans are such whiners. Reid/McNabb have given you a consistent winner over 10-11 years...you guys killed us tonight! And you still complain? What I wouldn't give to have a team like the Eagles.

I agree. We won't realize what we had until Reid/McNabb are gone. I think us Eagle fans, after the first 10 minutes of the game thought the final score should end up much higher, but with WB going down and the D playing fairly well, Reid had to know there was no need to keep scoring a ton of points. The running game is very sketchy, but I think the front seven of skins made it a tough night to run on.

1 week after losing your all pro LT for (at best) the year, you lose your pro-bowl TE, (and leading pass catcher), to a broken leg, probably for the year

THat sucks about Cooley, he's a great player. As good as a game #86 had last night, once teams prepare for him, he's going to be lucky to be 1/2 of what Cooley is for that team.

The Eagles playing with a lead are a very different team than the Eagles in a well contested game or playing from behind. When they are behind or in a game that is close points wise, then even an Oakland can destroy them.

There is simply no way to manage the game and the clock with Reid's plan. So you get to the playoffs, hopefully with a bye, and maybe win a playoff game. The more delusional Philly fans will then say things like "any given Sunday" and "just get a ticket to the dance", etc.

Either way, the Eagles are much more fun to watch offensively than the Skins. They are explosive. When tCampbell got that TD it felt like a man dying of thirst getting a drop of water.

This Eagles team is an also-ran at best. That's pretty obvious at this point. They're neither here nor there.

But I happen to believe that sustained success is the greatest barometer of talent and ability. At any level of athletics, coaches look to develop sustained success, and that's how they evaluate themselves and their peers. Meatheads and imbeciles use terms like "losers' mentality" when discussing a team developing sustained success but failing to win a championship. Over a long enough sample, teams that are able to be consistently effective will eventually win it all. Bill Cowher was on the hot seat pretty heavily two years before he won the Super Bowl.

This Eagles team is an also-ran at best. That's pretty obvious at this point. They're neither here nor there.

But I happen to believe that sustained success is the greatest barometer of talent and ability. At any level of athletics, coaches look to develop sustained success, and that's how they evaluate themselves and their peers. Meatheads and imbeciles use terms like "losers' mentality" when discussing a team developing sustained success but failing to win a championship. Over a long enough sample, teams that are able to be consistently effective will eventually win it all. Bill Cowher was on the hot seat pretty heavily two years before he won the Super Bowl.

excellent point. I would add John Elway to that list, and the Cowboys of the early 70s who were labeled, derisively, "Next years champs" due to their inability to win the big game.

excellent point. I would add John Elway to that list, and the Cowboys of the early 70s who were labeled, derisively, "Next years champs" due to their inability to win the big game.

Brett Favre won a Super Bowl early, but he has come up short every year since. For some reason, because the win came before all the losses, he's regarded as a winner. Ultimately, he's achieved sustained success over a large sample, but was lucky enough to win the big game at the beginning. The rest of his career has been a steady reversion to the mean.

It just might be time for a change in Philly. New QB, new coaching staff.

I kept thinking to myself last night that Philly lives on big plays. They look good and the ESPN's eat it up, but big plays only win so many games. Take away big plays and what are you left with? McNugget throwing into the dirt a couple of times.

Look at the Jackson TD. The MNF crew pointed out what I thought was a very interesting point. Earlier McNugget missed a wide open WR to the left for a TD and they had to settle for a FG. On the long TD, after being told to look there, he found Jackson deep. Turning this around, good defenses would not have blown the coverage once much less twice. I looked at that and thought about the defense not adjusting.

My point is balance. You have to be able to hit the big play, but you have to live on the rest of the plays. Big plays open up the offense or at least they should.

Blache understands how to defend the Eagles. His players failed him tonight on the two big plays. The safety he benched got burned deep and no one recognized the nice play call and run play by Jackson for the TD. For the rest of the time the skins D sits back and makes McNugget beat him. Blache gets smile for every ball thrown into the dirt.

For the rest of the game, Reid should have called that Jackson run play again. Scored once, why not try it again?

Sometimes coaches get stale. I like Reid and he is a good coach. Time for him to take a couple of seasons off and come back fresh.

How's that sustained success working out for Marv Levy and George Allen? Bud Grant was pretty successful too. Hey how's Dennis Green feeling about his championships these days?

Marty Schottenheimer's culture of winning has netted him one of the worst playoff records of all time.

Why are the Eagles the only team in football where 'playing conservative' means throwing the ball up 17 with the ball on their own 5 with 4 minutes left?

Because they have a coach who can't help himself. He's a pass first, pass second, pass third guy. Always will be. Even if it means trying to kill the clock.

How's that sustained success working out for Marv Levy and George Allen? Bud Grant was pretty successful too. Hey how's Dennis Green feeling about his championships these days?

Marty Schottenheimer's culture of winning has netted him one of the worst playoff records of all time.

Would you rather have Braman/Buddy Ryan back?

Buddy. The city embraced that guy like no other and he didn't bring squat except defensive attitude.

I would rather you had Kotite. Decline the penalty and punt, lol.

It wasn't an either/or question, it was both of them, because that was the opposite end of the spectrum of what they've had lately. I never understood why people loved Buddy either because he sucked as a head coach.

Kotite. Seeing Zorn on the sideline and in pressers reminds me SO much of him.

Buddy. The city embraced that guy like no other and he didn't bring squat except defensive attitude.

I would rather you had Kotite. Decline the penalty and punt, lol.

Exactly. The meatheads who love to point to Reid's failure to win a championship are the same folks who remember the Buddy Ryan years fondly.

Project false bravado while winning 10 games and you're a hero. Clear your throat instead of answering questions at press conferences while going to the NFL championship and you're a chump.

The Eagles fanbase is a dim bunch. There's no question about that.

But Andy Reid does need to do better, and it's reasonable to ask whether his failure to win it all isn't a matter of missed opportunities, but rather a symptom of a fatal flaw in his strategy.

I don't even like the guy really, and I'd never consider myself an Andy Reid supporter. But having read a few books on organization and audience building from different coaches, I can say objectively that members of the vocation grade themselves more on an ability to develop sustained success than anything else. That's always been Coach K's objective; the difference between him and Reid, however, is worth noting. It's easy to talk about a culture of winning when you have a championship card in your back pocket.

Exactly. The meatheads who love to point to Reid's failure to win a championship are the same folks who remember the Buddy Ryan years fondly.

Project false bravado while winning 10 games and you're a hero. Clear your throat instead of answering questions at press conferences while going to the NFL championship and you're a chump.

The Eagles fanbase is a dim bunch. There's no question about that.

But Andy Reid does need to do better, and it's reasonable to ask whether his failure to win it all isn't a matter of missed opportunities, but rather a symptom of a fatal flaw in his strategy.

I don't even like the guy really, and I'd never consider myself an Andy Reid supporter. But having read a few books on organization and audience building from different coaches, I can say objectively that members of the vocation grade themselves more on an ability to develop sustained success than anything else. That's always been Coach K's objective; the difference between him and Reid, however, is worth noting. It's easy to talk about a culture of winning when you have a championship card in your back pocket.

Buddy Ryan was a loser in Philadelphia too. Ive got no love for him as much as I do Reid. They both choke the proverbial chicken.

Buddy Ryan was a loser in Philadelphia too. Ive got no love for him as much as I do Reid. They both choke the proverbial chicken.

Everyone in the history of the organization has, apparently. Every player, every coach, every owner, everyone. The only constant through it all has been the fans.

Archived