Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DeCosta, Grimm, and Brennan for the Win!!

Rhodus333

I would consider it a win if we only got DeCosta. Let the guy do whatever he feels is best...at least we would finally have direction.

This. If we bring in either DeCosta or Chris Polian to take full control of our operations this offseason, I'll consider it a MAJOR step in the right direction.

Someone we could bring in as a 1- 2 year place holder is David Carr. He will be a FA after this season.

I agree... I don't want to waste a #1 pick on Colt McCoy, Sam Bradford, or Tim Tebow, only to realize 5 years down the line that it was a bust.

I say build a team that a great QB can be better on. Get an O-line, RBs, WRs, and find a great QB along the way.

Even a good QB would look bad with this offense.

Grimm has been an O-line coach with the Steelers and is the "Assistant Head Coach/Run game coordinator/Offensive Line" coach for the Cards.

Please note that he isn't a play caller of any sort. Whisenhunt calls his own plays.

I see what you're saying about calling plays but if we had a GM who then hired Russ Grimm I would hope it's not for him to call plays as well as be Head Coach.

I prefer a Head Coach like how Tom Coughlin or Tony Sporano or Mike Tomlin are head coaches, i.e., not the playcaller or primary offensive/defensive coordinator on their staffs.

I prefer a Head Coach who preaches discipline, hard work, and accountability. He should have input in the gameplans but on gameday he should manage the game and team overall and let his coordinators worry about the specific play calls.

The whole point of having a competent GM is to be able to talk about who they bring in, not who they should be bringing in.

+1

If DeCosta or anyone else chooses Grimm, so be it. But if Snyder is picking the head coach, then his hands are still all over the decision-making process at Redskins Park, and that doesn't work.

i agree with this.

No offense to the op, but it's funny to see people on one hand want a gm running the show then, on the other hand name the people they want for coach and players.

The whole point of having a competent gm is to be able to talk about who they bring in, not who they should be bringing in. We've gotten into bad habits since 1999!

[attach]42000[/attach]

I'm with on DeCosta -- he's very solid. And, at this point, I don't even feel the need to attack Cerrato to say that this should be his final season with the team. Change for change's sake. Go ahead. Hit RESET.

On the fence re: Grimm. And like Colt though I do, I'm not convinced that he's an NFL starter. The other Colt (McCoy): that's another story.

I agree with this.

No offense to the OP, but it's funny to see people on one hand want a GM running the show then, on the other hand name the people they want for coach and players.

The whole point of having a competent GM is to be able to talk about who they bring in, not who they should be bringing in. We've gotten into bad habits since 1999!

Excellent point. If we bring in just a GM (as opposed to GM/Head Coach), I won't complain about his coach of choice. I'd even take Jon Gruden (who annoys me and is overrated) if a quality GM said, "This is my guy!" The key thing is process. Whether you hand the team over to a Shanahan-type or hire a GM, let the process play itself out. Be like JKC: you have a voice, but yr primarily a tie-breaker when needed.

I agree with this.

No offense to the OP, but it's funny to see people on one hand want a GM running the show then, on the other hand name the people they want for coach and players.

The whole point of having a competent GM is to be able to talk about who they bring in, not who they should be bringing in. We've gotten into bad habits since 1999!

If we hire a coach before a new GM (which, given our track record, would be where the smart money is), it will be a lot of sound and fury signifying nothing.

People will get all jazzed up over a big offseason name, when the person who picks him is the same person who has time and time and time and time and time again picked the wrong big name. In fact, the answer might not be the big name for once! Call me crazy!

We need a football lifer with as close to total control as we can get, and he will run the interviews, he will decide who the next coach is, and with that coach, decide whether to draft a new QB, sign a FA QB, or see what we have in Colt.

I mean really, fawning after Shanny MIDSEASON!?! is going to solve our leadership problems? Eff no.

Just because they pick the guy you want, doesn't mean that its the right guy.

especially if "they" is Snyder

I really hate to break it to you, but for the type of offense that AZ runs (thus what Grimm would be bringing), Colt does not have the arm strength to run even half the playbook.

However, I will say that a DeCosta + Grimm franchise is something I've been thinking about for weeks and I would instantly jizz in my pants if that happened.

Brennan's arm is as strong as Warner's, he would have no problem running that offence.

3 guys who are hungry to move up to the next level and prove themselves. That's my (unrealistic) hope for next year. Spend the whole freaking draft on lineman, with a running back or linebacker thrown in for good measure. Make a clean break from the current franchise and start building off these three guys who have gotten it done one level down from the jobs they would get here in washington (Ravens, Arizona, Hawaii). If Brennan doesn't pan out, address the QB in the next year's draft or sign a veteran WCO QB to keep us competitive.

DeCosta is known for his quality drafting, something weve been struggling with. Grimm has hometown ties and will surely put the emphasis back on establishing a strong line, another weakness. Brennan college career was known for its accuracy and his ability to pump up his teammates and lay it all on the line on gameday, another two areas weve struggled with this season. Id love to see these three in action, making the redskins FUN and EXCITING to watch again!!

Sounds like a plan! There is only one problem. It is far too brilliant to happen with Daniel Snyder at the wheel.

HTTR

A guy I know says De Costa is the next Scott Pioli. I sy we jumped on him innediately. Certainly doesn't hurt he's been learning under Ozzie Newsome. I don't know about Brennan and while I think they're are better choices than Grimm given his history with this team, it might be worth it. I still dream of Cowher but that's all it is, A DREAM!

Colt should start after the break with Todd as his backup. Then we could field a true WCO. This would also take advantage of our big WR,s from last years draft. WE may be the only NFL team the nevers likes to play their recent draft picks. As most of you know I can't stand JC and if he is not pulled as QB then this WCO is doomed from the start. Again, lets get some balls and see what we have. If we have to go down in big games let go down 42-35, not 9-3..... I don't think this team is that bad, we just need to bench some bad players.

I see what you're saying about calling plays but if we had a GM who then hired Russ Grimm I would hope it's not for him to call plays as well as be Head Coach.

I prefer a Head Coach like how Tom Coughlin or Tony Sporano or Mike Tomlin are head coaches, i.e., not the playcaller or primary offensive/defensive coordinator on their staffs.

I prefer a Head Coach who preaches discipline, hard work, and accountability. He should have input in the gameplans but on gameday he should manage the game and team overall and let his coordinators worry about the specific play calls.

If we are going to do this, we should do it right.

Hire a GM like DeCosta or someone from a successful teams FO that can infect our team with what makes them win.

By all accounts it appears that Shanahan will be the next HC, starting in 2010.

Hire his former OC Rick Dennison, who is the current Broncos O-line coach, and make him the assistant HC/OC

Get Jeremy Bates, who was the Broncos WR/QB coach and is now the quarterbacks coach and assistant head coach for offense for USC, and hire him as the assistant head coach for offense/QB coach. This guy is only 33 years old, so he is the perfect age for Shanny and Dennison to groom as the HC in waiting once they retire.

Get DeCosta and let him pick everyone else, to be honest.

Not that I don't want Grimm, but I want DeCosta making the choices for football, NOBODY else.

Agreed. Telling the GM who to pick is EXACTLY like Snyder telling the GM who to pick. If you do this, you are supporting mediocrity.

Colt should start after the break with Todd as his backup. Then we could field a true WCO. This would also take advantage of our big WR,s from last years draft. WE may be the only NFL team the nevers likes to play their recent draft picks. As most of you know I can't stand JC and if he is not pulled as QB then this WCO is doomed from the start. Again, lets get some balls and see what we have. If we have to go down in big games let go down 42-35, not 9-3..... I don't think this team is that bad, we just need to bench some bad players.

Unfortunately Colt is on IR and could very well be trade bait for a pick. Now would be the perfect time to see if he has it or not. Needless to say, JZ had to leave him in with a 3rd and 4th string that couldn't beat out the current cast of bum's. The one guy that could possibly save Zorn's bacon and he's out because of JZ's stupidity. Go figure!:handicap:

Archived