Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DeCosta, Grimm, and Brennan for the Win!!

Rhodus333

3 guys who are hungry to move up to the next level and prove themselves. That's my (unrealistic) hope for next year. Spend the whole freaking draft on lineman, with a running back or linebacker thrown in for good measure. Make a clean break from the current franchise and start building off these three guys who have gotten it done one level down from the jobs they would get here in washington (Ravens, Arizona, Hawaii). If Brennan doesn't pan out, address the QB in the next year's draft or sign a veteran WCO QB to keep us competitive.

DeCosta is known for his quality drafting, something weve been struggling with. Grimm has hometown ties and will surely put the emphasis back on establishing a strong line, another weakness. Brennan college career was known for its accuracy and his ability to pump up his teammates and lay it all on the line on gameday, another two areas weve struggled with this season. Id love to see these three in action, making the redskins FUN and EXCITING to watch again!!

3 guys who are hungry to move up to the next level and prove themselves. That's my (unrealistic) hope for next year. Spend the whole freaking draft on lineman, with a running back or linebacker thrown in for good measure. Make a clean break from the current franchise and start building off these three guys who have gotten it done one level down from the jobs they would get here in washington (Ravens, Arizona, Hawaii). If Brennan doesn't pan out, address the QB in the next year's draft or sign a veteran WCO QB to keep us competitive.

I would love to give Russ Grimm a try. He could be just what we need. Though I doubt that will happen.

I would consider it a win if we only got DeCosta. Let the guy do whatever he feels is best...at least we would finally have direction.

I would consider it a win if we only got DeCosta. Let the guy do whatever he feels is best...at least we would finally have direction.

I agree with this.

No offense to the OP, but it's funny to see people on one hand want a GM running the show then, on the other hand name the people they want for coach and players.

The whole point of having a competent GM is to be able to talk about who they bring in, not who they should be bringing in. We've gotten into bad habits since 1999!

Grimm has hometown ties and will surely put the emphasis back on establishing a strong line, another weakness.

Yes! Yes! I keep posting this and I was thinking I was the only one who liked Grimm.

And yes, it is correct that a GM needs to be hired first, but I think the new GM's hire should be Grimm.

I agree with this.

No offense to the OP, but it's funny to see people on one hand want a GM running the show then, on the other hand name the people they want for coach and players.

The whole point of having a competent GM is to be able to talk about who they bring in, not who they should be bringing in. We've gotten into bad habits since 1999!

If we got just DeCosta i'd be thrilled too. Obviously if he thought there were better people for the job I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, but I just think this lineup would be fun to watch.

But yeah, GM first. Most definitley agree with that.

If we got just DeCosta i'd be thrilled too. Obviously if he thought there were better people for the job I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, but I just think this lineup would be fun to watch.

But yeah, GM first. Most definitley agree with that.

Sounds good to me...I'd be pretty pumped if someone like DeCosta decided on those two guys too.

Grimm's presence would just indicate the same laziness and lack of creativity on Dan Snyder's part. Rather than looking deeply into the organizations of other, more successful franchises, or simply trusting his GM, he reached back in to his bag of nostalgia in attempt to create offseason buzz by hiring a name well-known to Redskin fans.

Not that Grimm can't be a successful head coach some day, but I think if he were hired it would be more for his past than what he could accomplish here.

As with every other "hire russ" post, do you really think he wants to come back here after getting fired from being the TE coach? If he wants to bounce from the cardinals he can have the pick of the litter (san diego) next year and not have to deal with the FO crud here. The word is out, WASH, DALLAS, and OAKLAND are the places that no one goes to unless they are desperate.

As with every other "hire russ" post, do you really think he wants to come back here after getting fired from being the TE coach? If he wants to bounce from the cardinals he can have the pick of the litter (san diego) next year and not have to deal with the FO crud here. The word is out, WASH, DALLAS, and OAKLAND are the places that no one goes to unless they are desperate.

Grimm asked to be let out of his contract when Marty came, as did some other coaches that season.

Grimm's presence would just indicate the same laziness and lack of creativity on Dan Snyder's part. Rather than looking deeply into the organizations of other, more successful franchises, or simply trusting his GM, he reached back in to his bag of nostalgia in attempt to create offseason buzz by hiring a name well-known to Redskin fans.

Not that Grimm can't be a successful head coach some day, but I think if he were hired it would be more for his past than what he could accomplish here.

Normally I'd agree with you. But I do think that Grimm has proven himself as an effective coordinator in Arizona. And I think that his experience on the line gives him a unique opportunity to help this team with its biggest weakness. And If he was put here with someone like DeCosta providing him with young talent, rather than Cerrato, I think he truly could be the right man for the job.

Remember Grimm isn't some washed up coach that the game has passed by who just happens to have redskins ties. His team WAS in the superbowl last year.

I think that's true right now, but I think that mindset would change if you tell candidates that Cerrato is gone and DeCosta is in

I think that's true right now, but I think that mindset would change if you tell candidates that Cerrato is gone and DeCosta is in

Danny didn't like it very much when he handed the team over to marty and to gibbs as well. The first thing he did each time was put vinny back in place after they were gone. I just don't see him changing this. I would think he has better business sense. After all he did build up synder communications (but has ruined johnny rockets and 6 flags), but for some reason the guy is blind right now as to what is wrong. And what makes everyone think DeCosta will come here even if Vinny if let go? They would have to belive that Snyder will back off and let them run the team and he hasn't shown that at all up to this point. Danny just doens't want to take the JKC approach of HRING someone to run the team and sitting back and enjoying it. He wants to make the picks, he want to make the trades, he wants to wooo the players. I think the waiting 20 seconds on draft day before selecting Orakpo has synder(s) signature all over. There was no sitting back to see if anyone wanted to do a last second trade up so they could rebuild a deplete line. It was a "I want my toy and I want it now" type decison.

Colt was putrid in the preseason.

Right now, my vote is for ka-boom. Blow up the team, front office, and roster. Brennan might serve as a place holder since that kind of demolition is bound to lead to a miserable season, but I wouldn't plan on him being the guy.

Don't know enough about DeCosta. I like the idea of a tough guy like Grimm. (See other thread for why)

I really hate to break it to you, but for the type of offense that AZ runs (thus what Grimm would be bringing), Colt does not have the arm strength to run even half the playbook.

However, I will say that a DeCosta + Grimm franchise is something I've been thinking about for weeks and I would instantly jizz in my pants if that happened.

DeCosta is known for his quality drafting, something weve been struggling with. Grimm has hometown ties and will surely put the emphasis back on establishing a strong line, another weakness. Brennan college career was known for its accuracy and his ability to pump up his teammates and lay it all on the line on gameday, another two areas weve struggled with this season. Id love to see these three in action, making the redskins FUN and EXCITING to watch again!!

I'm glad you're not in charge. DeCosta might be the best of the 3.

Grimm has never been an OC or DC. Didn't we just make this mistake with Zorn? :stop:

Brennan has been in Zorn's doghouse since the beginning of camp. If he spent half as much time studying the playbook and working on mechanics as he does worshiping Cooley, he may have had a chance to be the #2 QB this year.

I'm glad you're not in charge. DeCosta might be the best of the 3.

Grimm has never been an OC or DC. Didn't we just make this mistake with Zorn? :bonk:

Brennan has been in Zorn's doghouse since the beginning of camp. If he spent half as much time studying the playbook and working on mechanics as he does worshiping Cooley, he may have had a chance to be the #2 QB this year.

Difference is, Zorn was never an Assistant Head Coach like Grimm is.

Remember, Zorn was a QB coach under Holmgren like Andy Reid was but Reid was also the Assistant Head Coach on the team. Should make for a difference, I guess?

Difference is, Zorn was never an Assistant Head Coach like Grimm is.

Remember, Zorn was a QB coach under Holmgren like Andy Reid was but Reid was also the Assistant Head Coach on the team. Should make for a difference, I guess?

Grimm has been an O-line coach with the Steelers and is the "Assistant Head Coach/Run game coordinator/Offensive Line" coach for the Cards.

Please note that he isn't a play caller of any sort. Whisenhunt calls his own plays.

Grimm has been an O-line coach with the Steelers and is the "Assistant Head Coach/Run game coordinator/Offensive Line" coach for the Cards.

Please note that he isn't a play caller of any sort. Whisenhunt calls his own plays.

I mean you make a point, don't get me wrong. I just feel like Grimm is far better prepared than Zorn was, but it is what it is.

Archived