Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who was the best QB in Washington after the Rypien Era???

SKINFAN23

Brad Johnson

Trent Green

Mark Brunell

Gus Frerotte

Jason Campbell

Rich Gannon

Sage Rosenfels

Not many were very good for us, but all of them (exception of JC for now) had long careers in the NFL. Only Johnson, Green, and Brunell were good enough in their careers to have teams built around them.

Not sure Trent Green should really count since he didn't actually play, PLAY here. And it's pretty amazing that Mr. Frerotte is still in the league. That's gotta say something.

I'd go:

Johnson

Frerotte

Brunell (3rd because he was so damn frustrating to watch.)

IIRC, Trent Green started 15 games for us. He would have been resigned but the team was being sold and Casserly wasn't allowed to sign any new contracts. Trading for Brad Johnson was his way of rectifying that situation.

IIRC, Trent Green started 15 games for us. He would have been resigned but the team was being sold and Casserly wasn't allowed to sign any new contracts. Trading for Brad Johnson was his way of rectifying that situation.

Ah. I was like 12 at the time. Before many long nights. I just remembered he was here for a short time. Redskins knowledge failure on my part. I'm embarrassed.

EDIT: Lol. Now that I'm thinking about it, I do remember it. It was a big deal a the time. Redskins underbid him or something.

Ah. I was like 12 at the time. Before many long nights. I just remembered he was here for a short time. Redskins knowledge failure on my part. I'm embarrassed.

EDIT: Lol. Now that I'm thinking about it, I do remember it. It was a big deal a the time. Redskins underbid him or something.

The impending sale of the franchise had prevented Charley Casserly from re-signing quarterback Trent Green in January 1999, but the Redskins' general manager not only saved that situation by trading for Brad Johnson, he snookered the Saints on draft day.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/weblogs/redskins/2009/apr/20/fleecing-mike-ditka/

Green had a great year on a terrible team that season. 23TDs and 11ints with 3,441 yards all while being sacked 49 times. Mike Martz was the QB coach for us and he was the reason the Rams went after him so hard.

It wasn't that he wasn't able to sign contracts, Charlie C just didn't think he was worth the 4 million a year he was looking for .

Charlie C also traded a 1st, 2nd and 3rd for an injury prone 27 year old QB with confidience issues ...

Still Jonson was in 1999 one of the best we had . It was Martys choice not to resign him in 2001 insted wanting to go with George and eventually Tony Banks ...

My list .

Brunell

Johnson

Green

Campbell

Ferrotte

It wasn't that he wasn't able to sign contracts, Charlie C just didn't think he was worth the 4 million a year he was looking for .

Charlie C also traded a 1st, 2nd and 3rd for an injury prone 27 year old QB with confidience issues ...

Still Jonson was in 1999 one of the best we had . It was Martys choice not to resign him in 2001 insted wanting to go with George and eventually Tony Banks ...

Yeah, my memory may be off on that. I've seen it written both ways.

The impending sale of the franchise had prevented Charley Casserly from re-signing quarterback Trent Green in January 1999, but the Redskins' general manager not only saved that situation by trading for Brad Johnson, he snookered the Saints on draft day.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/weblogs/redskins/2009/apr/20/fleecing-mike-ditka/

Green has also said that our ownership questions played a roll in him not signing with us. He was made an offer of 4 years, $12M I think. I'm just not sure when the offer was made.

Brunell? Jeebus! Are you kidding me?

Trent Green at least had a very nice statistical year and showed he had something when he went to KC (he was actually smoking things in preseason until dirtbag Harrison ended his season and Warner stepped in.)

Brad Johnson had a great 99, though he slowed at the end.

Brunell's 05 was nothing like the years either Green or Brad Johnson had, whatever it may be statistically. He simply wasn't as good as either of them and even in 05 his actual number of 'good' games was quite low. He was one of the big reasons the team went on a losing streak and then had to ride Portis and the D to the playoffs. Nevermind his awful showings in the playoffs.

No, Brad, then Trent. Maybe even Gus, just because that team wasn't that good when he was here and he's gone on to be at least a competent spot starter.

Brunell? Jeebus! Are you kidding me?

We were asked to put together a list of 5. I think it says more about the competition that Brunell makes that list than about his play. Statistically he had a decent year in '05 (23/10, 3050 yards, 57%). Almost completely par with Trent Green in '98 (23/11, 3441 yards, 54%)

We were asked to put together a list of 5. I think it says more about the competition that Brunell makes that list than about his play. Statistically he had a decent year in '05 (23/10, 3050 yards, 57%). Almost completely par with Trent Green in '98 (23/11, 3441 yards, 54%)

I don't mind that he's on a list of 5. I mind that anyone would rank him above the superior pocket passer on inferior team, Green, or the guy who actually played well as a passer and led a top flight offense to a division championship (Johnson.)

Unless, of course, these lists are just the 5 in no order. Considering just how horrid Brunell was in 2004, I'm almost willing to cancel out his 2005 performance and his 2006 was terrible but just not as historically bad as 2004.

But again, he can be on the top 5 since we've sadly only got about season-long memories in this list. :(

No one's mentioned Weurffel?

I kid, I kid. But seriously, what about John Friesz?

Okay, maybe not so seriously.

Jeff Hostetler anyone? How bout Rich Gannon?

I'm going to shut up now. I'm getting depressed.

I mentioned Gannon simply because of what he went on to do. Friesz popped into my mind. Hostetler did not.

The saddest thing is that of the guys at the top of the list none had more than one good season with us.

Brad Johnson was great in 1st half of 1999. By 2nd half of season his arm was dead, and he was ineffective.

Sad to say, but best QB we've had since Rypien is probably Mark Brunell in 2005 regular season.

Jason Campbell is battling Heath Shuler for honor of worst we've had.

Brunell's NFL Worst 5 or 6 passing yardage game run in the last 50-60 years in 2004 is why I didn't list him. IMO he never should have played again.

The fact that he did play pretty well for a handful of games in 05 doesn't matter. Ramsey should have started those and we'd likely have gone even further that year.

Green on potential

Johnson

Frerotte

Ramsey on potential

Brunell/Banks

Archived