Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

28th straight game allowing 28 or less points (longest current streak in NFL)

skinsfan07

While that is a nice statistic, our points allowed is a highly inflated stat because our offense is no inept at putting points up on the board. (more describing last season then this one)

This is true.

It doesn't mean we don't have a dern good D.

The D good be MUCH better...We need ONE shutdown Corner...

Defense wins championships.

No, it doesn't. BALANCE wins championships, and most good teams are led by thier offense first, followed by a defense which can hold its own. The 2001 Ravens were an exception, not the rule. The current Redskins have had a top 5 defense for most of the past 5 season, and can't even get to .500 over that span!

Our defense is frustrating to watch sometimes but at the end of the day, they don't give up alot of points. If our offense was even just slightly below average we would probably be 4-2 right now but our offense is actually probably the worst in the NFL right now.

Our defense has only given up 96 points this year, take out the JC gift to Osi and I am sure some other short fields (like Tampa) and only the Falcons have given up less in the NFC. I know the schedule has been soft, but they still did what they were supposed to do, which you can't say for the offense.

With the infusion of youth at D, I dont see why these guys shouldn't be together for a good 5-6 more years. We got Big Al, Jarmon, Rakpo, Horton, Landry, Rogers, Hall, Rocky, Golston, all young guys that contribute. If we make changes to our O, that ya know actually improve our team, we could be great. Our D has been the best part of watching the Skins for the past 5 years.

Yeah, but you have to re-sign all that. Rogers, McIntosh, Golston and Montgomery (if we want him back) are all in contract years. Horton will be in a contract year next year.

Haynesworth will be 30 next year, he'll probably only be explosive for about 2-3 years after that, then will be like Griffin, a big name who is always hurt and underperforms.

We've committed a lot to this defense, but with the investments we need to make on offense, something will have to give on that defense.

No, it doesn't. BALANCE wins championships, and most good teams are led by thier offense first, followed by a defense which can hold its own. The 2001 Ravens were an exception, not the rule. The current Redskins have had a top 5 defense for most of the past 5 season, and can't even get to .500 over that span!

you left out where I said this offense is killing us. defense can only do so much. the 2000 ravens offense was a lot better than ours. you a right about balance wins championships but I disagree about offense leads the team. Colts for years were led by offense and didn't win until the defense stepped up. Giants were led by defense when they beat NE. NE was led by a high octane offense and an adequate defense. So to me defense wins championships. But balance is the best way to better your chances.

I wouldnt be so sure. The Redskins played the same Saints offense last year and allowed 24 points.

This D allowed a 99-yard drive to the LIONS. Last year & this year are apples and oranges. And don't forget that Shawn Springs isn't here anymore, and the two starting CB's are stone hands & MeAngelo Hall, who can't cover. Not to mention that Blache doesn't blitz. Colston, Henderson, Moore, & Meachem will have a field day against this defense.

This D allowed a 99-yard drive to the LIONS. Last year & this year are apples and oranges. And don't forget that Shawn Springs isn't here anymore, and the two starting CB's are stone hands & MeAngelo Hall, who can't cover. Not to mention that Blache doesn't blitz. Colston, Henderson, Moore, & Meachem will have a field day against this defense.

Dude, even great defenses give up scoring drives (not to mention it would have been limited to a field goal if Zorn accepted that penalty). Last year the ravens gave up 27 points to the browns.

Point is, the offense sucks. There is nothing else the D can do besides return turnovers for touchdowns 3 times a game. Last year the Bills averaged 21 points a game which was good enough for 23rd in the league. If the Skins could even put up this (almost) bottom quartile stat, they would be 5-1 right now.

Great positive thread.

We just have to wait another year to at least be competitive, and probably two years (with luck) until we can fight for the division.

Only two years to renovate the whole offensive line, find a game breaking RB, and an above average QB? Thats some wishful thinking.

Any D can get ripped by a good offense. Somedays its just how it goes. Giants vs Saints. Giants D was number 1 and got shredded. Favre lit up Ravens D like a Rockefeller Christmas Tree.

A Defense can especially get beat down if its offense doesn't get its act together during the game. Offense should get the team a lead and Defense protects the lead (of course the offense can add to it as well). Our offense decides to come to life in the two minute warning of the 2nd and 4th quarter when our D is tired. That will kill a team every time.

So you don't think it's a good thing that our defense doesn't give up points? Points win you games, so keeping the other team from scoring is a good thing.

Uhm, I realize that our defense is good. But this is just a dumb stat. If a teams defense gave up 3, 7, 10, 3 , 6, 0, 31, 3, 0 and 17 in 10 consecutive games, and then another defense gave up 27, 23, 21, 27, 24, 24, 17, 20, 14 and 27 in 10 consecutive games... than the latter is better because they didnt give up 28 points in 10 straight games? Really? No.. because this is a dumb stat.

If you want to measure our defense in points, than do it with PPG.

If you look at the last 38 games, the points per game allowed by these defenses are:

Washington - 18.4

New England - 17.7

Indianapolis - 17.1

Pittsburgh - 15.8

To me, this is a much better stat if you want to look at how good our defense is.

You do not give up as many point if you do not score. Say you are down 17 to 3 the other team is likely in pure run mode to run out the clock. This is different than is the score is 21 to 17 whether you are up or down. Nor are we ever in the "barn burner" type game because we can't score enough.

Not saying our defense is not good (there are 37-7 games out there) just saying that if you do not score points the other team is like not that motivated to score big as they are likely not taking chances.

Archived