Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Skins shopping Anthony Montgomery

E44

So we're trading a 25 year old defensive tackle...... But don't worry guys because we just re-activated a 35 year old defensive end! This makes a lot of sense! Oh, and don't think we'll trade Mont for draft picks. We'll probably package Mont with a first round draft pick and trade for Kerry Collins.

We have Lorenzo Alexander backing up and Golston is also technically depth, since Griffin is the normal starter. Montgomery is third string. Maybe fourth with other guys plugging in at the spot.

How about us keeping some young players? Some depth. Some guys that actually fit in our system? You actually expect AH to last every down, every game anyways?

No one expects AH to play every down. Thats why we have four versatile DL that play both DE and DT in Renaldo Wynn, Phillip Daniels, Jeremy Jarmon, and Lorenzo Alexander that actually dress for games. Now I'd take Monty over any of these guys but the fact is he doesn't have the heart to put enough effort in to get activated in a contract year. If he can't do it when hes playing for a contract what makes anyone think hes going to try after getting extended?

What makes anyone think he'd even consider resigning here when at best he would be #3 on the depth chart if Griffin is moved/retires. We have two DT's infront of him that are just as if not more talented in Albert Haynesworth and Cornelius Griffin and two more that simply outwork him in Lorenzo Alexander and Kedric Golston. That isn't even counting Daniels, Wynn, and Jarmon. If Monty was active for games and contributing I would be against this move but he isn't doing anything for us in street clothes at the game and I don't see anyway he would resign with us in 2010. So as I said earlier lets get some value while we still can if we aren't going to be using him.

Dear cranky football fan, I have had it with folks who make derogatory personal attacks directed towards yours truly instead of going after the Idea! Really sick of it. Don't call me "man" and I won't call you anything else.

I know this is the internet and you don't have to look me in the eye, but you should act like you do. Would you talk to your dad this way? Well I am someone's dad so have a little respect.

Now with that out of the way, try and have yourself a nice day.

As for being chosen in the fifth round, that has no relevance to the debate. He could have been a free agent for all it matters. It's mostly the position. D-linemen, one's that are any good, are worth their weight in gold.

Respectfully, There is zero, zilch, nada chance of anyone giving up a 3rd round pick for him. You are really really overestimating his worth in the market.

Dear cranky football fan, I have had it with folks who make derogatory personal attacks directed towards yours truly instead of going after the Idea!

You're right about that...I overreacted to your post and I apologize. People in this thread making Montgomery out to be a young Reggie White got to me and I took it out on you.

As for your idea, if we somehow got a third for Monty, I'd consider this football season a success based on that trade alone.

No one expects AH to play every down. Thats why we have four versatile DL that play both DE and DT in Renaldo Wynn, Phillip Daniels, Jeremy Jarmon, and Lorenzo Alexander that actually dress for games. Now I'd take Monty over any of these guys but the fact is he doesn't have the heart to put enough effort in to get activated in a contract year. If he can't do it when hes playing for a contract what makes anyone think hes going to try after getting extended?

What makes anyone think he'd even consider resigning here when at best he would be #3 on the depth chart if Griffin is moved/retires. We have two DT's infront of him that are just as if not more talented in Albert Haynesworth and Cornelius Griffin and two more that simply outwork him in Lorenzo Alexander and Kedric Golston. That isn't even counting Daniels, Wynn, and Jarmon. If Monty was active for games and contributing I would be against this move but he isn't doing anything for us in street clothes at the game and I don't see anyway he would resign with us in 2010. So as I said earlier lets get some value while we still can if we aren't going to be using him.

He's #2 behind AH now (if he was healthy). Neither Golston or Alexander have been able to unseat Monty when healthy.

Griffin is 32. Even if his good play isn't a direct result of AH being in there, you can't count on Griffin in the future.

Same with Daniels. He is 36, playing hurt now.

And any of our DEs would get trucked playing DT, except MAYBE Daniels.

The key is Monty's knee injury. He's relatively young (25), so the question is can he recover and play like he used to?

If Monty can come back from the knee injury, then we are IDIOTS for throwing away young inexpensive home grown starting talent (Griffin aint lasting much longer).

Idiots, like usual. Then we wonder why we have little youth and no depth. :doh:

He's #2 behind AH now (if he was healthy). Neither Golston or Alexander have been able to unseat Monty when healthy.

Griffin is 32. Even if his good play isn't a direct result of AH being in there, you can't count on Griffin in the future.

Same with Daniels. He is 36, playing hurt now.

And any of our DEs would get trucked playing DT, except MAYBE Daniels.

The key is Monty's knee injury. He's relatively young (25), so the question is can he recover and play like he used to?

If Monty can come back from the knee injury, then we are IDIOTS for throwing away young inexpensive home grown starting talent (Griffin aint lasting much longer).

Idiots, like usual. Then we wonder why we have little youth and no depth. :doh:

Number 2? Then why the hell hasn't he been active? Haynesworth has gone out of games numerous times. How many times has Montgomery come in to replace him?

stop, just stop.

Listen, I'm all for crucifying the front office. but let's keep this in perspective. Montgomery should never have been starting. That's the real story here.

Zoon, in 2007 Montgomery actually showed signs of improvement. He beat out Golston (who had beaten him out before) for the position next to Griffin at DT. Yes I'll admit that we probably started him out of necessity, but the fact is that in 2007, he was a serviceable starter as a 2nd year, 5th round pick. If anything, the coaching staff probably wanted to see how he'd respond to a starting job. All I'm saying that he had the tools, and if he actually had the desire to prove himself and reach his potential, maybe our DT problem is solved by 2008.

As it shows, he didn't improve from there and he regressed. Thus, why guys like Alexander, Golston, and even Jarmon are lining up at DT before him.

You're right about that...I overreacted to your post and I apologize. People in this thread making Montgomery out to be a young Reggie White got to me and I took it out on you.

As for your idea, if we somehow got a third for Monty, I'd consider this football season a success based on that trade alone.

No prob! I was a little crank myself yesterday (going around on ES lately.)

People who can apologize have a lot of character, thanks.

Originally Posted by skeenzfan

Respectfully, There is zero, zilch, nada chance of anyone giving up a 3rd round pick for him. You are really really overestimating his worth in the market.

It isn't my opinion that he is worth a third. Some team in a jam will pay that, though. Young players are more trade material.

Also, the fact that he plays DT and that he has a high ceiling, plays into this as well.

Furthermore, The skins will hold onto him unless he gets them a good pick.

As for what teams will pay... Trung Candidate! Ouch!

In retrospect, was Herschel Walker worth half the Vikings team?

No one knows the darkness that lurks in the minds of the men behind the curtain!

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia...

The Herschel Walker Trade, also known as "The Trade"

Dallas Cowboys Received

* LB Jesse Solomon

* LB David Howard

* CB Issiac Holt

* RB Darrin Nelson (traded to San Diego after he refused to report to Dallas)

* DE Alex Stewart

* Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1990 (21) (traded this pick along with pick (81) for pick (17) from Pittsburgh to draft Emmitt Smith)

* Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1990 (47) (Alexander Wright)

* Minnesota's 6th round pick in 1990 (158) (traded to New Orleans, who drafted James Williams)

* Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (12) (Alvin Harper)

* Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (38) (Dixon Edwards)

* Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (37) (Darren Woodson)

* Minnesota's 3rd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (71) (traded to New England, who drafted Kevin Turner)

* Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1993 (conditional) - (13) (traded to Philadelphia Eagles, and then to the Houston Oilers, who drafted Brad Hopkins)

Honestly, I don't think we'll be able to get any pick, even a 7th, for Montgomery at this point. He was a RFA this past offseason tendered with a 5th round pick and nobody was interested. Since then he's had a fairly poor training camp (I thought he was significantly outplayed by Dixon) and hasn't been able to be active for a single game all year.

We found out this summer he wasn't worth a 5th rounder and since then his stock has only fallen further. The only chance we really have of unloading him is to find a team with a rash of injuries at DT. Maybe Chicago with Harris, Adams, and Idonije all not practicing, but I still don't think they'd be interested.

of the guys we have to shop I would not have guessed him...not because he's great but because who is gonna give us anything for a guy who has barely started...and is securely seated behind the current backup (Golston)....Shop somebody that we'll get something for....hell no one is untouchable at this point.

Archived