Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you think the Skins regret making the Portis/Bailey trade

21MadFan

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Does either team have any sort of championship after the trade?

This^^^

At this point the trade looks like a push for both sides,...although the Redskins gave up more (picks). Shocker.

Personally, I wasn't for the trade. I liked Champ, still do. When healthy he's still one of the elite corners in the league.

This thread comes up about once a year. I don't regret this trade for one second. We got a great RB who has carried us to the playoffs. Like someone said earlier in here, we replaced Champ right away with Shawn Springs. The Broncos still haven't really replace Portis. I think it was a pretty fair trade.

It's funny that people STILL think if this trade didn't happen Bailey would still be with us. Champ was out the door whether we traded him or not. The trade was basically a second rounder for Portis and the opportunity to get Bailey without competing for him in free agency.

Yes, it was a horrible trade. Whether the team regrets it? I don't know. But I certainly do.

Sure, Portis had done well for us. But Portis was worth only a 2nd rounder himself. That was his market value. If we wanted to trade Bailey for Portis, then the trade should have been Bailey for Portis and a 1st or 2nd rounder. Bailey--a top CB--is worth TONS more than a RB. Denver should have thrown in a 1st or 2nd. That we gave up Baily and a 2nd rounder for Portis is one of the biggest rapings you'll see in a trade.

And to those who swear Champ wanted out, that is nothing more than ES-generated gospel created to justify the move and repeated so often that people swear it was the undeniable, irrefutable truth. Champ wanted more, there is no doubt about that. And sure he was threatening to leave. But those were negotiating tactics. It is not a certainty that we could not have made him happy and kept him. So don't listen to those who swear there is no way we could of kept him and refer to some unsubstantiated rumors about women.

Champ was out the door whether we traded him or not..

You realize there is absolutely no basis for this claim other than unsubstantiated ES-generated dogma?

It's constantly amazing to me how made up stuff gets repeated so much here, and like a game of "Telephone", it gets embellished a little more. "Bailey was unhappy with contract" gets changed into "No way Champ ever would have stayed."

It's all nonsense.

We had to throw in a 2nd rounder because they had more leverage than we did. Roland did not want to be a Redskin. I dont regret this trade at all. Portis has been the face of the franchise since he came here and hes been a workhorse and great teammate the entire time.

What I do regret is not trading 5 spots higher in the 2nd round and drafting Portis ourselves instead of Betts...

Yes, it was a horrible trade. Whether the team regrets it? I don't know. But I certainly do.

Sure, Portis had done well for us. But Portis was worth only a 2nd rounder himself. That was his market value. If we wanted to trade Bailey for Portis, then the trade should have been Bailey for Portis and a 1st or 2nd rounder. Bailey--a top CB--is worth TONS more than a RB. Denver should have thrown in a 1st or 2nd. That we gave up Baily and a 2nd rounder for Portis is one of the biggest rapings you'll see in a trade.

And to those who swear Champ wanted out, that is nothing more than ES-generated gospel created to justify the move and repeated so often that people swear it was the undeniable, irrefutable truth. Champ wanted more, there is no doubt about that. And sure he was threatening to leave. But those were negotiating tactics. It is not a certainty that we could not have made him happy and kept him. So don't listen to those who swear there is no way we could of kept him and refer to some unsubstantiated rumors about women.

Denver has gotten worst everywhere...Offense and defense:chair:

we have gotten better on both sides ...enought said Joe Gibbs did a hell of a job for that trade

Considering that we would have lost Bailey anyway as an un-restricted free agent and we did not have the cap room to franchise him, we did Ok with Portis. With that said, a good organization would have traded CP last year when he still had value and at least got a solid pick.

:doh: For the 1,000,000th time:

Champ wanted out. We would have lost him anyway. We got Clinton Freaking Portis out of it. Losing Bailey was not why we haven't won the Super Bowl. Having Portis is not why we haven't won the Super Bowl. Nothing to see here.

Please close this thread.

Well unless Champ was an unrestricted free agent (which seems unlikely since he was traded during the off-season) we wouldn't have necessarily lost him. Even if he was due to be a free agent after the next season, there is still the franchise tag.

I could be wrong. If I am, please enlighten me.

Considering that we would have lost Bailey anyway

See? It just keeps getting said over and over until many accept it as truth despite the fact it was anything but truth.

We had a player who wanted more money then we were prepared to offer. We see this situation all the time with star players. And teams can decide to keep the guy and pony up the money. It does not mean the player is "absolutely gone" because he is demanding more money.

Yes absolute swaddle about Baily wanting out . I meen he was in camp negociating ...bah revisionist history . In 2002/2003 the Franchise made a descion and made LaVar the face of the D . Anything he wanted he could get (except that 6.5 million his agents pencil crayoned onto his contract) Bailey would never be the superstar here and he was sick of all the upheaval and change that prevented the players seeing their potential . I believe he also convinced Smoot to leave following the 2004 season as well . So Bailey wanted out ...OR a massive contract to make up for being so set upon ... we couldn not do it with the money being spent .

As for your sig ... the quickest waay to go back is going back ...the quickest way forward is well ... forwards ....

Considering that we would have lost Bailey anyway as an un-restricted free agent and we did not have the cap room to franchise him, we did Ok with Portis. With that said, a good organization would have traded CP last year when he still had value and at least got a solid pick.

Doesn't CP's age and salary cap number make him pretty much untradeable?

Name any game that Champ Made a major Impact on(in his NFL Career)...Honestly?

I am pretty sure some one will say did you see the Cowboys game?LMFAO It's Funny that Carlos Rogers defended Four straight DRIVES with Romo sits to pee Throwing to T.O..instead of PATRICK CRAYTON..lol..but Champ has the better name and has had the better career...but besides that..... Rogers Preformance against the Cryboys last year was better than Champs this year...Champ Bailey=Most Overatted player in history

Well unless Champ was an unrestricted free agent (which seems unlikely since he was traded during the off-season) we wouldn't have necessarily lost him. Even if he was due to be a free agent after the next season, there is still the franchise tag.

I could be wrong. If I am, please enlighten me.

No, you are correct.

We could have paid Champ and he would have been perfectly happy to stay. We refused to pay him and chose instead to trade him.

I never understood why Snyder was willing throw ridiculous money at scrubs like Portis, Carter, Lloyd, ARE, Archuleta, Haynesworth, and Hall, but the one great home-grown player we had, Snyder balked at paying him. Same thing with so many other homegrown players we got rid of instead of paying who have gone on to be good players elsewhere. Snyder just always preferred paying other team's players instead of our players.

Denver has gotten worst everywhere...Offense and defense:chair:

we have gotten better on both sides ...enought said Joe Gibbs did a hell of a job for that trade

BAHAHAHA. This is pretty funny. This couldn't be anymore farther from the truth. Denver has gotten WORST on offense and defense? You seem to forget the year when Jay Cutler was a bronco? Sure, there defense stunk last year. They haven't been a complete team until this year. Or perhaps do you need a reminder that Denver is 4-0 right now? Orton is doing enough and not screwing up. There D right now is NASTY. There O right now is no better and no worse then our O in the past 5 years.

I find it hard to believe that anyone thinks the Redskins regret the trade. Some in the organization might be saddened by the situation that made Bailey want to get out of town but that was out of the organizations direct control (I suppose they could have offered him a big enough contract to get him to stay but that would have been the worse option). The Jets (I think) also offered a deal that might have gotten us Steve Jackson along with Taylor and Cooley while giving us the ammunition to get JC without giving away what we did but since our issue is o-line, I don't think there would be much help.

No, you are correct.

I never understood why Snyder was willing throw ridiculous money at scrubs like Portis, Carter, Lloyd, ARE, Archuleta, Haynesworth, and Hall, but the one great home-grown player we had, Snyder balked at paying him. Same thing with so many other homegrown players we got rid of instead of paying who have gone on to be good players elsewhere. Snyder just always preferred paying other team's players instead of our players.

To me, that's the worst part about the Snyder era. Good organizations develop their own, pay the elite players elite money while in their primes, and don't pay them elite money after they've passed their primes.

Following those rules pretty much eliminates shoveling money at free agents (for the most part) and losing productive home-grown talent (Bailey, Pierce, Clark) in order to sign overrated free agents (Sanders, Arch, B. Lloyd).

Denver has gotten worst everywhere...Offense and defense

Really? I'm not saying the Broncos are Super Bowl material, but funny that they're 4-0 and we're 2-2.

Actually, I think if you look over the past several years since that trade, neither team has really stood out as a true contender. The trade was a wash.

Yeah,Trade The NFL leading Rusher at the time:doh:...SMFH

If you woke up lon a monday last season when CP was dominating the NFL...and it read Skins Trade CP To Dallas for a 1st round pick in next years draft ....You and the others would have been Blowing up this organization..

I will laugh again when CP is leading the Nfl in yards again..though he might not hold his spot for a long time he will lead the nfl once again..he is currently Ranked 9th...two straight 100 yrd games and he will atleast be top three rusher...Its a long season anything can happen

Name any game that Champ Made a major Impact on(in his NFL Career)...Honestly?

You're kidding, right?

In the 2006 playoffs against the Patriots -- intercepted a pass from Brady and returned it 100 yards to the 1 yard line. Broncos scored the next play, won the game, and stopped the Patriots from a chance at their third straight Super Bowl.

For the record, I also think Portis has made a major impact in a number of games in his career. Maybe not on the same stage, but the point is they have both been pretty darn good players.

Yeah,Trade The NFL leading Rusher at the time:doh:...SMFH

If you woke up lon a monday last season when CP was dominating the NFL...and it read Skins Trade CP To Dallas for a 1st round pick in next years draft ....You and the others would have been Blowing up this organization..

I will laugh again when CP is leading the Nfl in yards again..though he might not hold his spot for a long time he will lead the nfl once again..he is currently Ranked 9th...two straight 100 yrd games and he will atleast be top three rusher...Its a long season anything can happen

Hey, I love CP but the only way he's leading the NFL in yards at this point is:

1. He gets 350-400 carries.

2. The offensive line shows marked improvement.

3. He invents a time machine and goes back to 2003. He just doesn't have that explosive burst anymore. When he tries to reach back for it, he ends up tripping over his own feet.

You're kidding, right?

In the 2006 playoffs against the Patriots -- intercepted a pass from Brady and returned it 100 yards to the 1 yard line. Broncos scored the next play, won the game, and stopped the Patriots from a chance at their third straight Super Bowl.

For the record, I also think Portis has made a major impact in a number of games in his career. Maybe not on the same stage, but the point is they have both been pretty darn good players.

I believe he made the game-saving play against Dallas on Sunday?

That being said, I remember Champ more for him getting torched by The Rocket on a couple of crucial late-game occasions vs. the Boys, than anything he did positively while wearing Burgundy and Gold.

Of course, maybe that's just because I'm biased against him for crying his way out of town. Although I do understand his feelings about the (lack of) direction of the organization.

Really? I'm not saying the Broncos are Super Bowl material, but funny that they're 4-0 and we're 2-2.

Actually, I think if you look over the past several years since that trade, neither team has really stood out as a true contender. The trade was a wash.

...With Portis Denver was a better team its a fact....Yeah Denver is 4-0 now and we are 2-2 ... what is your point? Last year we was 6-2 what was Denver Record then? If your point is about team being better after the first quarter of football? then i guess you are right ...but me personally I am talking about the Team overall...have they gotten better? we are better at the RB position and the Defense has been better then the time when we had champ...Those are not opinions those are facts...Denver Rb position has declined over the years...If they have a 1000 yard rb thats good for them....but they are replacing a 1500+yard Rb...Denver Defense was ranked pretty high before Champ got there i belive they were fourth or 3rd....After they got Champ they drop to 14th i belive...Not all Champs fault....I am just saying though..the Fact is we got better,and Denver has gotten worst

Archived