Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES: Horton addresses guest-blogger situation

themurf

horton100609.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

This has been an up-and-down season for Washington Redskins safety Chris “The Predator” Horton, to say the least.

In the Week 1 loss to the New York Giants, Horton was benched in the second half, even though he finished the game second on the team in tackles, with nine. No explanation has been given.

One week later, on third-and-goal against the St. Louis Rams, Horton caused a fourth-quarter fumble that cornerback Carlos Rogers recovered to preserve the 9-7 win in the team’s home opener.

During Week 3, Horton was whistled on a 47-yard pass interference call in the deciding moments of the stomach-punch loss to the Detroit Lions. Adding insult to injury, it was then announced that Horton would be removed from the starting lineup in favor of Reed Doughty.

This week, defensive end Jeremy Jarmon caused a fumble with a pivotal third-down strip and Horton pounced on the loose football to hold off the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. That means that, even though Horton has been relegated to a reserve role, he’s made the play to seal both Redskins victories this season.

“It was just one of those things,” Horton said. “One of our linemen got a hand on the ball and when it came out; I was just running to the football. I truly believe that when I go to the ball, good things happen for me.

“As far as starting, yeah, I was a little disappointed,” said Horton. “But my job here is to do whatever I can to help this team win. Whether it’s me starting or Reed, I know I’m going to get playing time, and when I’m in there, I’m going to do my job. I’m not sitting around like, “Aw, man. I’m not starting, so I don’t have anything to look forward to.’ Guys are still counting on me.”

If you keep making these clutch fourth-quarter plays, you’re only making it tougher for coaches to keep you off the field, right?

“I’m always going to try and make it hard for them,” he said. “I’m going to come out each week, practice hard and compete. If every game from here on out Reed is the starter and I’m the backup, then so be it. I’m going to live with it, come out and give it my all and continue to make plays.”

We’ve got to ask you about an ugly situation involving a blogger on your website calling out Greg Blache, Albert Haynesworth and DeAngelo Hall. Can you explain what the hell happened with that?

Click here for the full article.

He has the right type of attitude. I think Chris is going to be a vital part of this team going forward and into the future. I don't mind that Reed is starting, after all in the Lions game he did not quit, like some other players. But, I think it's great that we have 2 starting level safeties that can rotate in and out. Plus using Kareem Moore a bit seemed like a good thing to get these guys on the field.

Right now, Landry is our most inconsistent safety, but he just needs to reel it in and be in control.

Right now, Landry is our most inconsistent safety, but he just needs to reel it in and be in control.

Had a very interesting conversation with some folks within the organization a couple weeks back and the question was asked - who is the most overrated player on the team?

My answer was Mike Sellers, simply because I feel if there are two guys to choose from when he's blocking, he picks the wrong one too often. One of the other guys said LaRon Landry. Said he's a fan of him, but Landry takes too many bad angles and makes too many questionable decisions. If nothing else, it made for an interesting conversation.

Had a very interesting conversation with some folks within the organization a couple weeks back and the question was asked - who is the most overrated player on the team?

My answer was Mike Sellers, simply because I feel if there are two guys to choose from when he's blocking, he picks the wrong one too often. One of the other guys said LaRon Landry. Said he's a fan of him, but Landry takes too many bad angles and makes too many questionable decisions. If nothing else, it made for an interesting conversation.

Landry has been a disappointment this year. Last couple years I gave him the benefit of the doubt, but I'm getting tired of the undisciplined play that usually accompanies him. I cringe every time I see one of those arm-bar tackles that he whiffs on.

Landry has been a disappointment this year. Last couple years I gave him the benefit of the doubt, but I'm getting tired of the undisciplined play that usually accompanies him. I cringe every time I see one of those arm-bar tackles that he whiffs on.

I take it you saw the deep slant where instead of knocking the ball up into the receivers sternum, he sidesteps to avoid contact and throw up his right are in some half-@ssed attempt at stripping the ball/tackling.

My immediate thoughts, "Dude wouldn't have been running that route, OR catching that pass if SEAN was back there." :doh:

It's no coincidence that Horton and Doughty, two of our best and most consistent players this year, are homegrown talent trying to prove that they are worth the franchises time.

Dan Snyder take notice. If you want players to play with emotion and determination, make them earn their big paychecks, don't give them out at the front end and cross your fingers that your investment will pan out.

Yes, it is interesting, and I like that you have those conversation and can carefully share some of them. I think either player choice has it's share of followers for "most overrated." Sellers got a lot of mileage out of his 6-for-6 TD catch year under Gibbs. And those colorfulruns (too few IMO) where CP gained good yards riding his shirt-tial (hanging on sometimes).

Sadly, and not necessarily merited, there are only a few players you could pick where you wouldn't be part of a crowd in your selection of "dissapointing." :(

I still see Landry make a lot of plays and see the talent, yet am left feeling dissapointed. How much of whatever is fair about that is all on him is another matter. S

Landry has one problem as far as I'm concerned:

Film Study.

You can tell all the bad angles and missed tackles are more an effect of him not knowing where the QB is going with the ball, or simply an inability to ever diagnose a play (pass or run) before the snap. I'm sorry, but starting Safeties should know what plays are being ran the majority of the time based on the formation and initial steps WRs make in their routes. Landry seemingly never does, and it's why he has those "oops, I'm shocked the ball went there", late-by-just-a-step tackles.

This guy could be an absolute play maker if he did. He could easily bait QBs at least twice a game into making a throw they shouldn't and jumping a route if he had an inkling about what was going to happen before the snap. That's the difference between him and a guy like Ed Reed. Landry waits for the play to develop after the snap, then decides what to do. His only asset being his athleticism, his make-up speed. Ed Reed already knows the play either before the snap based on the formation, or adjusts quickly after watching the WRs come off the snap a lot more than Landry does.

I don't know... I fault the coaches as well. They should let him jump some routes in certain situations. Force him to memorize every play a team shows from at least one formation, and when they line up in that formation, take a guess and jump it. I think it'll work more often than not, and they can have Horton/Doughty play deep in those cases to save the big play. Landry can give them a signal when he's doing it.

I feel like we have so much talent being wasted because we take absolutely no risks, especially in the secondary. The Bucs game was a refreshing change, but I feel like as soon as we face a competent offense our coaches may go back to playing it safe. We're just not a confident group, and we can and should be on defense.

Landry's problem is that he tries to play like Sean Taylor; He tries to run all over the field knocking guys out instead of wrapping up, but he needs to realize he isn't big enough to play like that. Sean could, Laron cannot. His tackling (or lack there of) has been a huge liability this season.

Landry's problem is that he tries to play like Sean Taylor; He tries to run all over the field knocking guys out instead of wrapping up, but he needs to realize he isn't big enough to play like that. Sean could, Laron cannot. His tackling (or lack there of) has been a huge liability this season.

HE was a liability last year as well. Tackles too high, Landry your not Taylor. GET over it. And start playing your game.

Can we get back on subject and talk about our heart throb chris "JUDGE DREDS" (The Predator is so unoriginal) Horton. Love the class act of this guy, don't know WHY he's not starting...he may make some mistakes but he's a 2nd year...everyone makes mistakes. He was definitely a steal in the 7th round and I love this guy! One of the best players on this team imo. Home Grown Greatness.

Keep your head down chris! You'll prove who is one of the best safties on this team sooner or later (No offense to reed, he's pretty decent too)

Landry has one problem as far as I'm concerned:

Film Study.

You can tell all the bad angles and missed tackles are more an effect of him not knowing where the QB is going with the ball, or simply an inability to ever diagnose a play (pass or run) before the snap. I'm sorry, but starting Safeties should know what plays are being ran the majority of the time based on the formation and initial steps WRs make in their routes. Landry seemingly never does, and it's why he has those "oops, I'm shocked the ball went there", late-by-just-a-step tackles.

Boy - this is an astute assessment. I think this is one of the reasons why we see him playing centerfield. The coaches are using his ability to re-act instead of having the ability to act.

Film study is an under-appreciated necessity that separates the good from the great. It was in Sean's last two years where we started hearing about him becoming a student of the game and it showed on the field. It is what will show the difference between the elite college player and the professional NFL player.

Preperation is why Ed Reed and Troy P. always seem to be in the right place. We are seeing it in Reed D (although he lacks the elite skill set).

Now, as for Horton, it may not be refreshing to hear the cliches, but I feel there is a sincerity there. I know that being a starter is important, (for money, at a minimum) but New England has shown the importance of players understanding that football is a team sport.

:helmet: The Rook

Archived