Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"IT WAS A VERY SOLID PLAY..." -zorn. not.

BthatRAD09

WHAT!? In the post-game conference when asked about the 4th and one play call on the first drive, he said "it was a very solid play" he called, and should have gotten them the yard. HE'S CALLED THAT PLAY SIGNIFICANTLY MORE THAN ANY OTHER PLAY WHILE IN THE RED ZONE, AND I DOUBT IT EVEN AVERAGES A YARD! We did the same play last week on 4th and one also, and guess what, we lost yards.

I think Campbell is the man and if he gets benched ill be even more pissed. Better playcalling in the red zone from zorn as everyone else has been saying as well, and more blitzes, especially against rookie quarterbacks!

But hey, still love the skins, just dont remember ever being this mad.

I was screaming for a PA-rollout prior to the play. The commentators seemed to agree with me that it would've been a good play.

Thank you. A play action rollout would have been perfect there. I just shook my head when we ran the ball to the left. The Lions, along with all the teams in the NFL, can see that one coming.

It would be interesting to see how many times they ran left in goal line since Zorn took over and they failed. I remember same thing happening multiple times last year. Zorn called the same play with Betts and he couldn't convert in one specific instance. Also, Zorn sounds real arrogant on his ability of play calling. If I, a joe nobody, can predict his plays from my couch, I can only imagine how rest of the football world looking right through his "solid" play.

By saying this, he also throws his team under the bus.

Essentially he says, "Well, I dialed up the right play, we just didn't execute!"

And while that is true in part, it wasn't a great play call either. Which he seems to think it was. Run left when that's our tendency? What makes him think that's a solid play call? Was he banking on the fact the Lions would sell out right because it's not possible for us to keep trying to go left on the goal line?

And why not run the ball up the gut?

Eh, whatever. He's the head coach, he knows more about this team than I do... I don't get to see them in practice at all.

Part of it is luck. There is definitely luck involved. OldFan touched on this last week. You can increase your odds slightly by out-smarting the defense with a call they didn't anticipate, but a call doesn't exist that is guaranteed. There is risk involved with a 4th and one play, regardless of how much faith you have in a particular play. Just because the play failed doesn't mean Zorn is an idiot or the team didn't do their best. There is luck involved.

The bottom line is, the Redskins are not as good as many had hoped. But they're not as bad as many are saying, either. The Redskins are a mediocre football team who got beat on the road by another mediocre football team.

I keep repeating this and not that im defending the play but this isnt madden, you dont just flip the game on and play.

They run this play consistently in practice, it is one of the offenses most successful plays. If in practice they run it 100 times a day, and 99 times out of 100 they pick up at least 1 yard, wouldnt it make sense to run this play? If the players show in practice throughout the week that this is their best executed play, doesnt it make it the "right" play to call given your odds of getting that 1 yd?

As another poster mentioned earlier you have to take predictability into account for sure, but if your offense is so dominating on that play in practice that they have convinced you its their go to play (which obviously they have) then you cant blame Zorn. Remember the days of the hogs where they would tell the defense whats coming and say try to stop us? This offense should be able to pick up 1 yd on the goal line no matter WHAT play is called. If your oline cant generate 1 single yard of push...thats not on the coaches.

Part of it is luck. There is definitely luck involved. OldFan touched on this last week. You can increase your odds slightly by out-smarting the defense with a call they didn't anticipate, but a call doesn't exist that is guaranteed. There is risk involved with a 4th and one play, regardless of how much faith you have in a particular play. Just because the play failed doesn't mean Zorn is an idiot or the team didn't do their best. There is luck involved.

The bottom line is, the Redskins are not as good as many had hoped. But they're not as bad as many are saying, either. The Redskins are a mediocre football team who got beat on the road by another mediocre football team.

Luck is preparation locking heads with opportunity, Mark.

Too many excuses going on here.

Zorn played right into his tendency and ignored the fact that Portis has been a very good between the tackles runner.

There's luck involved with every football play. The good teams make themselves good by executing on every single play. Our players didn't get the job done and the play call stunk.

We took luck out of the equation and played right into what they KNEW we'd do. That's not the Lions getting lucky or us getting unlucky. That's giving it away.

I keep repeating this and not that im defending the play but this isnt madden, you dont just flip the game on and play.

They run this play consistently in practice, it is one of the offenses most successful plays. If in practice they run it 100 times a day, and 99 times out of 100 they pick up at least 1 yard, wouldnt it make sense to run this play? If the players show in practice throughout the week that this is their best executed play, doesnt it make it the "right" play to call given your odds of getting that 1 yd?

As another poster mentioned earlier you have to take predictability into account for sure, but if your offense is so dominating on that play in practice that they have convinced you its their go to play (which obviously they have) then you cant blame Zorn. Remember the days of the hogs where they would tell the defense whats coming and say try to stop us? This offense should be able to pick up 1 yd on the goal line no matter WHAT play is called. If your oline cant generate 1 single yard of push...thats not on the coaches.

Practice is an entirely different breed of animal from a game. ENTIRELY different. Your scout defense isn't as good as a starting NFL defense. So sure, you can bully your own team's backups on the play and make it work... But going against a real defense is just a little bit different.

Bad play call.

Bad execution.

Bad all the way around on that play.

Practice is an entirely different breed of animal from a game. ENTIRELY different. Your scout defense isn't as good as a starting NFL defense. So sure, you can bully your own team's backups on the play and make it work... But going against a real defense is just a little bit different.

Bad play call.

Bad execution.

Bad all the way around on that play.

Its all relative.

If you execute 25 runs in practice, and of those 25 different plays this play consistently is the most successful - time after time after time after time in any situation in practice...wouldnt you call your must successful/dominating play given the personnel you have on the field? You would, at least the first couple times.

Again Zorn needs to find out WHY this play fails when its crunch time. He needs to find out WHY they must rely on this play time and time again, what are they doing wrong that he has no confidence in another clutch play? Thats the issue, not just call a different play. There is a reason hes calling that play, hes said it as much every single time its failed.

In my estimation, Zorn is an insanely stubborn guy, bordering on arrogant, and now that he's had this play blow up on multiple times, he'll learn his lesson and correct it.

Its all relative.

If you execute 25 runs in practice, and of those 25 different plays this play consistently is the most successful - time after time after time after time in any situation in practice...wouldnt you call your must successful/dominating play given the personnel you have on the field? You would, at least the first couple times.

Again Zorn needs to find out WHY this play fails when its crunch time. He needs to find out WHY they must rely on this play time and time again, what are they doing wrong that he has no confidence in another clutch play? Thats the issue, not just call a different play. There is a reason hes calling that play, hes said it as much every single time its failed.

In my estimation, Zorn is an insanely stubborn guy, bordering on arrogant, and now that he's had this play blow up on multiple times, he'll learn his lesson and correct it.

I can't disagree with you more.

If there's a weak spot on our scout D to that side when we run left, we're going to execute it every single time due to Samuels ability. Again, I don't see practice, I can't know for sure, but it's not all in the numbers.

Zorn is comfortable with a play that simply doesn't work in games. Perhaps he should start getting more aggravated with himself and draw up new plays or stick with the inside run. Teams know we like going outside on those stretch/off tackle runs which opens up the inside.

Football is a strategic game. Going with your best play in practice isn't always the best solution.

I can't disagree with you more.

If there's a weak spot on our scout D to that side when we run left, we're going to execute it every single time due to Samuels ability. Again, I don't see practice, I can't know for sure, but it's not all in the numbers.

Zorn is comfortable with a play that simply doesn't work in games. Perhaps he should start getting more aggravated with himself and draw up new plays or stick with the inside run. Teams know we like going outside on those stretch/off tackle runs which opens up the inside.

Football is a strategic game. Going with your best play in practice isn't always the best solution.

The "weak spot" you talk about is certainly an assumption as you clearly state. So thats out the window. I would think the coaches and the team would know well enough that someone sucks on the left side thats the reason. Not to mention they dont just play against the scout teams in practice.

The 2nd part of your statement I totally agree with, and he needs to get it together. Im not defending Zorn per say, Im explaining the rational side of why he continues to call this play. The way people describe it around here its like its madden, its a no brainer, just click x and do a "HB dive" instead. There is reasoning behind it.

Now that hes 0 for everything on that play, as stubborn as he is, it will take a bunch of times for him to go back to the drawing board. I bet he doesnt do it again.

Thank you. A play action rollout would have been perfect there. I just shook my head when we ran the ball to the left. The Lions, along with all the teams in the NFL, can see that one coming.

I thought so too. If he had Cooley running a crossing route, I think JC would have been close enough to run it in himself if no one was open.

Archived