Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bad Decision by Zorn Led to Lions First TD

Zhouse

Sorry if this has been discussed.

I watched this game at a bar without any volume so I couldn't hear what was going on. But I think Zorn made a horrible decision on this particular play.

During the Lions' TD drive in the first quarter, they were at our 33 yard line and it was 3rd &3. Stafford's pass was incomplete but there was also an offensive pass interference call.

The ref seemed to be looking towards our sideline asking "are you declining the penalty," but to my surprise the penalty was enforced making it 3rd &13. That gave the Lions another opportunity and as we all know, that drive led to their first TD.

What was Zorn thinking? Was he trying to push the Lions out of field goal position? Wouldn't you force the Lions make a 50 yarder rather than giving them another down?

I guess I wouldn't question the call as much if they weren't at the 33 yard line. Also, this is first quarter and the score is 0-0. If he accepts the penalty, the worst thing that could happen (and it did) is a TD. If he declines, the worst that could happen is a 50 yarder for 3 points.

Sorry if this has been discussed.

I watched this game at a bar without any volume so I couldn't hear what was going on. But I think Zorn made a horrible decision on this particular play.

During the Lions' TD drive in the first quarter, they were at our 33 yard line and it was 3rd &3. Stafford's pass was incomplete but there was also an offensive pass interference call.

The ref seemed to be looking towards our sideline asking "are you declining the penalty," but to my surprise the penalty was enforced making it 3rd &13. That gave the Lions another opportunity and as we all know, that drive led to their first TD.

What was Zorn thinking? Was he trying to push the Lions out of field goal position? Wouldn't you force the Lions make a 50 yarder rather than giving them another down?

Good call. They were indoors at home, so the FG was makeable. The defense should have stepped up on 3rd and 13.

I guess I wouldn't question the call as much if they weren't at the 33 yard line. Also, this is first quarter and the score is 0-0. If he accepts the penalty, the worst thing that could happen (and it did) is a TD. If he declines, the worst that could happen is a 50 yarder for 3 points.

I think what it mainly came down to was Zorn felt the chances of Jason Hanson making a 50 yd FG was better than the defense giving up a 1st down following the penalty. I'd tend to agree actually.

Bad CAll! if he hits a 50 yarder and you are down 3 to the Lions big whoop,but if he misses you have regain momentum..But WHy in the **** would you think that this D was going to stop them? Even if they did they punt we go three and out the Lions still have momentum...TOO many things have to go right for you to agree with taking the penalty..for one you have to hope your defense stop them on third down...then you have to recieve a punt that would have gave the Lions great feild position..Then you have to aviod GOING THREE AND OUT..or else the Det keeps the momentum...If you decline and let them try a feild goal the only risk is them making it 50/50 chances...Even if he hits a 50 yarder wich i doubt..3 points wont hold momentum for a long time

Good call. They were indoors at home, so the FG was makeable. The defense should have stepped up on 3rd and 13.

I agree, it was a good decision and with the talent we have on defense, they needed to make the stop. I guess in Zorn's case it is a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation.

It was one of the few Zorn calls that I agreed with.

I think what it mainly came down to was Zorn felt the chances of Jason Hanson making a 50 yd FG was better than the defense giving up a 1st down following the penalty. I'd tend to agree actually.

A simple defensive holding penalty would extend the drive. You should avoid giving an offense one more attempt at extending a drive in today's NFL.

The Lions started the drive from their own 1, what gave zorn the confidence that they will hold up on that particular play?

A simple defensive holding penalty would extend the drive. You should avoid giving an offense one more attempt at extending a drive in today's NFL.

The Lions started the drive from their own 1, what gave zorn the confidence that they will hold up on that particular play?

+5

...and I'm sure it's already been said today a million times, but take those 4 points away and add in 3 for a field goal on 4th and 1...and it's 17-15 Skins win...

No doubt, totally agreed. You have to EXPECT your defense to stop a 3rd and 13. Just like you EXPECT your offense to get 1 yard, and if they dont, you EXPECT your defense to not allow a 99 yd TD drive.

The players failed, period.

Pushing them out of field goal range is a bad decision? On what planet is that a bad decision?

You know what was a bad decision, not pressuring a rookie QB on an obvious passing down. Force him onto a hot route making it almost impossible to gain 13 yards even if you do get a completion. If our defensive coordinator wasn't such a gutless coward we'd be in much better shape.

Thank you! no coach other than Corn would have done that :doh: Never give anyone 2 chances the results arent that good ...just look at penalty's..when ever a defense makes a good play but it is stop by a dumb flag...the very next play the team usually scores or gets the first down no matter what team is playing ..its the Nfl even the Redskins might do somthing positive with two chances:(

+5

...and I'm sure it's already been said today a million times, but take those 4 points away and add in 3 for a field goal on 4th and 1...and it's 17-15 Skins win...

Coulda shoulda woulda

Like it's been said, hindsight's 20/20, hypothetical situations are easy to map out after the fact.

It was a good move, our D isnt playing up to what it should be.

Pushing them out of field goal range is a bad decision? On what planet is that a bad decision?

You know what was a bad decision, not pressuring a rookie QB on an obvious passing down. Force him onto a hot route making it almost impossible to gain 13 yards even if you do get a completion. If our defensive coordinator wasn't such a gutless coward we'd be in much better shape.

The planet when they come right down and score...Dumbass:chair:

Archived