Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Flow of traffic on Arena Drive was a nightmare!

HigSkin

This is good info, thanks for the posts.

It's going to take a few games to get the parking situations smoothed out.

Hey Mark ... I have to say it was an interesting day as well with respect to parking. Here are some observations from Orange H-3 ...

Excepting for one, our group had no problems parking in our usual area ... (and this with me having a dead battery when we were released from Arena Drive - how embarrassing). The one that was told to park elsewhere was initially told to park elsewhere in the lot but he wound up with us.

The left spur off Arena Drive, which in years past did not start backing up from Morgan Boulevard until 1100, started feeling the pinch much earlier; more like 0945. The lane configuration of the spur: left two lanes to Orange H-3, right two lanes continue to Morgan. Between the H-3 entrance and Morgan, cars were not only shifted from the right to the left but also forced to merge into one lane.

Somewhere at around 1130, cars with green and red passes were being directed into Orange H-3. Also, there were a few cars with orange passes that kept going beyond H-3 so I have no idea where they were headed. Perhaps the area that shows A-3 on the map which, when we looked beyond Morgan, was VERY empty ... (we thought that might have been a purple A lot but the map does not show it)

Finally, there was someone who was using a parking space at the front of H-3 even though they had plenty of grass on which to set up. Nothing was ever said to them ...

It was unexpectedly easy to get into the stadium for the Home Opener, compared to the last two years. We queued up at security 10 minutes before kickoff and breezed right in.

Hope this helps with getting things worked out ...

cheers

Traffic was atrocious on Arena Blvd...its NEVER like that so far in advance of a game. Never.

Out typical B lot was packed, I guess they were routing people there. We ended up going down an aisle and just going through some caution tape to get to the other end of the b-lot where it was completely empty.

This is just going to get worse...imagine a Monday night division game factoring in typical area traffic? Better leave at 3PM.

If you have a green pass and you arrive after 3.5 hours prior to kickoff, you should probably consider taking Exit 17 Rt 202 Landover Rd to access the Green D lot, or Exit 15 Central Ave to Morgan Blvd to access the Green A or B lots.

I've been trying to figure out when the D lots opens. It opens 3.5 hours prior to kickoff?

Traffic was atrocious on Arena Blvd...its NEVER like that so far in advance of a game. Never.

Out typical B lot was packed, I guess they were routing people there. We ended up going down an aisle and just going through some caution tape to get to the other end of the b-lot where it was completely empty.

This is just going to get worse...imagine a Monday night division game factoring in typical area traffic? Better leave at 3PM.

3 PM? I've already been in line for three hours by 3 PM for Monday night games... :)

I've been trying to figure out when the D lots opens. It opens 3.5 hours prior to kickoff?

No. All lots open four hours prior. However, if you look at the layout of the C & D lots, because the C lot lacks it's own exclusive entrance and requires traveling across the D lots, if you intend on parking in the D lot, it's possible you will be flagged over to far end of the C lot depending on what time you arrive.

It wasn't only the Green Lot, it was also the Orange lot next to Purple Parking. It was blocked off well past 12:00. I have parked in the same Orange Parking lot and spot the past seven years. I was able to slip in with a couple of other cars around 10:15 but it was sealed back up. The entire parking lot crew were standing next to cones on the Arena Drive entrance to the Orange and Purple Parking blocking entrance. We talked to a few of them after we parked and they said the new rule is to fill up all the back parking lots first. This created a traffic nightmare as people were out on the interstate backed all the way up past Central trying to get into Arena. The Orange lot on Arena wasn't even half full by gametime. I think ol' Dan likes this because it will cut down on tailgate time and make you buy more food inside. I can't beleive that we spend all this money for tickets and parking, then we can't even enjoy the few free amenities that remain.

3 PM? I've already been in line for three hours by 3 PM for Monday night games... :)

How ridiculous. Leaving 6 hours prior to gametime when you live 8 miles from the stadium is not enough?

This team needs to reverse engineer its processes - what would make the fans ENJOY the atmosphere more....not what can we charge for then what will they swallow.

I still enjoy going to the games, its one of my favorite things, but its really no thanks to this organization at all. They really make it as difficult as possible to enjoy. "Fun prevention" literally...I mean really other than field the Redskins, what "glad thats there" or "good thing weve got..." do we have other than occassionally working escalators and wildly available dirt cheap tickets & parking passes?

We have had season tickets now for many years. We usually arrive around 9:30am for 1pm games and noon for 4pm games. We have parking pass for Orange lot. We come up 202 to arena drive and always cruise right to our lot, get a spot close to the lot entrance/exit so we can make a quick getaway. Yesterday was a TOTAL DISASTER. Every single time we go to this stadium, something happens to ruin the experience and we have finally reached our breaking point. For those on the supposed "waiting list" for season tickets, you won't have to wait much longer, cause ours will be available next season.

We got half way up arena drive and then all of a sudden, GRIDLOCK. At 9:15am? We had NEVER seen this. So we assumed it was the first home game excitement attracting tons of fans.....WRONG. The complete idiots who handle the parking situation had done some things I found to be unexplainable. Please explain to me why 4 lanes get bottlenecked down to one or two lanes? Then, after it opens up, we start moving towards our Orange lot when more cones and temporary fences again take a way 2 lanes forcing us to merge right into more gridlock, just to creep along to where we take the left into our lot. Why on earth were all these lanes closed down?

Then, the straw that broke our back....we get into our lot which is not even 10% full. Only the tailgaiters along the edge of the lot are there. We pull in and get a spot right near the entrance/exit for our quick getaway like we do every season. Then, a parking "manager" in a golf cart comes and asks us to move. We ask why, he just says he needs us to move to an outer spot. Already frustrated with the gridlock for no reason that we sat thru, now we have some douchebag in a golf cart telling us we can't park in a legit parking spot in the front/middle of the lot. He never gives us a reason and there are no signs, so we ignore him. He then yells that if we don't move it, we will be towed. We laugh at him and tell him please do, because after he get's fired, Danny will have to give us a ride home! The car was there after the game and we were able to get out and home to So. MD within an hour of the game ending.

But what we experienced yesterday, horrible game not included, was the worst parking experience we have ever seen. Dan Snyder and this organization is continuing to get worse and the "fan experience" is horrific. I hope Danny-boy makes plenty of money, cause he is losing fans by the minute. I still do and will always love my Skins and root for them, but thanks to Snyder and the absolute horrible way the game day experience has become, we are now selling our tickets for the rest of this year and watching games at home. Thanks Dan Snyder and the rest of the organization for ruining our game day experiences. Just a shame we waited so long for season tickets only to have it turn out like this. Maybe Obama could recommend a Stadium Czar who cares about the fans to work out all these kinks....

My dad called me from the parking lot and said the same thing. He and my mom showed up at 9:30 this morning and couldn't make that right into the green lots from Arena Dr. I think he said it took them an additional 25 minutes to get from where we used to enter on Arena Dr. to the entrance on Redskins Rd.

When they entered off of Redskins Road people were directing him where to park rather than letting him pick your own spot. He said he was expecting some confusion with the new parking regulations but actually being told where to park and still seeing people take up two spots with their tailgating stuff didn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense to him.

It was so much simpler when we could just show up early and set up on the grass strip in the green lots.

It's just a real nightmare. A couple weeks ago a lot was totally empty and they wouldn't let us park there saying it was the employee lot. I'm to the point where I just may take metro despite the walk. Heck I walk anyway when I have to park at the Library of Congress so why not save $20 and spend about 5

My buddy arrived at the first Orange lot off Arena around 9:15. The lights hadn't switched from the red x to green yet. He said the attendants were all dropped off in golf carts around 9:20 and proceeded to close the Green and Orange lots off Arena. These lots remained closed up until nearly gametime. So in essence, NO, all lots were not open 4 hours prior.

My buddy arrived at the first Orange lot off Arena around 9:15. The lights hadn't switched from the red x to green yet. He said the attendants were all dropped off in golf carts around 9:20 and proceeded to close the Green and Orange lots off Arena. These lots remained closed up until nearly gametime. So in essence, NO, all lots were not open 4 hours prior.
They close those lots now from Arena to force everyone to fill up the lots in back of the stadium. You can still get to those lots from Brightseat. I actually parked a couple of times in the bus lot across from the green lot and waited, and eventually cut across and got in.

No. All lots open four hours prior. However, if you look at the layout of the C & D lots, because the C lot lacks it's own exclusive entrance and requires traveling across the D lots, if you intend on parking in the D lot, it's possible you will be flagged over to far end of the C lot depending on what time you arrive.

I've never been allowed to enter D when the other lots open and I've seen multiple others refused entry as well, but I will see a few cars in there. After some time it seems to fill quickly.

I don't get it.

...Then, the straw that broke our back....we get into our lot which is not even 10% full. Only the tailgaiters along the edge of the lot are there. We pull in and get a spot right near the entrance/exit for our quick getaway like we do every season. Then, a parking "manager" in a golf cart comes and asks us to move. We ask why, he just says he needs us to move to an outer spot. Already frustrated with the gridlock for no reason that we sat thru, now we have some douchebag in a golf cart telling us we can't park in a legit parking spot in the front/middle of the lot. ....
Sorry for your problems.

It's not clear to me whether you were directed to your spot, or whether you just broke free from the line of cars and grabbed it. Sounds like you probably just took it. The new TG Policy says:

All vehicles will be directed to specific spaces in each lot.

http://wai.redskins.com/redskinsFile/docs/StadiumParkingMap2009.pdf

This has been discussed ad nauseum on this board already. You are allowed a little more leeway if you choose to park in the back of a given lot. Otherwise you will be directed to a specific spot.

If this is not agreeable to you, see Skinsfan1311's post #27. Had you left your house fifteen minutes earlier, I think you would have been fine.

I think a lot of these access problems will be ironed out in the next game or two.

I turned onto Morgan Blvd from Central Avenue around 11:45. We cruised to a little past where the Metro is and then noticed that they had dedicated three lanes to purple and platinum and forced everyone else into two lanes. I've been going to FedEx for over 10 years and don't remember having to crawl like that to reach the lot. And then you still have the folks who insist on taking up multiple spots with their crap. Nice enforcement Danny!

That's how we came in too. I don't remember ever having to wait to get into the Green lot. There's never a line to get in over there. I also noticed that they suck at directing traffice after a game. Why do they block off some ways to get out? I saw 4 cars trying to merge into one lane to get out of the Green lot thats by the fence coming from Morgan Blvd. I'm sure there were a few fender benders yesterday.

ok, i am sorry, i was NOT clear...we waited in line and were directed into our lot. the outside perimeter of the lot was being filled with tailgaiters. we were not tailgaiting, just parking. we were not directed to any specific area, and we just found a good spot that would assist with getting out quickly. after we had parked and were walking away is where they told us they needed us to move.

as for leaving 15 mins earlier....no way buddy! we have left the same time year after year, and all is fine each time. not sure why the parking staff has decided to bottlekneck traffic on arena drive not in one spot, but mulitple spots which caused a terrible gridlock before 9:30am. me leaving earlier is not the answer, removing the cones and temporary barriers from the middle of perfectly useful lanes is the issue.

again, just wanted to lay our story out there....doesn't matter much to me, i will be watching games on my new FiOS service at home and hopefully selling and not giving away my tickets....

I think we can officially conclude that ORANGE parkers should use Morgan Blvd. before any other approach. There is far more orange parking off of Morgan Blvd. than any of the other two arteries, plus its the easiest in and out.

I know, I know, everybody has their traditional spots and places where they meet their friends, but this is a year of change. I angrily had to move from my normal orange spot, but I think I may be better off b/c of it.

I've never been allowed to enter D when the other lots open and I've seen multiple others refused entry as well, but I will see a few cars in there. After some time it seems to fill quickly.

I don't get it.

I don't get it either.

If you're referring to last year, that's not applicable.

If you're referring to the Green D lot near the RV lot, it doesn't make sense.

If you're referring to the Orange or Purple D lot, it's possible they are routing those vehicles to the far lots on the other side of the stadium. I am guessing though.

See skinsfan1311's post # 27.

Did anyone park in what used to be known as Green B-3?

This lot is the largest single green lot and the most isolated. It sits on the far west side of the campus.

It doesn't seem like we ever read of anybody parking there or anybody being directed up to it. The few times I walked through it in past years, there was tons of open tailgating space.

I got to Arena drive at 10:00AM and crawled up to where I thought I could go right in to the F3 green parking lot area. Nope, they told me they just chained it off about 30 minutes prior to my arrival and the lot was only about 10% full. I asked how to get in to that area and was told to go back on the beltway and come in RT202. That from one of about 30 people directing 4 lanes to 2 lanes and eventually 1 lane towards the back lots on the west side of the stadium.

There were more cars sitting on stadium tributaries then there were in the lots. Really a pathetic experience and judging from the huge numbers of cars, I wasn't alone.

I used to rely on Arena as a quick in/out to the stadium but no more.

Same for us.....arrived on Arena Dr. at 9:15am. Traffic already backed up as they were forcing everyone to two lanes and left, down the hill to the back lots.

We blew through the "Line of Morons" and darted right, over a traffic cone and into the Green F Lot as normal. Screams from chasing lot attendants were heard, but short-lived, as we raced up to the the second entrance and turned right.

Once set up and tailgating at (F71), single spot, we had the unpleasant experience of watching 100s of cars ask the attendants how to access the F Green Lot, only to receive nothing more than a flag wave to the left and be directed down to the back lots. Some folks would get out of their cars, confront the attendants, yell at them for answers. No one was getting a verbal response. Unbelievable!! One guy was so mad, screaming and yelling that the parking supervisor screamed for police assistance. They were stationed about 100 ft. away and never came. Funny! No wonder the traffic was backed up to the beltway and beyond. With all the stopped cars and fighting, we basically had a normal 4 to 5 lane being shrunk down to 1.

We noticed that the second Green F Lot entrance was opened at 10:56a.m. and folks filled in then. This caused tailgate disturbances as these folks had to manuver their vehicles in semi-filled aisles, with existing tailgate equipment behind vehicles. Very hard for some people to park.

All in all, for us, not a bad tailgate.......now we broke the rules to get to F71 (Green), but for 2 + hrs. the lot was mostly empty.

Question.......how did the few others in Green F Lot access it legally?? Or did everyone slam through the "Line of Morons" like us????

Archived