Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is it possible to be addicted to the Redskins?

RIPSean

I've been thinking about how ridiculous the world of pro sports is lately and really find myself questioning why I invest so much of my thought and time into this team. A team of multi millionaires who I have no personal connection to and who don't give a damn about me or know of my existence.

Yet I still find myself obsessing over the business that we know as our Washington Redskins. I am still on ES reading asinine posts for hours every day, still watching the Giants game on Dvr, and still discussing Redskins football with whoever cares to listen.

Why?

Is it possible to develop some sort of mental dependence to a sports team? I don't even want to think about this team, or any pro sports team, as much as I do. But I can't seem to stop. I think it's possible that many fans have a dependence on "their team." It's like a drug. Only not obviously harmful in any major way.

What do you think?

What do you think?

It's too late for us older fans but I'd look for a better team. :2cents:

I was just lucky in 1980-1981 when I picked the Redskins, and I lived in Virginia, they started 0-5 but over the next 12 years won the majority of their games and 3 of 4 SB's. The Redskins had players you wanted to root for. The Smurfs, Hogs, Fun Bunch, Monk, Joe Washington, Nelms, Riggins, Theismann, Murphy, Manley+Mann+Butz, Green, Coleman, Byner, Grimm+Bostic+Jacoby+May, Chief Zee in the stands, the hogettes, hail to the redskins actually meant something, etc. Gibbs was a great coach. Beathard was a legend. What now?

I don't know how long I would have supported them if they were like the Cards/Lions from then till now. Maybe I'd just be a fan used to being pissed at the team for 3 decades, maybe I'd have quit watching, or maybe I'd find another team.

Right now, with this owner, new coach every few years, FA signings here for a payday, and mediocrity year after year with no division titles this century, I'd probably recommend moving on. It's up to you though.

:chair::chair::chair::chair::chair::chair::chair::chair::chair::chair:

Its definitely possible. I would only consider it a problem if its interfering with other things. I must admit, though, that I don't let other things interfere with Redskins football.

It is what it is..

Just a small piece of a large system set in front our faces to keep us content till we die. Enjoy!

I read this post and LMAO because I was engaged in a recent conversation and was asking the exact same thing.. I find myself everyday first thing in the morning, midday and before I go to sleep logging on to this site and other Skins site just to see whats being discussed. Everytime someone starts a conversation around football, may not even have anything to do with NFL but pop warner and I turn the conversation to the Skins:silly: and people are looking at me like "how in the hell we start talking about the Skins, this conversation was about how my son played this weekend in his pop warner game"..

So YES!!!! I must admit (my wife is a witness) I'm addicted and I'm still replaying several downs in my head from this past weekend and find myself counting the days until Sunday's kick-off..

Your not alone brother!!

HTTR!!!!

Yes.

I am the perfect example of an addicted Redskins fan.

You are young RIPSean for I have been a fan way longer then you have been alive so their is no turning back for me.

I eat, breath and sleep Redskins.

I spend way too much money on the Redskins though owning season tickets, buying jerseys, shirts and hats EVERY year. I have a Redskins room that I spend way too much money on (According to my wife) from memorabilia to Redskins furniture.

I wear Redskins attire YEAR round.

I have a Redskins tattoo.

I talk about the Redskins at the drop of a hat no matter what time of year it is. The wife has suggested I seek professional help with my addiction.

Yeah, I got problems. :hysterical:

Everything in my life revolves around this team. I am dependent, I am addicted. When buddies tell me "hey, can't watch the game this week I have to _____ ." It doesn't matter what you fill in the blank with it ain't good enough! I have missed a funeral among MANY other important events due to Redskins football.

When they changed my wifes schedule at work, told her she had to come in every Sunday 1-11....... she quit.

Football

Family

Work

In that order.

Everything in my life revolves around this team. I am dependent, I am addicted. When buddies tell me "hey, can't watch the game this week I have to _____ ." It doesn't matter what you fill in the blank with it ain't good enough! I have missed a funeral among MANY other important events due to Redskins football.

When they changed my wifes schedule at work, told her she had to come in every Sunday 1-11....... she quit.

Football

Family

Work

In that order.

That is freakin' awesome!

My earliest memories as a kid watching the Redskins were the George Allen years. To me it was something my family did every Sunday. It's now like a part of my life. To turn my back on the Redskins would seem like disrespect to all those good times.

As to changing teams. How do you do that???? I can understand if you've never been a fan and pick a team, but changing??? That's just bandwagon stuff there.

I don't know if addiction is the right word for me.

But more like, the Washington Redskins were my first real love when I was a kid.

The organization is like family to me, it can make me real mad, but I get over it quick and look forward to the day it'll lift me up and send me on an awesome ride like it did when I was 10 years old

I've heard from completely unreliable sources that they have been putting chemicals in the beer and the hotdogs, as well as adding subliminal messages within the barrage of advertisements at the stadium, in order to create this mass addiction. Its gotta be, right? It certainly aint the results!:D

I've heard from completely unreliable sources that they have been putting chemicals in the beer and the hotdogs, as well as adding subliminal messages within the barrage of advertisements at the stadium, in order to create this mass addiction. Its gotta be, right? It certainly aint the results!:D

This might be true, but I have been a fan for over 40 years so it is already in my blood. :D

I will say this though.

The only thing that does take away my pleasure in being a Redskins fan is Dan Snyder.

Archived