Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Quarterback Play

Annonymous Source

He fumbled and threw an INT

His fumble wasn't returned for a TD and his INT was on a tipped ball, not a poor throw to a covered Moss when he was 3 yards past the line of scrimmage.

Again, I don't think Campbell played awful, he was actually averaging over 12 yards per completion, but his mistakes were bigger than Eli's. That plus the Randle El debacle and the playcalling, and it was pretty easy pickings.

They went up 20 points in garbage time

Thats Our Audible to a run on 3/8 "I Don't want the ball in crunchtime", Can't step up in the pocket and fumbles the game away, Franchise Cost but Mediocre Deliverables, Leaderless, Crying, has to get the BU QB to explain things, clipboard carrying in the playoffs, losing record, 5 year rookie

What a meaningful contribution to the discussion. Unless anyone wants to come out and make the claim that Eli is a terrible QB then dont bash on Campbell. Their performances that game were both at roughly the same level.

I actually think that Campbell did better because he got no support from the running game.

Everybody is really upset because of the very boneheaded things that he did, but in terms of actual performance the results and the method were very similar.

If you would like to debate any of the above points than feel free.

What a meaningful contribution to the discussion. Unless anyone wants to come out and make the claim that Eli is a terrible QB then dont bash on Campbell. Their performances that game were both at roughly the same level.

I actually think that Campbell did better because he got no support from the running game.

Everybody is really upset because of the very boneheaded things that he did, but in terms of actual performance the results and the method were very similar.

While I don't necessarily agree that Campell played better, that is a valid point.

The Giants got 106 yards from their running backs...we got 61. And we ran at the worst possible time. God that playcalling was awful. That's the one part of the game I seriously cannot get past. Zorn looked like he was deliberately trying to prove a point or something instead of playing to the Giants' weaknesses.

His fumble wasn't returned for a TD and his INT was on a tipped ball, not a poor throw to a covered Moss when he was 3 yards past the line of scrimmage.

Again, I don't think Campbell played awful, he was actually averaging over 12 yards per completion, but his mistakes were bigger than Eli's. That plus the Randle El debacle and the playcalling, and it was pretty easy pickings.

Well except for the ridiculous interception (which is the football equivalent of being on the darwin awards) I will disagree with you.

The fumbles were both identical in terms of negligence. You are also shunting aside the fact that the tipped ball was a innacurate pass thrown into double coverage.

It's not an observation at all because everything in reality shows that it wasn't a prevent defense and they weren't soft.

You're arguing that black is white right now.

Here's something black and white...There are a lot of media reports that is was prevent.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/254124-redskins-underwhelm-giants

"The offense only scored seven points and that was in hurry up mode with the Giants in a prevent defense."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/sep/13/opening-day-dud-redskins/

"Even though the Redskins' defense played far from winning football, struggling on third down and in the secondary, the offense produced another opening-day dud, managing only six plays of 10 or more yards before Chris Cooley's 17-yard touchdown catch that capped a late-game drive against the Giants' prevent defense."

Well except for the ridiculous interception (which is the football equivalent of being on the darwin awards) I will disagree with you.

The fumbles were both identical in terms of negligence. You are also shunting aside the fact that the tipped ball was a innacurate pass thrown into double coverage.

Woah...that pass was actually to an open receiver; Hall was beat badly on that play. Landry's incredible athleticism got him there in time, but even Hall admitted he was beaten badly on that play.

I will agree that the fumbles were both due to negligence, but it doesn't really change the fact that one led to a quick touchdown.

While I don't necessarily agree that Campell played better, that is a valid point.

The Giants got 106 yards from their running backs...we got 61. And we ran at the worst possible time. God that playcalling was awful. That's the one part of the game I seriously cannot get past. Zorn looked like he was deliberately trying to prove a point or something instead of playing to the Giants' weaknesses.

If I see one more power over left guard I will start breaking things around my house at random. The only antidote for this behavior will be to see a run to the left actually produce yards like the first carry.

..... Everybody is really upset because of the very boneheaded things that he did, but in terms of actual performance the results and the method were very similar......
So you think that JC = Eli?

or

JC = Eli in ONE GAME

When you answer this question you can answer another one

Eli has proven himself CLUTCH in MULTIPLE GAMES over and EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME

Feel free to to show JC in the same light

One game does not create a QBs reputation.....5 years of excuses does

Woah...that pass was actually to an open receiver; Hall was beat badly on that play. Landry's incredible athleticism got him there in time, but even Hall admitted he was beaten badly on that play.

I will agree that the fumbles were both due to negligence, but it doesn't really change the fact that one led to a quick touchdown.

You may be right. I only saw the game once, and that was as much as I could stand. I was just working from memory.

Thank you for the correction.

Well anyways, to play devils advocate, if Campbell has almost as good a year as Eli what does that mean in terms of us resigning him? Their stats were fairly even, and Eli is apparently worth 100 Mil to the Giants.

...JC = Eli in ONE GAME

One game does not create a QBs reputation.....5 years of excuses does

That is a very good point. And at this point in time Eli is certainly the superior NFL product, but the simple fact is that the Redskins get into trouble more often than not based on REPUTATION.

My only point is that everyone wants to jump on Campbell for a terrible game when in fact he and Eli had very similar statistical performances. Anything done to deny this reality is simply making excuses against Campbell.

How is "he doesnt get enough protection from his line" any different from "he only produced against a prevent defense". The answer is that there is no difference. Both points are excuses. He only did bad because of the offensive line or he only did good because of the coverage scheme does not change the fact that he was the person achieving those results.

You may be right. I only saw the game once, and that was as much as I could stand. I was just working from memory.

Thank you for the correction.

Well anyways, to play devils advocate, if Campbell has almost as good a year as Eli what does that mean in terms of us resigning him? Their stats were fairly even, and Eli is apparently worth 100 Mil to the Giants.

If Campbell goes 289/479 for 3,238 yards, 21 TDs and 10 INTs, and we win the NFC East and get to the divisional round of the playoffs, I think you'd have to legitimately look at resigning him, especially given that we have two young offensive weapons up and coming.

However, if he hits his numbers from last year:

315/506 for 3,245 yards, 13 TDS and 6 INTs...well, that's just not quite good enough. Not for the team that we have. If he was playing for the Vikings, maybe. Not the 'Skins though.

If Campbell goes 289/479 for 3,238 yards, 21 TDs and 10 INTs, and we win the NFC East and get to the divisional round of the playoffs, I think you'd have to legitimately look at resigning him, especially given that we have two young offensive weapons up and coming.

However, if he hits his numbers from last year:

315/506 for 3,245 yards, 13 TDS and 6 INTs...well, that's just not quite good enough. Not for the team that we have. If he was playing for the Vikings, maybe. Not the 'Skins though.

Fair enough. We just have different opinions from this point on. You have made many very interesting points. I think everyone agrees that he needs to improve on his results from last year, and to do that I personally feel that the main factor that needs to change is playcalling. From watching him play, he is at his best when he is in a rythym. The more he throws the better he becomes (sort of like what people say about running backs).

.......My only point is that everyone wants to jump on Campbell for a terrible game when in fact he and Eli had very similar statistical performances.......
Statistics are about the same...I do not deny that

Why don't you take a poll to find out how many people would prefer ELI as our QB

Was Leadership measured?.....Inspiration?.....Guts?.......Responsibilities?

How the QB effected OTHER peoples performances?

Eli > JC

Fair enough. We just have different opinions from this point on. You have made many very interesting points. I think everyone agrees that he needs to improve on his results from last year, and to do that I personally feel that the main factor that needs to change is playcalling. From watching him play, he is at his best when he is in a rythym. The more he throws the better he becomes (sort of like what people say about running backs).

I agree with the highlighted portions emphatically.

Statistics are about the same...I do not deny that

Why don't you take a poll to find out how many people would prefer ELI as our QB

Was Leadership measured?.....Inspiration?.....Guts?.......Responsibilities?

How the QB effected OTHER peoples performances?

Eli > JC

I never have said that JC is better than Eli, and actually said that at this point in time Eli is the better QB. Nor is this an excuse for JC's mistakes. It is an attempt to put the ups and downs of NFL QB's in perspective.

In QB rating Campbell finished 10th and Eli finished 11th. In yards Campbell finished 16th, Eli finished 11th. In completion % Campbell finished 4th and Eli finished 7th.

Those are all facts. They will all change by next week.

What will not change is the fact that people will continue to shout for the demotion of a QB simply because they already made up their minds months or years ago and havent reassesed the situation since.

One qb sports a winning career record, multiple playoff seasons, a Lombardi Trophy and multiple 20+ td seasons while the other is hanging by a thread to keep his damn job and you think one freaking similar game somehow makes them EQUAL? If JC's resume was even remotely close to that of Eli his performance Sunday would be a lot easier to digest and not nearly as scrutinized as it has been.

Archived