Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did the Titans D look familiar last night?

jrockster21

So I'm watching the opener last night, and its late in the game. Tennessee decides to only rush four for the majority of the second half, deciding to drop 7 back and defend the pass. Every time the ball was snapped (with the exception of when the Titans blitzed), Big Ben casually stood back in the pocket, and had 5-6 seconds to find an open receiver, and pick apart the Titans secondary. Why? His pocket never collapsed, cause the Titans had no Haynesworth destroying the middle of the OLine.

Strong DBs, pretty good LBs, and pass-rushing DEs, and no push up the middle to collapse the pocket. It was like I was watching the Redskins last year, total de-ja-vu. Anyone else get the same feeling?

This is what Haynesworth brings to our defense. This is what we can expect this season, for as long as Big Al is on the field (furiously knocking on wood). Ladies and gentlemen, we're going to see a LOT of QBs on their backs this season, and its going to be fantastic. :)

that bend dont break zone that ten was playing at the end of the game was a joke. roflsburger ate it up and then some.

big ben is crazy. the guy is joe mediocre for 3.9 quarters of football, then all the sudden with the game on the line, he ALWAYS comes through. its seriously insane. he led the drive where ward screwed them, then came back in OT and did it AGAIN. i mean its insane.

hes gotta be the most clutch QB in sports. yes moreso than brady or manning. both guys are better than he is throughout a game, but if youre down and need points or a comeback, big ben is king.

While I understand your point, the Titan still did record 4 sacks last night, which would put them on pace for 64 on the season. Obviously an unreasonable total, but still, the Skins didn't get much pressure at all last year, while the Titans are still getting it even without Haynesworth. They just run a more agressive scheme.

well... i have a problem with this

the titans looked great on defense up until they (imo stupidly) decided to play prevent defense. i think the steelers had less than 10 yards rushing at half - a team that is determined to run first most of the time. thats pretty damn good.

in fact, the steelers only successfully moved the ball once (the TD drive) when the the titans weren't playing prevent defense.

which actually... is the defense the skins play all the time at the end of the game. so if anything, it upset me that it was clear as day that the prevent defense does not work but in certain situations (20 seconds to go, down by more than 3, and the other teams needs to go 80 yards for a TD with no time outs). yet we'll probably use it a lot near the end of the games. (i hope not...)

It was the first game and the D line was gassed. Albert would have been as well. Haye and Cook looked really good alomost looked like they didn't miss Al one bit.

Wow...you're totally right, how could I miss that? I mean, its not like they've had 6 weeks of training camp and preseason to get in shape or anything. :doh:

While I understand your point, the Titan still did record 4 sacks last night, which would put them on pace for 64 on the season. Obviously an unreasonable total, but still, the Skins didn't get much pressure at all last year, while the Titans are still getting it even without Haynesworth. They just run a more agressive scheme.

The only sacks (save one maybe?) they got were on blitzes, or when they had a coverage sack, as Big Ben held the ball for 6 seconds - I'm talking pressure on the QB. Yes, they blitzed better than we did last night, but come on, you get my drift. :silly:

Difference is they SACKED Roethlisberger 4 times, and had 2 Int's WITHOUT Haynesworth, that one game would have represented a significant amount of our seasonal total. But I do believe Albert will make an undeniable positive impact

We sacked Steeler QBs 5 times and picked them off once (should have been twice, but Carlos dropped a sure TD) last year without Haynesworth. What is your point?

What are you talking about OP, they pressured Ben the whole night and stuffed the run...

The whole night? Are you effing serious? You must have only watched the Sportscenter highlights with an asinine comment like that. Big Ben sat in the pocket for 5-6 seconds most of the second half, and picked the Titans apart. He got sacked 4 times on blitzes, once on a coverage sack, cause the OLine can only hold the DLine back for so long.

The whole night? Are you effing serious? You must have only watched the Sportscenter highlights with an asinine comment like that. Big Ben sat in the pocket for 5-6 seconds most of the second half, and picked the Titans apart. He got sacked 4 times on blitzes, once on a coverage sack, cause the OLine can only hold the DLine back for so long.

He was moving around a lot extending the play, the titans dline looked elite

I'm sorry but Haye and their rotaion was collapsing the pocket. I don't know what your expecting from Haynsworth but if he does the job the Titans DTs did last night we will be fine. The first half of the game they were lights out untill Pitt went no huddle and put ben in the Gun and spread the D out on that last drive.

ben completed 33 passess ...that has to be close to an nfl record.

Not even close. The NFL record is by Drew Bledsoe, with 45 completions in a game against the Vikings in 1994 -- also an OT game.

I'm afraid some of y'all just don't understand defense. You just can't play press coverage and blitz all the time against NFL spread offenses. You might make some plays, but you're gonna get killed by big plays. Most of the rules favor the offense, and that 5-yard zone where you can jam a receiver is a small margin for error. When your defenders are gassed at the end of a game, it's suicide to press and blitz. If you don't get to the QB in two seconds, you're dead. One of the best examples I can think of is the TD to Santana Moss at the end of the New Orleans game last year. The Saints blitzed and tried to press Moss. He ran right by the corner, who didn't get any safety help. THAT'S why defenses tend to get a little conservative in crunch time. Statistics and precedent show that you are more likely to seal a win by forcing the offense to methodically drive down the field, eating up time on the clock, rather than going for broke. It's just that when a team completes a game-winning drive, it's newsworthy. You just don't see highlights of unsuccessful game-ending drives, so the typical result isn't reported.

When corners play off the ball, they can keep receivers in front of them and break on the pass. Plus, you can disguise whether you are playing man or zone coverage. The Steelers did it as much as the Titans. Good defenses mix up their coverages and disguise them. Backed off coverage is just one way to mix things up. Get over it!

So I'm watching the opener last night, and its late in the game. Tennessee decides to only rush four for the majority of the second half, deciding to drop 7 back and defend the pass. Every time the ball was snapped (with the exception of when the Titans blitzed), Big Ben casually stood back in the pocket, and had 5-6 seconds to find an open receiver, and pick apart the Titans secondary. Why? His pocket never collapsed, cause the Titans had no Haynesworth destroying the middle of the OLine.

Strong DBs, pretty good LBs, and pass-rushing DEs, and no push up the middle to collapse the pocket. It was like I was watching the Redskins last year, total de-ja-vu. Anyone else get the same feeling?

This is what Haynesworth brings to our defense. This is what we can expect this season, for as long as Big Al is on the field (furiously knocking on wood). Ladies and gentlemen, we're going to see a LOT of QBs on their backs this season, and its going to be fantastic. :)

Uhhh...I'd love to agree with you, but you are WAY OFF! The Titans had 4 sacks last night. Count them...FOUR SACKS! When is the last time the 'Skins had four sacks in one game? We are not talking pre-season either...real gametime. That is why there is no way that the Titans D can remind us of our Defense, it's a terrible comparision to say the least.

Hopefully, after this season we can have the success of putting consistent pressure on QB's because only good stuff will come from it.

ben only had 5-6 seconds in the pocket when the titans played prevent defense...

Archived