Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FOX News: No thumbprint, no check cashing, bank told armless man

MisterPinstripe

A non client can cash a check drawn off that bank. However most of the time banks will not cash checks by non clients for checks not drawn off that bank. So whether or not he was the husband makes no difference.

The check was from his wife, who has an account at Bank of America, so it was drawn from that bank, apparently.

Have similar story. My son who is 5 got some checks for his birthday from out of town relatives. So I go to my bank to cash them and they want him to sign them. I tell them, he's 5 he can't. They tell me they can't do anything unless he signs them.

So I go get him from the car where my wife is waiting and I tell him he needs to sign the checks. He ends up putting some chicken scratch on the check, and the teller tells me that that isn't going to fly.

I tell her, well you were the one who wanted my 5 year old to sign the checks. Now what??

She tells me that they can't cash those now. I tell her that she is going to since she wanted my 5 year old to sign them.

She calls over the manager who looks at the signed checks and my son and tells me what happened. I tell them they wanted my son to sign them. So he did.

We go round for round, I finally say, look, you wanted him to sign them even though I told you he was 5 and couldn't and now that he has you won't. You will have me sign them and than you will cash them or I will take my biz else where.

They end up cashing them, but end up telling me to tell family not to give checks to 5 year olds as gifts.. LMAO

To which I replied, don't have stupid rules like this and I won't have to. With stories like these, it's no wonder why the banks ran aground.

This is why I dont walk into banks. I just deposit everything through the ATM. The banks do have protocols and if they had not ran across this type of situation before, they really may not have had a way to deal with it based on their protocols. Yes they are ridiculous hoops to jump through but they help bank employees cover their butts. Of course any person could tell this is a messed up situation but protocols at banks do not allow for personal judgment to waive requirements. Like I said it helps employees cover their butts to not use personal judgment. Banks will fire you for slip ups like breaking protocol when cashing a check.

Archived