Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FOX News: No thumbprint, no check cashing, bank told armless man

MisterPinstripe

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,545560,00.html?loomia_ow=t0:s0:a16:g2:r4:c0.058795:b27486676:z0

Wow... Incredible idiocy.

TAMPA, Fla. — A Florida man born without arms says a Tampa bank would not let him cash a check because he couldn't provide a thumbprint.

It was supposed to be a quick stop at the Bank of America.

"I said, 'I'm going to run over downtown on my break, cash the check and bring the cash back.' No big deal," Steve Valdez said. "It turned out to be a very big deal."

Valdez said he was cashing a check from his wife, who has an account at Bank of America. But the teller told Valdez she needed a thumbprint in order to cash it — it was company policy.

Thats cold blooded...... "Im sorry sir, we are going to need a finger pri... Oh... ok, in that case we will be unable to process your transaction. Come back when you obtain the propor means of identification, thank you and have a good day. "

My normal rule is that in 99% of these cases, things are not as ridiculous as they seem. Classic example: McDonald's coffee lawsuit.

The exception that proves the rule which I normally mention is the dry cleaner/pants/judge lawsuit, but this may well be number 2.

It's hard to imagine what these people were thinking. Perhaps they are afraid to set a precedent that will allow scammers to cash bad checks, solely because they cut off their own arms first?

I don't think this is really Bank of America's fault, though. It sounds more like an issue with inflexible underlings caught in a beauracracy. It's kind of on the level with the guy that Social Security thinks is dead, and when he tells them he's alive, they demand proof.

What the article failed to tell was whether he was cashing a Bank of America check or not. Reading the protocol they went through I am about 90% sure it wasn't.

In those cases the teller was right to refuse to cash the check (although if what he is claiming is true then she shouldn't have acted that way), but regardless if he's cashing a check not drawn on that bank and he is not the account owner you can't cash it or you have to go through a process to verify their identity. I work at a bank trust me these sob stories happen all the time. We don't require a fingerprint, but most of the time we have to refuse cashing the check.

Instead of having some knee jerk reaction to the article, investigate it and learn a little about how a bank operates.

I read an article that said it was a check from his wife's account with BofA and he'd cashed them before. They told him this time for some reason that they would only cash it if he opened an account or if his wife came in. Apparently his wife couldn't drop what she was doing and they had hardly provided any motivation for opening an account with them (that's actually pretty ballzy to even suggest at that point) so...

Also when did banks start requiring a thumb print to cash a check?

If you go into a bank where you don't have an account and want to cash a check, in my experience, they need a thumb print.

I'm not sure what the rules are for known spouses of someone with an account, though.

What the article failed to tell was whether he was cashing a Bank of America check or not. Reading the protocol they went through I am about 90% sure it wasn't.

In those cases the teller was right to refuse to cash the check (although if what he is claiming is true then she shouldn't have acted that way), but regardless if he's cashing a check not drawn on that bank and he is not the account owner you can't cash it or you have to go through a process to verify their identity. I work at a bank trust me these sob stories happen all the time. We don't require a fingerprint, but most of the time we have to refuse cashing the check.

Instead of having some knee jerk reaction to the article, investigate it and learn a little about how a bank operates.

Sorta OT question for ya

I had my bank refuse to Deposit:doh: a two party check w/o the other party's signature being verified by his bank.

I had to have the president of that company(who endorsed it originally) take the friggin check to his bank and have it stamped verified THEN deposit it in my account.

Have you ever heard of such???

I could understand a hold or something ,but that was BS.

Sorta OT question for ya

I had my bank refuse to Deposit:doh: a two party check w/o the other party's signature being verified by his bank.

I had to have the president of that company(who endorsed it originally) take the friggin check to his bank and have it stamped verified THEN deposit it in my account.

Have you ever heard of such???

I could understand a hold or something ,but that was BS.

Let me clarify.

Your president wrote you a check off of his bank and gave it to you to deposit into your account at a different bank? And then they would not cash the check because his signature was not "verified"? What was the amount of the check and the two banks involved? I would probably be able to respond with a better explanation.

Could the bank physically not cash the check? Meaning, the system won't allow them to proceed unless they a thumb print or are they just now willing to ignore the rule.

Also when did banks start requiring a thumb print to cash a check?

A non client can cash a check drawn off that bank. However most of the time banks will not cash checks by non clients for checks not drawn off that bank. So whether or not he was the husband makes no difference. The banks have to go through their policies and procedures although I've never heard of a thumb print being required, I suppose Bank of America requires one.

Archived