Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WEx: Chalk talk: The fade route

darrelgreenie

First of all, even if Malcolm Kelly caught that it wouldn't have counted.

Second of all, a stillshot can be very deceiving. Watch the play again on video and you'll see that the ball is actually being thrown to his INSIDE shoulder and Malcolm Kelly had to reposition himself despite being originally on the outside and stretch back while the cornerback overruns him.

It was a ****ty throw and if Malcolm Kelly caught it, that would have been a spectacular non-TD reception.

It wasn't ****ty throw by any means, though it wasn't perfect, and Kelly should've come down with it because he's Malcolm Kelly and that's what he does.

As for it "not counting", who cares? You complete the play as though it will count until you hear the whistle. Was Kelly supposed to just see the flag and stop? No. Completely wrong "point" that you had there.

It wasn't ****ty throw by any means, though it wasn't perfect, and Kelly should've come down with it because he's Malcolm Kelly and that's what he does.

As for it "not counting", who cares? You complete the play as though it will count until you hear the whistle. Was Kelly supposed to just see the flag and stop? No. Completely wrong "point" that you had there.

Why are we trying to force Malcolm Kelly to make ridiculous acrobatic catches and saying he should have come down with it, when the goal could have been accomplished in an easier and simpler manner by throwing a routine fade throw? No receiver regularly makes Tony Hawk-esque 270 spins reaching back while momentum carries him the other way.

Read the thread or watch the video. If Malcolm Kelly turns his shoulders, he probably had some training from Jackie Chan.

People need to go to Jackie Chan school to be able to jump in the air and do a 180 spin.

Here I'll do it now..................

I just did it.........

It's not that hard.

Sigh. While not a ****ty throw,it wasn't exactly a nice one either. Same can be said for Kelly's performance on the play as well. Coach Z even said it himself. No biggie right now. As I stated earlier,look forward to seeing these guys improve on this as the season progresses.

People need to go to Jackie Chan school to be able to jump in the air and do a 180 spin.

Here I'll do it now..................

I just did it.........

It's not that hard.

He's running to the outside. He's expecting the ball to the outside. He's expecting that he's going to have to jump up and get the ball at a point higher than the defender can reach. Then suddenly at the last moment he realizes the ball is coming low and to the inside.

Let's see how many times you can run one way and spin back the other way and catch the ball.

He's running to the outside. He's expecting the ball to the outside. He's expecting that he's going to have to jump up and get the ball at a point higher than the defender can reach. Then suddenly at the last moment he realizes the ball is coming low and to the inside.

Let's see how many times you can run one way and spin back the other way and catch the ball.

It's a fade route. The WR is ALWAYS turned to the inside on a fade route. ALWAYS. Although the ball was a little low, it was still very catchable. He just had to get his shoulders turned around, I see WRs do it all the time.

A Calvin Johnson tutorial...

Kelly definitely should have been able to pull that one in, but the picture is kind of misleading. Sure, the ball was on his shoulder. But Kelly had to slow down in order for it to get there. It was an okay pass, but could have been better

It's a fade route. The WR is ALWAYS turned to the inside on a fade route. ALWAYS. Although the ball was a little low, it was still very catchable. He just had to get his shoulders turned around, I see WRs do it all the time.

A Calvin Johnson tutorial...

Watch your own video and watch where the ball is thrown. On the outside. That's why it's called a fade. Malcolm Kelly had to REACH BACK ONE WAY while spinning and going the OTHER WAY. Jason Campbell threw it poorly on both the X and Y axis, Jim Zorn said it was a poor throw, and if you would watch the damn play on video instead of staring at a stillshot, you'd realize it was a very low percentage play for Malcolm Kelly.

does anyone notice how much higher the ball is on the mitchell throw than on the kelly throw? mitchells hands are extending completely in the air, while kellys pass is merely right at his shoulder pads.

i still say the ball should have been higher.

Kelly definitely should have been able to pull that one in, but the picture is kind of misleading. Sure, the ball was on his shoulder. But Kelly had to slow down in order for it to get there. It was an okay pass, but could have been better

Exactly.

It wasn't executed well by either JC or MK. It could have been a much better ball, but MK still could have caught it.

Once these two do get on the same page though, it will be tough for defenses to defend.

Watch your own video and watch where the ball is thrown. On the outside. That's why it's called a fade. Malcolm Kelly had to REACH BACK ONE WAY while spinning and going the OTHER WAY. Jason Campbell threw it poorly on both the X and Y axis, Jim Zorn said it was a poor throw, and if you would watch the damn play on video instead of staring at a stillshot, you'd realize it was a very low percentage play for Malcolm Kelly.

no one seems to be conceding the fact that zorn himself said the throw wasnt very good.

I've watched the video, and I've watched the play.

Do you not see Calvin Johnson adjusting his body to get the ball when it's thrown slightly behind him?

It's the WRs job to make the adjustment and go get the ball.

Umm a fade rout is something that is used when not close to the endzone.

But a LOB pass is something used when close to the endzone to taller receivers

JC hasnt had tall receivers in the past to throw to, and i seriously doubt they practiced the LOB pass at all until this year. So JC isnt consistent with the LOB at all

I dont agree with that assessment at all. The pass was well thrown (not perfect) and catchable. The main problem I see here is that Kelly did not get his hips turned before jumping for the ball. Had he been facing forward at that moment, it most likley would have been six points.

EXACTLY!!! Kelly made a really bad mistake here. It could be chalked up as a rookie mistake only he's not a rookie anymore. I hope he gets it in film session so he realizes that he needs to work harder near the pay dirt. This was as simple as turning your body and attacking the ball.

I've watched the video, and I've watched the play.

Do you not see Calvin Johnson adjusting his body to get the ball when it's thrown slightly behind him?

It's the WRs job to make the adjustment and go get the ball.

This is why you have a massive disconnect about this play. Not only do you put disproportionate accountability on the wrong player, but you can't even objectively view a simple video on Youtube, nor do you really understand what a fade route is. A fade route is up and outside, hence "FADE".

Now watch the video again and see which way is Calvin Johnson going while he's in the air? Up and floating to the outside. Now which way are you insinuating that Malcolm Kelly should be going?

I disagree. I played in a WCO in college and we were taught that if the corner was even or on top of the WR, the QB was to throw it to the back shoulder. MK simply had to make an adjustment and catch the ball. He kept his shoulders square up field INSTEAD of locating the ball as CJ said in the video and adjusting to the pass.

The potential of this play is ENORMOUS, imagine lining up Kelly at SE, Mitchell at flanker, Cooley TE, Your choice of Moss/ARE in slot or Fred Davis as a 2nd TE, with either Portis or Mason in the backfield.

Compressed space offense, with option and ability to maybe I dont know double pass, a throw back, straight up fade route, bunch patterns, the Zorn draw, flanker screen, TE screen, HB screen, multiple playaction looks, and just plain ole stuff it up the gut run

By incorporating just this facet of our game and honing it, we will now be blessed with an abundance of riches concerning our options in the red zone.

Putting the pressure BACK on the defense again!!

Boys I love the potential

Archived