Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We have some talent on this team

gobigred

I have to say I think this is the most loaded team we have had in years. I am just kind of suprised by the talent. I would not want to be Jim Zorn and his staff. I would like to see us keep Mason, he could be our Derrick Ward, good change of pace guy. The other running back I forgot his name # 39, where did he come from he looked damn good. Markco Mitchell, I believe next year he is going to take somebodies starting job, he has it if you know what I mean, Chase Daniels, if his size does not hold him down, he understands the offense his foot work looks great, Colt should be nervous Chase has it to, I am just so excited about this season. I don't think anybody will see us coming. How do you feel about our talent? I see Jason going to the Pro bowl this year, offense to loaded

Mason isn't a change of pace back. But I really like him. He's just like Portis. Hard runner who blocks like hell and isn't going to blow it on the goal line.

He needs to be Portis' backup, not Betts. Betts has fantastic hands, but he is a mediocre runner who can't score a TD to save his life, and gives up costly fumbles at awful times.

Ideally, we'd find a speedy back to compliment Portis, but Mason isn't a bad option.

We do have a lot of talent....but one huge thing could absolutely bite us in the ass: The offensive line.

It doesn't matter how good your wrs are.

It doesn't matter how good your running back is, as we have seen over the last four years.

And for the most part, it doesn't matter how good your QB is, if he is on the way to the hospital.

This offense has been built backwards.

The o-line is easily the most important position on the offensive side of the ball, and if it is your weakest unit, you are dead meat.

Some will say that we looked good enough against the Pats in the first half of limited play this weekend.

Great. That means nothing.

The first half, the first game, the first four games aren't the major problem.

How are these guys going to hold up in games 8-16? That is the problem.

We built the offense in the wrong order. The correct order:

1. O-line

2-7 everything else.

we do have a lot of talent....but one huge thing could absolutely bite us in the ass: The offensive line.

It doesn't matter how good your wrs are.

It doesn't matter how good your running back is, as we have seen over the last four years.

And for the most part, it doesn't matter how good your qb is, if he is on the way to the hospital.

This offense has been built backwards.

The o-line is easily the most important position on the offensive side of the ball, and if it is your weakest unit, you are dead meat.

Some will say that we looked good enough against the pats in the first half of limited play this weekend.

Great. That means nothing.

The first half, the first game, the first four games aren't the major problem.

How are these guys going to hold up in games 8-16? That is the problem.

We built the offense in the wrong order. The correct order:

1. O-line

2-7 everything else.

qft +1

Nah. There is no "order." You have to take the BPA that fits your scheme in whatever order they come. Vinny has it right.

And how many Super Bowls have we won lately? just kidding look at the Steelers!! But at the very least, we need an Oline that'll hold up for the ENTIRE season.

Our O-line is old and will be worn down by the middle of the season, that is our biggest problem. We know we have talent all over, but VC and DS don't believe in building an O-line.

This boggles my mind

Not true. In Vinny's defense, last year was his first draft. And in fact, he did draft Rinehart in the 3rd round, correct? This years draft wasn't full of good OL. After Barnes was drafted in the 3rd round in this years draft, the next OL didn't get drafted until the 5th round. Zorn even said that they liked the younger guys that they already had.

We do have talent and some decent depth. I think we tend over-rate our players a bit, but I do think we have a solid depth.

This team is capable of 10-11 wins if it had a good QB. And I still don't think we had it. JC looked better the last game. But that should been standard issue performance for a guy in his position, not something consider "amazing" or "breakout." He has to put up that kind of game every week as a baseline with flashes of even better play.

But as it is the most recent game, it was promising game from the team in my book. The promise of which will be gone unless it is not duplicated week 1.

Vinny has it right?

Wow,....

I actually think Vinny and the scouts have done a great job in the draft. When was our last egregious 1st round miss? We've gotten value in the later rounds and undrafted FA in Marko Mitchell, Stephon Heyer, Kedric Golston, Anthony Montgomery, HB blades, Kareem Moore, and Chris Horton.

Our main failures have been in trading away draft picks, especially for older players, and in evaluating NFL FA like Archueleta and Brandon Lloyd.

I'd also like to see us spend more late round picks on OL and less on LB, but we did need LB this year, so it is more the trend that bothers me.

I do think this team is close to being a contender. We're probably 3 offensive lineman, a RB, and a LB away from being very good. That's not an unreasonable offseason shopping list.

Not true. In Vinny's defense, last year was his first draft. And in fact, he did draft Rinehart in the 3rd round, correct? This years draft wasn't full of good OL. After Barnes was drafted in the 3rd round in this years draft, the next OL didn't get drafted until the 5th round. Zorn even said that they liked the younger guys that they already had.

I can't say we drafted bad last year or this past year, but there were plenty of good OL drafted this past year, from round 1 to 7.

Nah. There is no "order." You have to take the BPA that fits your scheme in whatever order they come. Vinny has it right.

Bill Parcells, I, and most successful NFL coaches would disagree strongly.

Without the o-line being the strength of your offense, 18-0 perfect seasons become 18-1 when you can't keep a rush at bay.

Without the o-line being the strength of your offense, WRs don't have time to run long routes. Without that o-line, you have no scheme.

Without the o-line being the strength of your offense, some teams are completely unable to even run to the right side of the field. Thereby crippling 50% of their running attack.

And without that strong o-line, your qb, even if it is Tom Brady, is at great peril to end up in an ambulance.

It is why Parcells used 6 of 9 draft players on linemen.

Those 6 weren't BPA. Far from it. And he had other, extremely glaring needs. They didn't even have a WR on that team.

12 mths later, they are a solid team--and in the playoffs.

And it is why next season, in a draft heavily weighted with extremely talented QBs.....the Redskins will be addressing the right side of the O-line.

Not because the O-linemen will be BPA. But because of need.

As it should be. It is just a shame that this wasn't apparent to the FO years ago.

I actually think Vinny and the scouts have done a great job in the draft. When was our last egregious 1st round miss? We've gotten value in the later rounds and undrafted FA in Marko Mitchell, Stephon Heyer, Kedric Golston, Anthony Montgomery, HB blades, Kareem Moore, and Chris Horton.

Our main failures have been in trading away draft picks, especially for older players, and in evaluating NFL FA like Archueleta and Brandon Lloyd.

I'd also like to see us spend more late round picks on OL and less on LB, but we did need LB this year, so it is more the trend that bothers me.

I do think this team is close to being a contender. We're probably 3 offensive lineman, a RB, and a LB away from being very good. That's not an unreasonable offseason shopping list.

Right on the same path with your thought process. I think that we are one season out from our very very very long rebuilding process being over. Though I still think Vinny should go, I do think we may be one off season away from having a legitimate contender for several years. As long as JC proves to be our franchise QB, I believe we're set. We'll need a replacemnt for CP unfortunately, and help on the line. Defensively a middle linebacker and outside linebacker. If the depth in our secondary prove to be dependable then this team should be just about complete after one more off season.

We do have talent and some decent depth. I think we tend over-rate our players a bit, but I do think we have a solid depth.

This team is capable of 10-11 wins if it had a good QB. And I still don't think we had it. JC looked better the last game. But that should been standard issue performance for a guy in his position, not something consider "amazing" or "breakout." He has to put up that kind of game every week as a baseline with flashes of even better play.

But as it is the most recent game, it was promising game from the team in my book. The promise of which will be gone unless it is not duplicated week 1.

agreed.

the starting talent on this team is close to top notch, its our depth that terrifies me. depth everywhere is pretty scary, especially on the oline. if one of our starters goes down were gonna struggle.

and the penalties neeeeeed to get under control.

I agree I was one who said our line is what really cost us last year but I think we have a good group of YOUNG guys. If Randy Thomas was not a vet I could see Reinhart starting guard right now. I am a lot more hopeful this year then I was last year regarding our line.

Indeed, this team is stacked. It's tough to find an area where we're not top 5 in the league. It's a no-brainer that we'll get off to a strong start, but the real benefits will show in November, when our depth and raw talent will help us pull away from the rest of the NFC.

We do have a lot of talent....but one huge thing could absolutely bite us in the ass: The offensive line.

I agree....though, d-line is just as important.

My concern is depth on the o-line, especially at tackle.

I'm worried about CS's knee.

Indeed, this team is stacked. It's tough to find an area where we're not top 5 in the league. It's a no-brainer that we'll get off to a strong start, but the real benefits will show in November, when our depth and raw talent will help us pull away from the rest of the NFC.

um, no.

we dont have a top 5 oline

we dont have a top 5 QB

we dont have a top 5 LB corp

we dont have a top 5 WR corp

cmon man. weve got good players but youre going overboard with that comment.

From what I can see, Vinny Cerrato and his scouting dept. have made the defensive line a top priority this offseason and they have seriously upgraded it. Also, by bringing Dockery back and moving Heyer into Jansen's spot, they've addressed 40% of the offensive line as well. Give this line a chance to gel and see what they can do. Hopefully Reinhart, Mike Williams, or somebody else (Bridges?) will be able to step up and help out with depth.

Rome wasn't built in one offseason and I can't really see what more they could have done in one year. Adding Haynesworth, Orapko, Dockery, Jeremy Jarmon and getting back Phillip Daniels is seriously addressing both lines, especially financially.

Ultimately, Vinnie may be judged on the 3 early picks from the 2008 draft, none of whom look like they're ready to really step up and turn heads any time soon. I hope I'm wrong.

I have to say I think this is the most loaded team we have had in years. I am just kind of suprised by the talent. I would not want to be Jim Zorn and his staff. I would like to see us keep Mason, he could be our Derrick Ward, good change of pace guy. The other running back I forgot his name # 39, where did he come from he looked damn good. Markco Mitchell, I believe next year he is going to take somebodies starting job, he has it if you know what I mean, Chase Daniels, if his size does not hold him down, he understands the offense his foot work looks great, Colt should be nervous Chase has it to, I am just so excited about this season. I don't think anybody will see us coming. How do you feel about our talent? I see Jason going to the Pro bowl this year, offense to loaded

How many players made the pro bowl last year and year before? 2 out of 53 i would say we have average NFL caliber players

Archived