Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vick to the Eagles

YoCoLifSavr

i agree with the "he's paid his dues" argument, that he deserves the same rights and freedoms as any other American, but playing in the NFL is a privilege, not a right. he certainly finished his sentence, but let's not act like he "made a mistake" and paid for it. a fatal car crash is an (awful) accident; nothing Vick did was accidental, and it was all atrocious and indicative of a terrible, immoral, fundamentally BAD person.

the fact that the Eagles are willing to have that kind of person in their organization is very telling. obviously they want very badly to succeed, and they have absolutely no ethical or moral qualms about how they get there.

+1 very true indeed. I do think he has still a LOT to do to redeem himself, because I think deep down inside he is a bad person. Sorry I can't forget that he used to hang dogs from trees, drowned them, and even electrocuted them. You got to be a really bad person to do that, what he did was so horrible that it makes his path to redemption an Everest to climb.

Pretty amusing reading all the righteous indignation on here. I'm not a fan of Vick as a QB, thought what he did was idiotic, but I'm amazed at the number of people that thinks he should be punished for the rest of his life. I was all for him receiving harsh punishment at the time, but isn't our prison system supposed to be about punishment as well as rehabilitation?

I understand that it's fun to attack him because he plays for the Eagles now, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't shocked/disappointed at the signing, which is hypocritical considering my feelings on allowing him to prove he's rehabilitated. So, I'll accept him as an Eagle and hope for the best football-wise. Honestly, I have no doubt that he will walk the straight and narrow while he is in Philly. Where they will put him, I have no idea, although I assume it's going to be in the Wildcat portion of their offense.

PF

Sal Paolantonio on Mike and Mike says there is major backlash in Philly today. Said people were leaving the game mad last night when they found out.

Also.. can anyone confirm a newspaper in Philly has the headline "hide your dogs"?

It does not sound like there is much in the way of positive reaction from Philly.

This is the biggest threat to my loyalty I've ever had to deal with.

Not sure what to say. This is the worst.

Why?

Were you against him being given a 2nd chance in the NFL? NIMBY?

Seems to me some would/will never forgive him or consider him a changed person.

I hate coming across as a Vick apologist, but I just don't understand the level of angst for him when 1 in 5 NFL players has a criminal record it's a bit odd that he's the only one who shouldn't be given another chance.

Why?

Were you against him being given a 2nd chance in the NFL? NIMBY?

Seems to me some would/will never forgive him or consider him a changed person.

I hate coming across as a Vick apologist, but I just don't understand the level of angst for him when 1 in 5 NFL players has a criminal record it's a bit odd that he's the only one who shouldn't be given another chance.

I don't believe he should be given another chance.

He's a sociopath.

And he's really bad at football.

There is no bright side. Hopefully he's terrible in the next few weeks in camp and gets cut. Even still, the Eagles' willingness to pay him a salary will be tough to overcome.

I just imagined Vick as a TE blocking, and getting laid out on his butt. Scratch the TE idea. But as a WR...maybe. Or a RB, absolutely.

He's a novelty at all of those positions. Any down he's on the field is a down wasted. To pull real players like westbrook, weaver, or mccoy off the field to run some gadget play with vick is embarrassing.

Worst move of the andy reid era. By a lot.

The only silver lining in this is that he absolutely sucks as a QB...put him in a west coast style and he's a disaster.

But as a TE, maybe. They are really thin there. Celek is avg and will never be anything but. Vick as TE would really be interesting.

A TE? He is under 6 feet tall and might just weigh 200lbs wet through. He is not playing TE - he would get thrown qround like a rag doll.

Real head scratcher this. He is not a fit to play QB in their current system - maybe they try him at WR and put in some wildcat or shotgun option packages?

He's a novelty at all of those positions. Any down he's on the field is a down wasted. To pull real players like westbrook, weaver, or mccoy off the field to run some gadget play with vick is embarrassing.

Worst move of the andy reid era. By a lot.

IDK, OWU.

You line McNabb up under one guard in the shotgun, and Vick under the other guard.

That creates a lot of possibilities and potential confusion on the defense.

IDK, OWU.

You line McNabb up under one guard in the shotgun, and Vick under the other guard.

They've been playing football of a brand we're used to for 60-some years. Never has their been successful use of two QBs on the field at the same time for any prolonged period or to any ultimately positive result.

Michael Vick of all people will not change that.

They'll try to incorporate him for three games or so and it'll be a disaster. Then he'll go be a quiet backup QB and get cut in the offseason. But the team will have already sold it's soul to sign him.

Repulsive.

Sounds like DM isn't happy with the acquisition.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/Reaction_to_Vick_signing.html

QUARTERBACK DONOVAN MCNABB:

"I pretty much lobbied to get him here because everybody deserves a second chance. What a better place than to come here with this group that continues to stay together and bond together through times. ... For a guy that has spoken the truth in front of the nation, has served his time, and for a guy who was just looking for an opportunity to kind of get his feet back on the ground. I think he deserves it."

IDK, OWU.

I'm not a gimmick offense person either. Only thing I can think of is Reid obviously has a chubby for the Wildcat, and when you line up DJ under center, it doesn't scare anyone because he sucks at passing, so they just play the run. That is the ONLY way I can see MV fitting in if DM's healthy.

And as if he were more of an Iggle homer than I:

BENGALS RECEIVER OCHOCINCO (per Twitter):

"Mike Vick and McNabb on the same team, damn!!!!! Glad I don't play defense, good luck game planning to stop that shh!!"

People are looking at this the wrong way. Vick is signed for 1.6 million, with a 2nd year option of 5 million. We know how many players play their best in a contract year. Vick is literally in a career year. He will do whatever it takes to get noticed as a viable player again. This gives the Eagles options:

1: Vick plays well, integrates into the Eagles' system somehow, and the Eagles look pretty smart. He stays as the back up, and maybe more.

2: Vick never had a person who could teach QB like Reid. Favre gives Reid a ton of credit from his time at Green Bay. Morningweig is a damn good OC, and between the two of them can probably get this to work.

3: Vick plays well and becomes trade bait after the season. With an option for 5 million, a team could get a cheap starting QB for a year. I'll bet there are a few teams that would trade draft picks for a starting QB who has a playoff resume and would only cost 5 million for a season.

4: Vick sucks or gets in trouble and gets cut. Even if they pay Vick his salary, it isn't much money in today's NFL.

5: Vick plays well, McNabb is hurt, and Vick steps in.

6: PETA protests and brings bad publicity to Philly. Who gives a crap? If any of them came up to me and started spewing their crap, I'd shove a quarter pounder in their face, lol!

It's a calculated risk, but a good one. Maybe next year he gets traded to SF or Minny.

Archived