Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Todd Collins and the battle for No. 2 QB

REDSKINS HISTORIAN

Todd Collins is one of my favorite players on the Redskins, mostly because the career backup quarterback has been in an underdog role throughout his 15 seasons in the NFL. Currently, he's in a battle with fan favorite Colt Brennan for the No. 2 quarterback spot. I wrote the following article on Collins, the hero of the Redskins' amazing performance down the stretch in 2007 that followed the tragic death of Sean Taylor, after interviewing him recently at Redskins Park.

Mike Richman

Author of The Redskins Encyclopedia

Collins Reminisces About Magical Stretch in 2007

It seems like eons ago -- 20 months to be exact. The Redskins were on their heels, Redskins nation was reeling and a Hall of Fame coach was being vilified for making an embarrassing call.

Late in the 2007 season, the murder of superstar safety Sean Taylor preceded a devastating loss to Buffalo when coach Joe Gibbs illegally called back-to-back timeouts, moving the Bills into better position to kick the winning field goal. The Redskins were 5-7 with their playoff hopes in tatters.

But a no-name 36-year-old quarterback came to the rescue after stepping in for injured starter Jason Campbell. Todd Collins hadn't completed a pass since 2004 nor started a game in a decade, but he played brilliantly as the Redskins won four straight to finish 9-7 and make the playoffs. They fell in the first round to Seattle.

Does Collins think back to that magical stretch when he completed nearly 64 percent of his passes, threw five touchdowns and no interceptions, and posted a passer rating of 106.4?

"I do sometimes in the offseason," he said. "It was an exciting time in my life, it was an exciting time around here for four or five weeks. Unfortunately, you can't really rest on that season, you've got to move on to the next year and put that one to rest, but I'm sure in the future I'll think back on it fondly."

Now, the 15th-year veteran is back in the same spot that he occupied for many years before his swift rise to fame -- relative obscurity. He returned to a backup role last season but never stepped foot on the field, as Campbell took every snap. When the Redskins went shopping for a quarterback a few months ago to replace Campbell, Collins' name was never mentioned as a full-time replacement. And another quarterback on the Redskins' roster, second-year man Colt Brennan, enjoys a cult-like fan following, with spectators mobbing him for autographs and yelling, "WE WANT COLT, WE WANT COLT."

Collins doesn't mind slipping under the radar.

"That's fine, it doesn't really bother me," he said. "For much of my career, I've been that way. Really, all that stuff doesn't matter when it comes to play on the field, and it doesn't affect my play. The most important thing is to go out there and prepare, practice well and play well."

Redskins coach Jim Zorn has said that Collins is still the No. 2 quarterback, but added that he expects spirited preseason competition between Collins and Brennan, last year's third-string quarterback, for the right to backup Campbell. In fact, the Collins-Brennan duel promises to be one of the more intriguing stories at Redskins Park heading into the regular season. Collins has looked comfortable throughout training camp in his second season in Zorn's West Coast offense and completed 6 of 8 passes with team-highs of 64 yards and two touchdowns in Saturday's scrimmage.

"I really want to see Colt," Zorn said. "I think he's worked hard this offseason so that he can try to get that number two spot. But then when you look at what Todd has done this offseason, you definitely can say that he's improved. He's really done a great job of working out and getting himself ready. He's not going to allow Colt to take his position."

As Collins sees it, he's not really competing against Brennan for the No. 2 spot but is instead preparing himself to start if called on.

"Every year, I compete in training camp, and it's really not against any individual," he said. "You're really not competing for the number two spot even if you're in the number three spot. You're really trying to compete at a starter's mentality, play like a starter, because at any one time we may have to go in there and play. It happened to me in 2007. At the time, they said I was competing with Mark Brunell for the second-string job. But that wasn't my mentality really. I wasn't competing against him, he wasn't competing against me. We were just trying to be the best quarterback on the field. You're not trying to be the second-best quarterback, the third-best, you're trying to be the best. Then you let the coaches decide who's the best."

Collins will be 38 in November and has two years left on his contract with the Redskins. He thinks it's premature for him to determine now if he'll hang up his cleats after his contract expires.

"I take it year to year," he said. "I don't look ahead. I just concentrate on the year at hand because every year you get in the league is special, and you want to also review after the season if you're healthy, if you're effective, if you still want to play. If the answer to that is yes, you go into another year."

I still wonder what could have been if Gibbs had returned with Collins starting with Al Saunders system still in place last year. With the #4 D, could have been a fun year.

We crushed the giants in that stretch. The Vikings too.

We would have really rocked it in 08. Kinda sad.:gaintsuck

i still think colt beats him out for the #2 job. or itll be one of those situations like campbell had in 06, where hes the #3 but if the #1 is out for a period of time he becomes the #1 then.

I think Zorn hates the way Colt plays quarterback.

So, why do you think he has any desire to ever start him?

I think there is a better chance that Colt gets cut than there is that he starts this year.

Unless Colt displays more shrewd decision-making than Collins, Collins has the No.2 spot locked. Considering the reports of his drastic improvement and lack of 'looking terrible in training camp' reports should only further soldify that assertion.

FWIW, I heard literally the exact opposite from the beat reporter on 106.7 the other day.

So' date=' why do you think he has any desire to ever start him?

I think there is a better chance that Colt gets cut than there is that he starts this year.[/quote']

-You have officially lost it, come week 14 when Colt is starting you can bet your ass I'm bumping this thread... And just because you think Zorn hates the way Colt plays doesn't make it true... He may start him for one of two reasons; he realizes his job is on the line and that he simply can't win with Campbell so Colt takes over the starting job (Collins is not the future here and will only be used as a band-aid from here on out) this could occur anywhere from weeks 4-10 I would assume... But by about week 11 to 13 if our playoff hopes are fading and come to an end, you can bet Campbell's not going to be here next year, mgmt will certainly like to see what they have on the bench before they go wasting a 1st rounder on a QB and not the tackle the team desperately needs.

Yeah Stpehon Heyer did an amazing job against Kerney (not) and Moss gave up on the deep route that turned into a pick six, but it's all Collin's fault

Don't forget Cooley droppping that TD that would have really put us in control that game, definitely Collin's fault.:rolleyes:

To be honest, I'm not sure why Collins isn't starting right now.

Collins is all class.

If you ask Gibbs now, he'll tell you one of his biggest regrets was not listening to Al Saunders and playing Collins earlier. But to be fair to Gibbs, why would he listen to Saunders? Collins didn't have a great resume and never looked all that great in practice.

But then he got his chance and won NFL player of the month. He would have been the starter had Gibbs or Williams been the coach.

Yet he never complained about not even getting a shot at the starting job last year.

We're lucky to have him. So are JC and Colt. I know the coaches and the players love him.

I suspect Collins will be the number two as long as the playoffs are within reach. Colt will only see time if the season is over.

-You have officially lost it, come week 14 when Colt is starting you can bet your ass I'm bumping this thread... And just because you think Zorn hates the way Colt plays doesn't make it true... He may start him for one of two reasons; he realizes his job is on the line and that he simply can't win with Campbell so Colt takes over the starting job (Collins is not the future here and will only be used as a band-aid from here on out) this could occur anywhere from weeks 4-10 I would assume... But by about week 11 to 13 if our playoff hopes are fading and come to an end, you can bet Campbell's not going to be here next year, mgmt will certainly like to see what they have on the bench before they go wasting a 1st rounder on a QB and not the tackle the team desperately needs.

He's saying that Colt is battling with Daniel for the #3 job.

At the end of the day, I'm not sure Zorn wants his future tied to a guy with bad footwork.

So' date=' why do you think he has any desire to ever start him?

I think there is a better chance that Colt gets cut than there is that he starts this year.[/quote']

i disagree. i don't even think zorn hates the way colt plays. i doubt they would have drafted him if that were the case. and there is no way in hell hes getting cut. if campbell goes down, i would like to see colt out there

He's saying that Colt is battling with Daniel for the #3 job.

At the end of the day' date=' I'm not sure Zorn wants his future tied to a guy with bad footwork.[/quote']

-Ya, and there have also been reports he's battling Collins for the #2 job... But you choose to act as if all the reports are one sided and Zorn thinks that Colt might actually be cut... And from pretty much everything I have read Daniel looks like the WORST qb on the team right now during TC.

-Footwork can be taught unlike accuracy, if I were a head coach I would prefer the guy with the intangibles not the guy who had his fundamentals down, especially considering both are extremely young.. Fundamentals can be taught through practice and repetition, you can't teach accuracy

:koolaid: You Colt Kool-aid drinkers need to drink a man's drink. Collins is securely the #2 and Colt will be embarrassed when playing against 2nd stringers this pre-season instead of walk-ons and camp fodder like last pre-season. The only battle Colt is in is against Chase Daniels for the #3 spot.

Yeah Stpehon Heyer did an amazing job against Kerney (not) and Moss gave up on the deep route that turned into a pick six, but it's all Collin's fault

Yup. I still remember screaming "Moss quit on the route!! He quit!!!"

Such a painful day. Ditto on your Heyer comment. He just wasn't ready.

But even before that pick-6 Cooley dropped a sure 3rd down pass before the missed Suisham field goal that would've gotten us near the goal line...

Collins is all class.

If you ask Gibbs now, he'll tell you one of his biggest regrets was not listening to Al Saunders and playing Collins earlier. But to be fair to Gibbs, why would he listen to Saunders? Collins didn't have a great resume and never looked all that great in practice.

But then he got his chance and won NFL player of the month. He would have been the starter had Gibbs or Williams been the coach.

Yet he never complained about not even getting a shot at the starting job last year.

We're lucky to have him. So are JC and Colt. I know the coaches and the players love him.

I suspect Collins will be the number two as long as the playoffs are within reach. Colt will only see time if the season is over.

If Saunders advice didn't speak volumes, Collins pre-season performance should have. We could have actually looked like a legit offense if we had started Collins as soon as we brought in Saunders.

:koolaid: You Colt Kool-aid drinkers need to drink a man's drink. Collins is securely the #2 and Colt will be embarrassed when playing against 2nd stringers this pre-season instead of walk-ons and camp fodder like last pre-season. The only battle Colt is in is against Chase Daniels for the #3 spot.

-Ya Chase has made such a big name for himself that you don't even know how to spell his name right.

Don't forget Cooley droppping that TD that would have really put us in control that game, definitely Collin's fault...
Yup. I still remember screaming "Moss quit on the route!! He quit!!!"

Such a painful day. Ditto on your Heyer comment. He just wasn't ready.

But even before that pick-6 Cooley dropped a sure 3rd down pass before the missed Suisham field goal that would've gotten us near the goal line...

So the team must play well to succeed regardless of the efforts of the QB.... imagine that.

We'll find out Thursday night now won't we.

51 with all those absolutes. I wish for your wisdom.

I still wonder what could have been if Gibbs had returned with Collins starting with Al Saunders system still in place last year. With the #4 D, could have been a fun year.

my sentiments exactly... the change in our offense between a guy who was still thinking versus a guy who was reacting was night and day... not sure how effected TC would be in the current scheme but he knew the saunders one inside and out and could have done for us what the other collins is doing for the titans...

Archived