Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ubuntu 9.04 is the best OS I've ever used

robotfire

It's not a required class. It's an elective. Should have mentioned that.

I signed up for it because I like to know everything I can about, well, everything.

I just sigh because Macs are expensive. Although I could get one refurbished for less than a thousand bucks.

And as for the price of the operating systems.. lol. I usually don't have to worry about that one.:)

No you can just buy new and use your keyboard and monitor. :D

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9269187&type=product&id=1218072180264

Ubuntu is no secret.

It's UNIX.

It's been around since before windows.

It's biggest negative is it wont run microsoft office, internet explorer, and other stuff like itunes. Even more negative is it takes a UNIX experienced user to install most things and it's wireless USB support SUCKS.

I run it on my daughters machine. It is great for her. I never could get her Linksys USB wireless adapter to connect to the net. And I am a UNIX guru.

The bolded comment is a negative because ............? I think it's a positive that Ubuntu doesn't run (natively) any of MSOffice, Internet Exploder or iTunes. As I mentioned earlier, I have an ipod and have NEVER used iTunes to load it.

MSOffice = OpenOffice.

IE = Firefox (who in their right mind still uses IE these days?).

iTunes = Rhythmbox or Songbird.

The bolded comment is a negative because ............? I think it's a positive that Ubuntu doesn't run (natively) any of MSOffice, Internet Exploder or iTunes. As I mentioned earlier, I have an ipod and have NEVER used iTunes to load it.

MSOffice = OpenOffice.

IE = Firefox (who in their right mind still uses IE these days?).

iTunes = Rhythmbox or Songbird.

Because I have used websites which absolutely only work in IE, I have my kids buy legal music for their ipod, hence itunes.

I do a lot of contracting work for prime contractors in ms office. The docs they provide are complicated templates with links to excel docs and lots of office codes. OpenOffice can't handle highly formatted documents with lots of codes and links from word to excel docs. I need MS office. OpenOffice isn't fully compatible.

Archived