Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ubuntu 9.04 is the best OS I've ever used

robotfire

Up until recently, the greatest operating system of all time was Windows XP. No Linux distribution had ever come close, as far as I could tell. It's finally been trumped. Ubuntu is a distribution of Linux. It's free, in case anyone wants to give it a try.

Its a very good OS, I'll give you that. Its just not worth the trouble for most users.
You say that, but when I did a search to see if this had been posted (it just recently came out, so I figured people might be talking), people's computer problems were full of things that would be solved by making the switch. I'm considering putting it on my mother-in-law's computer, because she manages to get viruses and all sorts of garbage on her computer. My wife loves it, and she's a regular user. It's freeing to know that I won't ever have to pay for another OS as long as Ubuntu is well maintained.

:hysterical:

XP is far better than Vista in regards to Windows, but XP the greatest OS of all time?

Name a better OS? No Linux distribution I'd tried up to this point was ever easy to install. There were always driver problems or other weird problems. For the average person, XP was the better option. I no longer believe XP should be the common man's choice, as of Ubuntu 9.04.

What other OS beats XP as far as ease of setup and use?

its good stuff if you don't do much on a computer.

the support for games, video encoding, photoshop just isn't there.

Hence the reason why Windows is superior to all others

Before fanboys get irate and defend their system, I like video games, and many other people like PC games, and we love our PC's for this purpose

Hence the reason why Windows is superior to all others

Before fanboys get irate and defend their system, I like video games, and many other people like PC games, and we love our PC's for this purpose

agreed. windows is the best in terms of all around support. most everything is designed to work with windows.

When was Ubuntu 9.04 released.....I updated my version about a month ago.....I ask cuz my Audigy card is NOT supported by Ubuntu......therefor....no audio.....not even OB :(

ps-

My list:

-------

By Ease of use:

XP

Ubuntu

Vista

All Mac

By performance & features:

Vista

XP

All Mac

Ubuntu

its good stuff if you don't do much on a computer.

the support for games, video encoding, photoshop just isn't there.

The *casual* people who would benefit from the switch are the people who prefer a Mac. It's easier to use and cleaner feeling. The biggest benefit I see from it is how efficient it is.

Cinelerra is free and awesome for video editing (maybe better than anything on Windows). For ripping DVDs, I'm using DVDFab, DVDShrink, and FairUse Wizard 2. There are some good Linux programs, but I've found those Windows programs running in WINE to fit my needs the best. I'd say GIMP for photoshop, but you and I both know it doesn't compete. Games? Yeah, you're right again there. Personally, I play games on my Wii. The other glaring limitation, in my opinion, is Netflix watch-it-now support. In Linux, it doesn't exist. That will *supposedly* change eventually, but we'll see. I have a Roku box anyway, so whatever.

As for specs, if you're running Windows 7, you'll be more than fine with Ubuntu. Go duel boot!

Gee, I can't imagine why people would "get irate" because some guy who admits that he chooses operating systems on the basis of video games calls them "fanboys".

When was Ubuntu 9.04 released.....I updated my version about a month ago.....I ask cuz my Audigy card is NOT supported by Ubuntu......therefor....no audio.....not even OB :(
You're using version 8. Go get the new one, it's got better driver support by a mile.

Gee, I can't imagine why people would "get irate" because some guy who admits that he chooses operating systems on the basis of video games calls them "fanboys".

Lol

Anyways Windows does run games the best, but I do see how some of you that don't like the games will run other operating systems. I've never tried an operating system other than Windows or Mac though

Yeah I heard about WINE though but I don't know how those would work with my precious games such as Battlefield 2 :(

The *casual* people who would benefit from the switch are the people who prefer a Mac. It's easier to use and cleaner feeling. The biggest benefit I see from it is how efficient it is.

Cinelerra is free and awesome for video editing (maybe better than anything on Windows). For ripping DVDs, I'm using DVDFab, DVDShrink, and FairUse Wizard 2. There are some good Linux programs, but I've found those Windows programs running in WINE to fit my needs the best. I'd say GIMP for photoshop, but you and I both know it doesn't compete. Games? Yeah, you're right again there. Personally, I play games on my Wii. The other glaring limitation, in my opinion, is Netflix watch-it-now support. In Linux, it doesn't exist. That will *supposedly* change eventually, but we'll see. I have a Roku box anyway, so whatever.

As for specs, if you're running Windows 7, you'll be more than fine with Ubuntu. Go duel boot!

I use it on my laptop, since I do nothing but schoolwork on it. Simple, and hassle-free for the most part.

I wish I could install Microsoft Word on it though. It might sound insignificant, but it's just so damn easy to make outlines in Word. Note-taking is much easier than any other program I've used so far. If anyone knows a good substitute please let me know (not openoffice).

By performance & features:

Vista

XP

All Mac

Ubuntu

I can understand having 7 at the top (at least based on what I saw with it). I think the average person would find Ubuntu, Mac, and 7 to be nearly equal as far as features until he wanted to play a game. I think Ubuntu is the best performing OS I've ever used by a lot.

I'll dual boot it. It will be interesting to see if it picks up my Wireless USB adapter since my internal card is fried.

Windows 7 picked it up without me installing a single thing for it..

If I was a betting man, I'd put a lot of money on it working right away. Also, how do you have Windows 7, Mr. Depp? :) My brother has it, and he LOVES it. I played with it some, and I was definitely impressed.

Actually, I always love the people who claim "performance" as a feature of any MS operating system.

Every version of Windows since 3.1 has claimed to perform better than it's predecessor. And every one of them has lied.

Near as I can tell, "performance" in MS land means "If you install our new product on the brand new, top of the line computer you just bought, the one that's eight times faster than your old computer, then our new OS will perform 20% faster than your old OS ran on your old system".

[/rant]

Windows 7 is the best all-around OS I've had the opportunity to spend some time with. I've run Ubuntu on my laptop for several years now and it has always been a solid platform for the basics but just doesn't have the industry support required to unseat Microsoft and Apple.

You're using version 8. Go get the new one, it's got better driver support by a mile.

Version 9 was out in April, so if he updated a month ago it would have been 9.04.

Yeah I heard about WINE though but I don't know how those would work with my precious games such as Battlefield 2 :(

As with all things Linux, results are mixed depending on one's effort and dedication to fixing things.

Actually, I always love the people who claim "performance" as a feature of any MS operating system.

Every version of Windows since 3.1 has claimed to perform better than it's predecessor. And every one of them has lied.

With Windows 7 it's actually true. That's mostly a reflection of just how bad Vista was from a performance perspective, though.

With Windows 7 it's actually true. That's mostly a reflection of just how bad Vista was from a performance perspective, though.

I don't know about that.

I'm running Windows 7 on a bare bones laptop (by today's standards, anyway) with only 1.00 GB of RAM. It runs better than XP did on this machine.

Very, very impressive. I think it would be impressive even without the cancer that is (for some) Vista.

Archived