Extremeskins

AP: Govt to suspend 'cash for clunkers'

Thiebear

AP sources: Govt to suspend 'cash for clunkers'

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D99P2U9G1&show_article=1

Jul 30 07:39 PM US/Eastern

By KEN THOMAS

Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) - Congressional officials say the government plans to suspend the popular "cash for clunkers" program amid concerns it could quickly use up the $1 billion in rebates for new car purchases.

The Transportation Department called congressional offices late Thursday to alert them to the decision to halt the program, which offered owners of old cars and trucks $3,500 or $4,500 toward a new, more fuel-efficient vehicle.

The congressional officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly.

Through late Wednesday, 22,782 vehicles had been purchased through the program and nearly $96 million had been spent. But dealers raised concerns of large backlogs in the system, prompting the suspension.

AGAIN! Who didn't see this coming. They are like shampoo. Rinse/Repeat.

And why i say in the other threads on Healthcare: Watch an extra 100 million people get thrown into this program and the Gov't say WHOA!!! didnt see that coming, we can't pay for this....

There were also reports of the Government messing with the numbers on MPG. Upping them after the start to reduce the amount of trade-ins.

The Environmental Protection Agency says the changes resulted from a double-check of its fuel-efficiency ratings on more than 30,000 1984 and newer vehicles in advance of the official start of the clunkers program Monday.

I saw this one coming. What was to stop someone from buying some piece of crap on the side of the road for a couple hundred bucks and then going to a dealership to trade it in for a few thousand?

has to run

has to be insured for a year prior to program.

You had to be the owner for atleast a year and have had it insured the past year.

No new car for me now :(

Gotcha. Well if it makes you feel any better I bought a new car in February and got $1500 for my trade in. If I would've waited a few months I prolly would've gotten alot more.

Don't forget that we just helped to pay for your neighbors new car with this program. Hopefully you get a thanks from them.

Nope...Tis magic free money...no thanks are needed

Rdskn4Lyf21 :moon::welcome:

This is one stimulus that actually appears to be stimulating a sector of the economy.

Rush was having a conniption fit about it this morning.

Sure he was because he wants Obama to fail and if Obama keeps doing stuff like this then he's not gonna fail and Rush will be stuck representing those in the dwindling minority instead of serving as lead propagandist for an administration.

This is good for the economy and the environment and it reduces even more our dependency on oil. Its a trifecta.

Sure he was because he wants Obama to fail and if Obama keeps doing stuff like this then he's not gonna fail and Rush will be stuck representing those in the dwindling minority instead of serving as lead propagandist for an administration.

This is good for the economy and the environment and it reduces even more our dependency on oil. Its a trifecta.

Not that it matters, but I think Rush LOVES having a target in office.

In that spirit ,why not just give every American a new car?

How about a new energy efficient house?

Magic money for nothing

Consider it kind of like a tax break. You guys love giving those out. It is really no different.

I'll consider it a bribe from my kid's future earnings:)

About time they started paying me off

It is pretty incredible how wildly successful this program has been.

I had a guy in my office today literally cursing in his office when he found out that the program was already done/run out of money. When they found out it was being boosted with more funds, he went out this afternoon. I think he is trying to buy a car right now.

It is pretty incredible how wildly successful this program has been.

I had a guy in my office today literally cursing in his office when he found out that the program was already done/run out of money. When they found out it was being boosted with more funds, he went out this afternoon. I think he is trying to buy a car right now.

Taking gas hogs off the road, reducing emissions, allowing auto-factory workers to build cars thereby earning money for the economy.

The down side is where exactly?

I guess we should have just given the rich more of a tax cut that is supposed to work right?

Archived