Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Govt to suspend 'cash for clunkers'

Thiebear

I see this as extremely successful in the short term, but a complete and miserable failure in the long term. Especially when car manufacturers and dealerships come crying for more bailout money in a couple of months because no one is buying cars anymore.

Agreed,giving money away is alway popular and successful in the short term.

Paying it back,and the unintended consequences of higher personal debt as well as artificially directing money into less than efficient parts of the economy(as opposed to that same private money going elsewhere) is gonna have consequences.

Then again maybe the Feds have a magic source of funds to keep stimulating spending...they sure seem to operate on that assumption.:silly:

The ironic thing about this program, and it's certainly well intended, that as we transition into cars w/better fuel efficiency (and w/petrol prices staying steady) we will actually drive MORE because we can. Once again, the law of unintended consequences comes into play despite our best intentions. Rambling post by me...

I'm not really trying to be a dick. I generally think of a blog as a website maintained by a specific persons or persons with editorial control. They don't necessarily have to contain editorial content. This blog post clearly contains news reporting. I think it's good reporting on what is going on from a dealer's perspective. I think we're at the point in news reporting where it all is biased; how much research would it take if you had to hit enough to make it unbiased, then again who gets to define "bias"?

Instead of bailing out these car companies, couldnt we have just offered a larger scale version of this plan?

Well this also benefits the finance companies as well as the ins ones,but I wonder if a new car financing scheme backed by the feds at base interest rates(and subject to high mpg ratings) wouldn't have been wiser.

But it is still a bad ROI in my eyes...results may vary:silly:

The bailout effected a basic restructuring of the auto companies,we will see if the results were beneficial over time.(count me among the doubters)

someone told me that if you do thsi program, the government will have the ability to track all of your finances, that it is part of the registration process when you go to the dealer. Anyone know about this?

someone told me that if you do thsi program, the government will have the ability to track all of your finances, that it is part of the registration process when you go to the dealer. Anyone know about this?

I thought that was the public health plan?...both?

They already can track everything anyway,but I guess you mean legally:silly:

That came from Glenn Beck but he apparently misunderstood(or lied).

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2009/8/1/760538/-Beck-conspiracy-theory:-Cash-for-clunkers-site-lets-Feds-control-your-PC

Before you play the video of Glenn Beck's latest loony-tunes conspiracy theory, keep in mind that it's totally nuts. Here's the key information debunking it:

1.If you are a consumer visiting cars.gov (the "cash for clunkers" website) the Federal government cannot take control over your computer, nor will it ask permission to do so.

2.The "Terms of Use" statement to which Beck refers in this clip is not from cars.gov. Rather it is a login page for dealer transactions located at esc.gov.

3.The only people who can get login credentials for the esc.gov site are dealers who have been screened and registered for the "cash for clunkers" program.

4.To summarize: the page in question isn't on cars.gov and can only be used by dealers who have already registered. Consumers won't be impacted by any of this.

Thanks- my boss is the one who tried to say about the mineware- and I have read the cars page so much, it totally threw me off. I don't watch Glen, so had no clue he talked about it.

my gf's explorer is a piece of ****- and I've had it with repairs. I convinced her we can afford a small car payment, and that getting a fuel efficient car would go great with me already having a 4- Runner.

Edit: I went to that website, watched the video. Beck clearly says it is the dealer who access it, then they say it will affect the consumer. Not sure how it can affect me if it is the dealer loggin in, and it's the dealers computer

Thanks- my boss is the one who tried to say about the mineware- and I have read the cars page so much, it totally threw me off. I don't watch Glen, so had no clue he talked about it.

my gf's explorer is a piece of ****- and I've had it with repairs. I convinced her we can afford a small car payment, and that getting a fuel efficient car would go great with me already having a 4- Runner.

Unfortunately, my car ( Mazda 626) doesn't qualify.:(

Archived