43. Dick Irvin, NHL

44. Ara Parseghian, college football

45. Chuck Daly, NBA

46. Bobby Cox, MLB

47. Hank Iba, college basketball

48. Tommy Lasorda, MLB

49. Gregg Popovich, NBA

50. Herb Brooks, NHL

http://www.sportingnews.com/college-basketball/article/2009-07-29/sporting-news-50-greatest-coaches-all-time

So Joe Gibbs is the 17th greatest coach of all-time, not too bad. He's the 6th greatest NFL coach of all-time. What do you guys think of this list? Any changes?

Pretty impressive list.

I think Bill Walsh should be a lot higher on that list, Pat Riley could go up a few slots also. Shula was a great coach, but top five ever? He needs to drop down lower in the top ten. Somewhere below Pat Summitt, who belongs in the top ten.

Thing about Shula was that his teams were almost always in the playoffs. Even if he couldn't win the big ones...his team was always in the running. The Bills of the 80-90's killed him, and the fact that he refused to build a better rushing attack, and relied so much on Marino.

Thing about Shula was that his teams were almost always in the playoffs. Even if he couldn't win the big ones...his team was always in the running. The Bills of the 80-90's killed him, and the fact that he refused to build a better rushing attack, and relied so much on Marino.
I'm sure a little something like the only totally undefeated NFL team had something to do with it.

He coached 33 years and had 2 losing seasons. The problem though was that in 33 years he only had 2 SBs and 1 NFL Championship. Walsh was a coach for half of that and won 3 SBs.

I think Bill Walsh should be a lot higher on that list

Glad I'm not the only one who felt that way. Walsh's passing offense was prolific.

I wonder about Hank Stram as well. Perhaps those later years with the hapless Saints killed his chances.

How is Morgan Wootten not listed at all ? That's weak.

I use to go to his basketball camp at Mount St. Marys, he is a High School coach, there are many impressive High School coaches.

As for the list, Shula in the top 5? ahead of Paterno, someone is biased.

I think the reason Gibbs is so high is he was a great coach. As simple as it sounds he was able to win 3 Super Bowls with 3 different quarterbacks and discovered so much great talent out of the rough. The Redskins didn't have a Joe Montana to rely on, instead Gibbs built his team in the trenches focusing on the most underrated and important aspect of football...the offensive line. So I don't have a problem with him being ahead of Walsh as a coach. If we want to talk the biggest innovator in the NFL I think we re-arrange the list to have Walsh at the top. But I think Joe Gibbs has earned a spot this high after what he did in Washington. And it's funny because everyone likes to look at these iconic coaches like Shula, Landry, Walsh, Parcells, ect. yet Gibbs is almost ALWAYS left out of the discussion.

I think the reason Gibbs is so high is he was a great coach. As simple as it sounds he was able to win 3 Super Bowls with 3 different quarterbacks and discovered so much great talent out of the rough. The Redskins didn't have a Joe Montana to rely on, instead Gibbs built his team in the trenches focusing on the most underrated and important aspect of football...the offensive line. So I don't have a problem with him being ahead of Walsh as a coach. If we want to talk the biggest innovator in the NFL I think we re-arrange the list to have Walsh at the top. But I think Joe Gibbs has earned a spot this high after what he did in Washington. And it's funny because everyone likes to look at these iconic coaches like Shula, Landry, Walsh, Parcells, ect. yet Gibbs is almost ALWAYS left out of the discussion.
I don't think anybody on here talking about Walsh would rank him higher than Gibbs. :)

I would disagree with Phil Jackson a little. I know he won a lot of championships but that guy had more talent on his teams than anyone.

Red coached 9 players that are in the basketball HoF. Its not like he was coaching a bunch of bums. The only players Phil has coached that will be in are Jordan, Pippen, Shaq, and Kobe.

I use to go to his basketball camp at Mount St. Marys, he is a High School coach, there are many impressive High School coaches.

The guys is the winningest coach in the history of basketball. I don't care if he coached HS guys or not, that is impressive. After his team beat Lew Alcindor's (AKA Kareem) and broke the PMA winning streak of 71 games, he was already a revered coach. Even Wooden gave him his props as the finest coach at any level.

I would disagree with Phil Jackson a little. I know he won a lot of championships but that guy had more talent on his teams than anyone.

You can say he had the two best players the league has ever known. But even as a Lakers fan, I could argue that the team of Magic, Worthy, Kareem, etc, was more talented. The 80's Celtic's...Bird, McHale, Chief, etc.

Red coached 9 players that are in the basketball HoF. Its not like he was coaching a bunch of bums. The only players Phil has coached that will be in are Jordan, Pippen, Shaq, and Kobe.

And to add to that in a much more diverse league where nearly every team has a superstar or two. Personally, I think Pippen is great and all, but not a top 50 of all-time player even.

Archived