Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

10 (semi) bold predictions

themurf

The main difference between last season part one and last season part two was the success of the quick slant. During the first half of the year that was the go to route whenever we were 3rd and 5-7. The crazy thing was that it was working even though everybody knew it was coming. In the 2nd half of the year opposition learned how to take that option away.

That was the main difference between the first 8 and the last 8 besides injuries and fatigue.

The main difference between last season part one and last season part two was the success of the quick slant. During the first half of the year that was the go to route whenever we were 3rd and 5-7. The crazy thing was that it was working even though everybody knew it was coming. In the 2nd half of the year opposition learned how to take that option away.

That was the main difference between the first 8 and the last 8 besides injuries and fatigue.

Agreed. Once they got that figured out it seemed like Zorn had problems figuring out how to counter their counter.

Marcus Washington (Why we haven't resigned him already, I don't know)

The question really should be, "Why hasn't he signed anywhere?" That's because he's waiting for some team to have a need. It could be us, it could be another team.

Overall, I think they are pretty solid predictions. I understand where #1 comes from and I'm not sure if I agree with it. I don't think Campbell's problem is being too conservative. About #7, I'll make the prediction that ARE will surprise some people and that's because he'll finally be used in the offense the way he was intended to be used when he was signed.

To Liz and friends, I openly admit to messing with the Hawaii crowd. I don't actually believe everyone who lives out there smokes pot and listens to Jack Johnson. Hopefully it's apparent that I kid because I wish I lived out there (so I could promptly become a pothead surfer who listened to Jack Johnson).

And to those getting caught up on whether Colt Brennan will actually have a clipboard in his hands during a game or not - you're missing the point. The folks I talk to say he's still got a long way to go refining his fundamentals before he gets serious consideration for playing time. That being said, a strong preseason wouldn't hurt.

Whether we're talking about Brennan or any of these other statements, I'm not afraid to make a few predictions and put them out there for the world to see. If they work out, great. If not, that's okay too.

To Liz and friends, I openly admit to messing with the Hawaii crowd. I don't actually believe everyone who lives out there smokes pot and listens to Jack Johnson. Hopefully it's apparent that I kid because I wish I lived out there (so I could promptly become a pothead surfer who listened to Jack Johnson).

And to those getting caught up on whether Colt Brennan will actually have a clipboard in his hands during a game or not - you're missing the point. The folks I talk to say he's still got a long way to go refining his fundamentals before he gets serious consideration for playing time. That being said, a strong preseason wouldn't hurt.

Whether we're talking about Brennan or any of these other statements, I'm not afraid to make a few predictions and put them out there for the world to see. If they work out, great. If not, that's okay too.

Sounds good to me brutha. :point2sky

The bolded part made me LOL.

I agree with your prediction that Betts will see more action this season. I've made the case in previous posts. But, you should be aware that many members, probably the majority, enamored of his speed, are rooting for Alridge to move Ladell out in order to provide a "change of pace."

I won't attend practices, so I'll be interested in your future comments about Alridge. What can he do besides run fast? Is he a football player or a track star?

I want Aldridge to be here, but I want him to replace Rock, not Betts. To me, if he is what I hope he is, he's a great 3rd string RB with the potential to be a very good kick returner and change-of-pace RB.

Here's my 10 predictions

1. Campbell doesn't play enough in preseaon to convince fans one way or the other. He starts week one and plays in the same manner he's been playing for the past 2 years. Game management style that isn't quite bad enough to pull him but ultimatley leaves fans wanting more. At the end of this season we as an organization still have no idea whether he is a franchise quarterback, and end up doing something stupid in next year's draft.

2. Brennan wins the number 2 spot but never sees the field during the regular season. At the end of next year he'll be competing with whoever the front office decides to draft.

3. Our linebackers start out strong but falter midseason due to injury. We resign Marcus Washington.

4. Heyer starts at right tackle but gets replaced midseason by Mike Williams after an injury. He never gets his spot back.

5. Malcom Kelly is used in the redzone and gets more touchdowns than Davis and Thomas combined, but Campbell's main target of the year is Chris Cooley, who leads the team in receptions.

6. Ladell Betts plays more, but underperforms. He leaves the team after this year in a trade and his spot as back up RB is taken by one of the special team RB's this season. I also think we draft a running back next year.

7. ARE goes back in the slot where he belongs and has a good season. He gives up punt return duties to a special team running back by midseason.

8. Wynn doesn't make the cut. Depending on Barnes and Tryon's preseason performances (Tryon surprises everyone by playing MUCH better in preseason, but falters during the regular season) Smoot is released, but he is missed when the regular season rolls around.

9. Albert Haynesworth plays well and improves our defense, but gets injured before midseason due to opposing lines focusing in on him and drawing double coverages

10. Hall is good, Rogers is better THIS season. We use rogers as trade material

Billick is terribly overated. He never had anything to talk about on offense with the ravens,and maybe 1 or 2 good years as an OC in minny.

Just because he wasn't successful in launching a dependable offense in Baltimore doesn't take away from the fact he coached in the NFL for many years, and therefore knows a hell of alot more about the game than any of us here. I'll take the opinion of an NFL coach any day of the week when it comes to assessing players.

I want Aldridge to be here, but I want him to replace Rock, not Betts. To me, if he is what I hope he is, he's a great 3rd string RB with the potential to be a very good kick returner and change-of-pace RB.

I don't buy into the "change-of-pace" theory since we're talking about a one back offense. Defenses routinely make adjustments for personnel packages. So, the change of pace back would be ho-hum for them.

I think we could use one player who poses a threat as a return man for both punts and kicks. The first report from the OTAs had Alridge not faring well in the punt return drills.

Just because he wasn't successful in launching a dependable offense in Baltimore doesn't take away from the fact he coached in the NFL for many years, and therefore knows a hell of alot more about the game than any of us here. I'll take the opinion of an NFL coach any day of the week when it comes to assessing players.

On one hand: you're absolutely right... on the other hand: Kyle Boller.

Archived