Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Blog: Kevin Barnes Signed (via Twitter)

Sweet Sassy Molassy

It seems we are the only ones who think guys picked in the 5th and 6th rounds are potential starters. I guess it is because we've been so hard up for years.

I never said anything about them becoming defensive starters. I said that this team had some serious depth issues at LB. For now, yes, their main contribution will be on special teams. Hopefully, they will also be solid reserves as well.

If those guys dropped to the 7th round, it kinda shows how weak the Center class is. Anyways, I like the pick of Williams. Versitile, athletic guys are always useful to have on your team, especially when their negatives are aspects that can be taught.

There are plenty of things I have disagreed with. Plenty more things that I take a wait-and-see approach. When it comes to the draft, it is certainly wait-and-see, because I haven't seen these guys play yet.

I would actually really like one of those linebackers to be good (that sounds really stupid after rereading that), so Orakpo doesn't have to pull double duty.

But, back to the seventh round. It's a crapshoot all around, and I think it would have been better to go after a center as it's more of a need. I'm not sure why the team still needs a fullback. Dissolving the position would let Davis and the two TE set come to fruition. Cooley and Davis on the field all the time should be a good thing if Davis is as good as people are saying.

Lastly, I knew that you'd probably disagreed with moves, but that's why I said I'd never seen it. ;)

I think Barnes was a good value pick at where we got him. That coupled with the fact that he is actually very talented and can provide quality depth makes the pick even more pleasing.

The thing is that we honestly do not know what the future holds for Los. Will he re-sign with us? Because of that glaring unknown, I think Vinny and the boys were actually looking at not only the BPA (best player available), but shockingly, also towards the future.

I've heard nothing but good things regarding Tryon during OTAs. With Freddy losing a step or two last season, it would be nice to see some young nickle and dime guys who can eventually take the starting job from Los if he chooses to play elsewhere.

Redskins are good about getting players signed. Wiht Barnes signed, who is a 3rd round pick, Jarmon will probably get signed tomorrow for the same contract being a third round pick too. That will give them the weekend to hammer out Rak's contract and be ready next week before camp.

Kevin Barnes-DB- Redskins Jul. 23 - 12:49 pm et

Redskins signed third-round CB Kevin Barnes to a four-year contract, including a $782,500 signing bonus.

Barnes, a physical corner with ideal size and speed from Maryland, will push Fred Smoot for playing time at nickel back. Smoot is coming off a poor year and may be a cap casualty by 2010 if Barnes proves that he's NFL ready.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports

I would actually really like one of those linebackers to be good (that sounds really stupid after rereading that), so Orakpo doesn't have to pull double duty.

I wouldn't count on that. Cody mainly played weak side and Barnes played middle in college. If they develop into starters, I wouldn't expect it to be at Sam

But, back to the seventh round. It's a crapshoot all around, and I think it would have been better to go after a center as it's more of a need. I'm not sure why the team still needs a fullback. Dissolving the position would let Davis and the two TE set come to fruition. Cooley and Davis on the field all the time should be a good thing if Davis is as good as people are saying.

Well, first off you are pretty much picking the best players at almost any position in the 7th round, if just to get a head start on RFA.

Second, the FB position is a key one for the WCO, at least the ones I've seen, and the FB is used a lot in the passing game.

Lastly, I knew that you'd probably disagreed with moves, but that's why I said I'd never seen it. ;)

It does happen from time to time. :D

Why do I think I remember hearing that the TE/FB we drafted was better suited for the WCO than Sellers?

And wasn't Sellers undrafted to begin with? lol :cool:

Standard WCO will use a FB/RB offset so they are both passing threats. This can also be done by using a 2 TE set and having one or the other in motion.

And the kid we took in the 7th, Eddie Williams, is a project and probably won't pan out as a FB in this league.

Negatives: Finding a position may be an issue. Below average height and strength to play tight end or H-back, but was not used as a lead blocker in Idaho's offense. Struggles to anchor or sustain blocks against defensive ends or bigger linebackers. Will cut block, albeit effectively, in pass protection instead of standing up to blitzers. Doesn't have the straight-line speed to threaten the seam or separate from NFL linebackers and safeties.

Standard WCO will use a FB/RB offset so they are both passing threats. This can also be done by using a 2 TE set and having one or the other in motion.

And the kid we took in the 7th, Eddie Williams, is a project and probably won't pan out as a FB in this league.

You never know. Apparently, Williams is a great reciever. Stick him on the PS and teach him how to block, who knows what he could become. You can't teach hands.

Good that we signed Barnes. (However, I was surprised when we drafted him instead of getting decent O-line help.)

If Tryon is becoming that good (as some here have posted), I'm wondering whether that means the Redskins are not going to spend as much for Carlos Rogers when his contract comes due. I already figure Smoot may not be much longer with the Skins.

A defensive backfield of Hall, Barnes, Landry, Horton, Tryon may be what we're looking at in the future. (And that's not even considering the possibility that the F.O. might bring in some high-profile free agent.)

...Ahhh, the off-season. A time for idle crystal-ball gazing.:fortune:

Archived