Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Has this ever happened to you (Rental Deposit)

FunBunch7

Hey ES brothers and sisters,

I moved out of a rental in Arizona and they withheld $376 of my security deposit for cleaning. But we scrubbed the place PERFECT and best of all we video taped it on the morning we left for Colorado AND have the video on YouTube.

This video PROVES we are entitled to 100% of our money. I have filed a complaint with the BBB after the property management refuses to budge even after seeing the video. I'm in the business so they have definitely messed with the wrong person. I'd appreciate you all to just go to the link so I can get my view count up. I will be sneding the link to my database of over 1,000 clients, Realtors, Loan Officers, Title Agents, etc.

I also sent the story with the link and my rental contract to my local news channel that likes to do reports on crooked businesses.

Here's the link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G_p5aaZGd4

PS. Me, my wife and 13 yr old and 11 yr old spent 2 full days making this place PERFECT...the video will show that.

Has this happened to anyone else? how did you habdle it?

Yes, they did give an itemized list of what they deducted for...some of this includes cleaning of base boards, floors and baths...on my video it clearly shows these were all spotless. In addition they required me to pay for carpet cleaning which i did just 2 days prior to moving out and they wanted a copy of the invoice.

But here's the deal...

By law, since I did NOT give a "Cleaning Deposit"...then my "Security/Damage Deposit" is not subject to them taking money out to clean. So even if the place was a mess (which it was not) they are still not allowed by Arizona law to touch my security deposit.

If I had gone on to buy a home using them or maybe even another rental, I'm sure they woudl have given me all my money back...they just figured since i am moving to Colorado they may as well get all they can from me.

I filed a complaint with the BBB. They actually have 13 complaints and a B- rating (not good)

Yes, they did give an itemized list of what they deducted for...some of this includes cleaning of base boards, floors and baths...on my video it clearly shows these were all spotless. In addition they required me to pay for carpet cleaning which i did just 2 days prior to moving out and they wanted a copy of the invoice.

But here's the deal...

By law, since I did NOT give a "Cleaning Deposit"...then my "Security/Damage Deposit" is not subject to them taking money out to clean. So even if the place was a mess (which it was not) they are still not allowed by Arizona law to touch my security deposit.

If I had gone on to buy a home using them or maybe even another rental, I'm sure they woudl have given me all my money back...they just figured since i am moving to Colorado they may as well get all they can from me.

I filed a complaint with the BBB. They actually have 13 complaints and a B- rating (not good)

I'd take it as far as you can. They'll go the "make this last until they quit" route so don't quit.

But here's the deal...

Go beyond the BBB (the BBB really can't do much) and talk to the state licencing board and any state regulatory agencies.

All the BBB can do is just bug them.

I'd take it as far as you can. They'll go the "make this last until they quit" route so don't quit.

I plan on it. It's really not about my $376 they owe me although I do know I'm entitled...it's more about the PRINCIPLE of the thing. They are probably doing this to ALOT of people, probably not as well off financially as me...for me to think that a large company like this is sticking it to families, especially in the tough economic times we are facing it really sickens me.

Being in the Mortgage Industry the past 7 years I have seen it all...but this practice is sickening.

At the very least I will continue to be a pebble I their shoe...then ofcourse there are my 1,000+ contacts in Phoenix...and their contacts...and my Facebook...and ofcourse Extremeskins.

I appreciuate the support fellas!:point2sky

file a claim in small claims court.

I do plan on doing this at the right time...still hoping the city mediator or BBB can push them...

Squatch...send an e-mail to your property manager having them state hwat exactly they want you to address as far as cleaning, etc...the e-mail leaves an electronic paper trail...

THEN...video tape the condition before you relinquish possesion...preferably with an agent form the apartment present and your own wittness...

Then, if they screw you you can do what I did...put it on YouTube and send it to your brothers and sisters' on ES and your own personal peeps.

But you want to give them a chance to make it "right" as long as they know what you will do...

Not to hijack the thread, but, I'm moving out fairly soon and instead of re-renting my apartment they are gut renovating it (they are doing this with every apt in the building after people move out). Does this automatically entitle me to a full security deposit refund, since there won't be any cleaning or re-painting happening?

Just wanted to let you know I watched the video to give you "plays", because I feel your pain.

We've lived in the same rental for over five years and have never met our landlord - I'm pretty sure he didn't even visit the place before we moved in. We go through a property management company and sent in a list of "issues" with the place as soon as we moved in - nothing was fixed. I fully expect that when we move out, we won't see a dime of our security deposit, even though our carpet was replaced less than a year ago and we will clean and paint the place before we leave. Good luck stickin' it to the man :silly:

To the op, have you contacted the local housing authority? Have you reviewed the landlord tenant laws in your state? The landlord may have forgotten to give you a specific notice (a required form in FL) in a certain time frame that states why and how much of your deposit is being kept. In FL, if the landlord fails to give the notice (certified mail) then the landlord loses any legitimate claim that he may have had and must refund the deposit in full.

Just wanted to let you know I watched the video to give you "plays", because I feel your pain.

We've lived in the same rental for over five years and have never met our landlord - I'm pretty sure he didn't even visit the place before we moved in. We go through a property management company and sent in a list of "issues" with the place as soon as we moved in - nothing was fixed. I fully expect that when we move out, we won't see a dime of our security deposit, even though our carpet was replaced less than a year ago and we will clean and paint the place before we leave. Good luck stickin' it to the man :silly:

Thanks man for viewing...I want to get that count UP THERE so I can send an e-mail with the link back to the Proeprty Management Company again so they see I mean business. I really haven't unleashed things yet but I plan on it.

There's also a VERY cool web site called City-Data that people use to research towns they are planning on moving to...it's what helped me research Colorado. I will go to the Phoenix board and post there as well. My goal is 10,000 views...hoefully I can prevent even one family form doing business with them.

But I told them all along if they just refund what is right i will pull my video.

OMG, that's crazy you just started a thread about this!

I just finished reading through Landlord/Tenant Law in California and writing a letter on behalf of my two roommates and I to our landlord regarding the deposit she is withholding from us.

We are extremely frustrated and I am pissed as hell that she is withholding this money from us. It's a small percentage of our deposit, but it's the principle of the matter. We left the house in WAY better condition than we received the house and it's total BS.

I am not sure what the laws are in your state, but luckily in California, the laws favor the tenants so hopefully we (mainly me because I'm so ticked off) will be able to fight this successfully.

If you want to glance at a copy of the letter that I drafted, I'll be happy to PM you. If not, just know that someone is going through your same frustration. It sucks. It would be nice to be able to trust people to not try to rip you off in life and have a little effing integrity, but I guess that's too much to ask. Good Lord.

Archived