Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My generation is the last generation to.....

Sticksboi05

7 numbers for a local call? This might only apply to metropolitan areas, out in the smaller areas, you still dial 7 digits, you might have to dial a 1 before. Quite honestly, I can't remember the last time I used a landline.

We still get an evening paper here, actually you can get a local morning or evening.

The last generation to have a party line.Does any one on here know what that is?:D

Also the last generation to watch and listen to music on MTV.

I remember....

Gatorade came in glass bottles

Candy cigarettes

Astronaut ice cream

Tab was the popular diet soda

Needing a bottle opener to drink any bottle of soda

Waiting in line for gas...dependant on whether you were an odd or even number.

All cars came with a full size spare

Bias ply tires

To many of these are where you live/who you are dependent. I grew up on the Eastern shore of MD. When I was young, (2nd or 3rd grade), you only had to dial 4 digits. I remember the switch to 7 and 10 digits.

On the flipside, there was no NBC station. We got ABC, CBS, and PBS so I can honestly say I remember getting two commercial broadcast stations. I never saw Alf, and the Cosby show was already very famous until an NBC affiliate came to the area.

My parents house COULDN'T get cable until 1990. My younger brother certainly remembers having only broadcast tv as not a choice.

I think the big thing though is the change in the inability to communicate. Even before I was in highschool, there were days where I'd get on a bike, take my two younger brothers, and meet some friends and be gone the rest of the day w/ no communication.

Today that would be unheard of. Even w/ my parents and w/o cell phones by the time my younger brother was of the same age, it was call anytime you go anywhere. Myself in some aspects had more freedom when I was 12 than I was 16. When I first started to drive, when I got to my destination, I had to call to tell them I had arrived. Even if it was somewhere I had been riding a bike to on my own for years w/o calling.

To many of these are where you live/who you are dependent. I grew up on the Eastern shore of MD. When I was young, (2nd or 3rd grade), you only had to dial 4 digits. I remember the switch to 7 and 10 digits.

On the flipside, there was no NBC station. We got ABC, CBS, and PBS so I can honestly say I remember getting two commercial broadcast stations. I never saw Alf, and the Cosby show was already very famous until an NBC affiliate came to the area.

My parents house COULDN'T get cable until 1990. My younger brother certainly remembers having only broadcast tv as not a choice.

I think the big thing though is the change in the inability to communicate. Even before I was in highschool, there were days where I'd get on a bike, take my two younger brothers, and meet some friends and be gone the rest of the day w/ no communication.

Today that would be unheard of. Even w/ my parents and w/o cell phones by the time my younger brother was of the same age, it was call anytime you go anywhere. Myself in some aspects had more freedom when I was 12 than I was 16. When I first started to drive, when I got to my destination, I had to call to tell them I had arrived. Even if it was somewhere I had been riding a bike to on my own for years w/o calling.

How about the last to be truly influenced by 20th century life. Whether it be living in the last decade or the fact that our parents are Baby Boomers who lived through half of it.

My generation is the last to know what it was like to have only 3 channels, and some fuzzy UHF TV.

Last to buy music on vinyl exclusively, and the last to buy 45 RPM records.

The last to have to wait 45 minutes for a frozen dinner to cook.

Last to have rotary dial phones, and phones with cords in general. People have them now, but only by choice.

The last to not be required to ride in a child safety seat.

Last to remember cars that had no installed seatbelts

~Bang

What part of PA were you?

A little place of nowhere called Clearville. It's off 68. The closest town (and the exit from 68) is Flintstone. It's very quiet and relaxing. Great getaway from the hustle and bustle of the "city" (or suburbs).

I'll add, "warm up" the TV to watch Captain Kangaroo.

Ah, the lovely 5 minute wait before you can see a clear picture. Add to that, adjusting the V sync and H sync.

I am one of the youngest Baby Boomers. I was in one of the last classes of prayer in school. School lunch was a nicle then a dime then 25 cents. When I graduated in 1982 it was a dollar.I was in one of the last Army basic training where the drill SGTS. could use physical contact in training.

I bought gas for 88 cents a gallon in 1998. Gas plummeted in the late 90s for about 16 months.

Can't say I remember that but I don't really doubt it. I remember coming back from Germany as a kid and mowing lawns in the summertime. Gas was fifty cents a gallon and people were complaining that the price was so high.

Man, fifty cents a gallon seems so long ago.

Archived