Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN - Supplemental draft rarely a bargain bin/ Len Pasquarelli

HapHaszard

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=4335794

By Len Pasquarelli

Hoping to catch lightning (or at least a lightning-quick pass-rusher) in a bottle for the second time in three months, the Washington Redskins on Thursday selected University of Kentucky defensive end Jeremy Jarmon in the NFL supplemental draft.

The Redskins, who finished with the league's fifth-worst sack total in 2008 (24 sacks), chose University of Texas defensive end/linebacker Brian Orakpo with the 13th overall pick in the April draft. To add another upfield threat, the Redskins took Jarmon in the third round of the supplemental lottery. Washington didn't have a single defender with more than four sacks in 2008.

Jarmon was the lone player selected in the supplemental draft, which included seven other prospects. By exercising a choice for him, the Redskins will forfeit their third-round pick in the 2010 draft. Washington, which rarely has a full complement of April draft choices anyway, was already without its sixth-round pick in 2010, because of last year's trade for defensive end Jason Taylor, who was released earlier this spring.

Before Thursday, the Redskins had never taken a player in the supplemental draft.

Washington officials can only hope that Jarmon is as superb a prospect as Orakpo, who caused a considerable amount of buzz during the minicamps and organized team activities in the spring. If Jarmon is even close to being that good, the Redskins will have beaten the very long odds in the supplemental draft. The lottery almost never turns out a productive player.

"I thought that it was a situation where you get a chance to get a big defensive lineman and he gets a chance to come in, learn from two veteran guys, and he's only 21 years old and he's got the size," executive vice president Vinny Cerrato told the Washington-area media after the special draft.

click on the link above for the rest of the article

I know who he is. I just googled clown and that's the picture I choose, not even seeing who it was. I'll pick something different.

You don't have to change it. I was just letting you know just in case you didn't know.

But boy clowns do creep me out.

EDIT: HAHa. The new pic may be even creepier.... Lol.

I think if you look at virtually any subset of draft picks, supplemental, 2nd rounders, etc. you will find similar statistics. Fact is most players don't make it in this league, and virtually ALL draft picks are a risk. Having said all that, we are long over due in trying to restablish our dline through young prospects.

I think if you look at virtually any subset of draft picks, supplemental, 2nd rounders, etc. you will find similar statistics. Fact is most players don't make it in this league, and virtually ALL draft picks are a risk. Having said all that, we are long over due in trying to restablish our dline through young prospects.

QFE.

what's more, the sample size of legitimate NFL prospects that actually go through the supplemental draft is WAAAAAY too small. most guys are borderline 7th rounders or UDFA-types.

it's kind of stupid to define him as a "guy from the supplemental draft." it's probably a lot more useful to compare him to guys of similar talent/build/resume... guys like Robert Ayers, for example.

Pasquarelli's point is irrelevant. Past history has nothing to do with the development of THIS player.

The tone of this article reminds me of the draftniks every April on ESPN that note that 'no player taken #3 overall has become a Hall of Famer', etc.

Who cares?

All it takes is one guy like a Marshall Faulk or Warren Sapp to be taken at a particular spot in the draft to make that type of observation look as stupid as it is.

Just because teams haven't found an Albert Pujols in the Rule 5 draft in MLB doesn't keep GMs from trying to find that minor league diamond in the rough each season.

Eventually, things do pay off. And it only takes one player to make the case for this kind of move.

Pasquerelli is a tool. I was waiting for someone dumb enough to bring up the, "Redskins hate draft picks and here they go again, losing draft picks". Figures it would be him. We lost nothing in this, we got a pick a year early for the exact pick we would have had next year. In a normal situation we'd have to have traded a 2nd, or a couple of picks, to get a 3rd this year.

We got a guy in the 3rd that could very reasonably been picked up earlier, we got him this year instead of next, and we didn't give up anything.

Oh yeah, and you guys are right. Why in the world don't reporters do any research anymore?

Gary Clark!

Lenny P needs to back to pimping for Jeff George...he really can't ***** about Coach Gibbs anymore...and considering the circumstances Coach Gibbs left under Lenny P was an idiot for writing the "I told ya so" column so he has to write something.

Bottom line he is a bitter old hack who is still pissed off over Vinny not telling him about Coach Gibbs coming back and that Art Monk got into the Hall of Fame.

Archived