Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sleep Number Bed. Satisfied?

dockeryfan

Does anyone have one? I'm curious to know how happy people are with their Sleep Number bed.

Does it sleep hot or cold?

Does it support your frame? (big person 250+ pounds or avg 170lbs, etc)

My parents need a new bed, and a Tempurpedic like I have is not an option for them. (Dad is big; he'll sink right down and it'll be like sleeping in a volcano it'll be so warm.)

My wife really wanted one so we got one about 5 or 6 years ago. It's weird. I hated it at first but now I really like it and sleep poorly when I sleep on a regular bed. I tend to sleep on my side a lot and the sleep number bed is great for that.

It has foam on the edges of the matress and foam down the middle between where the two people would sleep and two big air matresses in between. You can adjust your side to make it as soft or firm as you want. If the bed is just for one person, it's probabaly not a good fit. If you're a big dude, I don't think you'll have any problem with it supporting your weight.

The reviews I read when I was debating getting one was the biggest problem was the foam in the middle. If two people want to sleep close together or its one person its very uncomfortable.

But if both people sleep on their respective "sides" then it is a great comfortable mattress.

I have one. I've also slept on a tempurpedic and a knock off tempurpedic. For about the same amount of money, the sleep number is the worst of the bunch. On the plus side, it's waranty is good and for longer. They will actually quickly replace parts that brake at no cost.

The sleep number bed folks aren't in the business of selling Beds. It's a finanicng scam. They sign you up for a bed for 5k, which you don't have to pay on for like a year, then if you owe any money on the bed at the end of the year they Zap you for 12k at 18% interest with a penelty charge for every dollar over 5k. They make all their money on the financing and penelties.

As for the beds themselves. The indepenent king size beds suck. The matresses separate and open up with a gap in the middle. The consolidated matresses also have a tendency to shift off the base.

If they get disconnected from the electrical power / unplugged they become the consistency of a feather pile regardless of what your "number" is.

A regualr bedding set is expensive as hell too. I got the cheapest sleep number model. It didn't feel any different from the $5k one.

Mine does not have the hot and cold settings but a heating pad (probably not an electric blanket) will affect the air and you'll need to adjust it more than you'd like.

Agree with earlier poster - if the bed is for one person, you probably won't like it.

As for the beds themselves. The indepenent king size beds suck. The matresses separate and open up with a gap in the middle. The consolidated matresses also have a tendency to shift off the base.

If they get disconnected from the electrical power / unplugged they become the consistency of a feather pile regardless of what your "number" is.

Are you saying you liked sleeping on one or you didn't? I'm more concerned about them getting restful sleep. Also, did one get disconnected from electrical power while you were sleeping on one?

Posturepedic all the way! I just recently bought one for $400, when it's usually priced at $1100. Fourth of July sale, my Mom actually found it online and called me up right away. I threw a nice matress pad, 500 thread count egyptian cotton sheets, and a down comforter on it and I'm in heaven every night. :cloud9:

Does it support your frame? (big person 250+ pounds or avg 170lbs, etc)

My parents need a new bed, and a Tempurpedic like I have is not an option for them. (Dad is big; he'll sink right down and it'll be like sleeping in a volcano it'll be so warm.)

Simmons Beautyrest NXG.

PM me if you want more info. :)

You don't like them? I've had Posturpedics for years, and always slept like a baby. What don't you like about them?

For starters, the OP is listed as 40 years old & gave a reference point of 250 lbs just for his father, who I'm going to guess is in his late fifties to early sixties. Sealy's interspring doesn't conform to the body's shape & curves to support an older, heavy person who at this stage in life is going to have more aches & pains then someone in their mid 20s - 30s.

Their foam encasement isn't dense enough to support body weight over a period of time, so eventually you'll have a butt imprint in the side of it if you tend to sit on the edge of it.

Their interspring has no border rod that ties it together & strengthens the structural integrity of the coil unit. It's also a traditional side-to-side helical wire tied interspring, which makes it extremely bounce & conducive for motion transfer when sleeping with a partner &/or pets.

You want to buy a new HDTV you talk to Slacky. You want to buy a new set of bedding, talk to me. :)

Ha, wow...I stand corrected! lol
Now I know. Thanks TK.

In the force, I trust.

For the record, we do carry Sealy where I work. Just thought it might be important that I toss that out there since I just ripped into them. :)

Now, I will say one thing positive about a Sealy. Because they don't have a border rod, you can fold them up like a taco to get them into an older home that doesn't have today's traditional 36" wide front door. So, if you live in a 100 year old farm house, Sealy's going to be your best bet on actually getting a queen or king size mattress inside.

Archived