Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ProFootballTalk Portis Becoming A Major Problem For Zorn

Blondie

I disagree with this, I think a feature back offense could still win a SB.

However, if I put myself in the shoes of someone who thought like you, I'd have to say we try it because our offense has not yet proved it can do anything else.

No chance in hell. It doesn't matter if Portis runs for 2,000 yards.

He will be so beat up at the end of the year, that he will once again vanish in the playoffs.

It is utter stupidity.

It didn't work for Larry Johnson, LT, AD, Frank Gore, Portis and many others.

Can we please get someone with a brain in the organization?

No chance in hell. It doesn't matter if Portis runs for 2,000 yards.

He will be so beat up at the end of the year, that he will once again vanish in the playoffs.

It is utter stupidity.

It didn't work for Larry Johnson, LT, AD, Frank Gore, Portis and many others.

Can we please get someone with a brain in the organization?

Don't get me wrong, I'm also a Betts supporter, I think he is also a great back, and would prefer that we use Portis-Betts in something like 55-45% fashion.

But the rest of our offense hasn't shown they can take any pressure off the RBs yet, so our team opts to keep the best one on the field at all times.

If Portis is overrated at all, it's because of his position. RBs are easily replaceable in the league.

He's a great player, but he's paid like a great player. You could probably could get a small dip in production with another player and pay a whole let less.

Don't get me wrong, I'm also a Betts supporter, I think he is also a great back, and would prefer that we use Portis-Betts in something like 55-45% fashion.

But the rest of our offense hasn't shown they can take any pressure off the RBs yet, so our team opts to keep the best one on the field at all times.

How about this?

How about we trade both Portis and Betts, get a few decent RBs back there....nothing fantastic....and no prima donnas?

In exchange for them.....we actually get a few real receivers. Seeing as how our FO is too stupid to draft a good one.

Portis and Betts gone......Boldin in.

And then we get a modern day offense. Who knows? We may even win some games.

Arizona just went to the SB with an old Edge. We sure as hell don't need Portis.

Clinton Portis is an embarrasment to this team. He is an absolute piece of ****. He cares only about himself. I pray every year that somehow Portis will find his way out of washington whether it be from a career-ending injury (we could only be so lucky), or someone finally comes to their senses and gets rid of this over-rated hack.

I can't wait for the season to start because i hope somebody chop blocks him right in the knees. People around here need to wise up and we need to be like other teams in the league that don't tolerate players like this.

Jeff Fisher would never take **** from Portis. Neither would Andy Reid, or Tony Dungy. The premier coaches in the league have a reputation to uphold; and that is that no one player is above the team. People in Washington seem to forget that. Please, we can win without this guy. His attitude is holding this team back. We won without him before and in this league, running backs are easy to replace.

You can't keep a player here that disrespects and curses out the coach. That piece of **** did that last year to Zorn too, and nobody believed me. Now he did it again, and what are they gonna do? Absolutley zilch. Let your team and your coach suffer embarassment because you don't know how to handle a worthless prick like Clinton Portis.

If Portis is overrated at all, it's because of his position. RBs are easily replaceable in the league.

He's a great player, but he's paid like a great player. You could probably could get a small dip in production with another player and pay a whole let less.

have to agree with this... portis is a productive player but by no means irreplaceable... I think betts and cartwright being his back ups have made him look better than he is... my biggest argument on portis has always been at the second level: he can not make anyone miss in the open field, usually tripping over himself once he makes it through the hole... but the guy does have a great talent in finding the hole and not tippy-toeing through it...

With as personable as CP is with fans and the media in general, I find it tough to believe things like this. I mean, it's certainly possible..you never know what people are like behind closed doors, but it just doesn't seem to be in his personality to blow up at coaches, throw tantrums, etc.

No disrespect intended, but we apparently have been watching two different players. Blowing up at coaches, throwing tantrums and basically showing poor judgement when talking to the media seems to be the norm for CP. I do not doubt the guys talent and he wants to win badly, is a funny guy, but with his tenure should be a better locker room and team guy, which he is not. Just my opinion. I hope he runs for 2000 this year.

HTTR

I'll believe it when it's confirmed. How many stories like this come out just to be negated a few weeks later?

Is this totally unlike everything we know about the situation or is it totally in line with everything we know about the situation.

Clinton Portis is an embarrasment to this team. He is an absolute piece of ****. He cares only about himself. I pray every year that somehow Portis will find his way out of washington whether it be from a career-ending injury (we could only be so lucky), or someone finally comes to their senses and gets rid of this over-rated hack.

I can't wait for the season to start because i hope somebody chop blocks him right in the knees. People around here need to wise up and we need to be like other teams in the league that don't tolerate players like this.

Jeff Fisher would never take **** from Portis. Neither would Andy Reid, or Tony Dungy. The premier coaches in the league have a reputation to uphold; and that is that no one player is above the team. People in Washington seem to forget that. Please, we can win without this guy. His attitude is holding this team back. We won without him before and in this league, running backs are easy to replace.

You can't keep a player here that disrespects and curses out the coach. That piece of **** did that last year to Zorn too, and nobody believed me. Now he did it again, and what are they gonna do? Absolutley zilch. Let your team and your coach suffer embarassment because you don't know how to handle a worthless prick like Clinton Portis.

Wow, that's harsh. Also you're comparing a second year Jim Zorn to Fisher, Reid, and Dungy. That's not fair. Before Dungy retired, they were three of the longest tenured coaches in the NFL.

Opponents Starting RBs against Ravens 2008:

Chris Perry 15 carries-42 yards

Jamal Lewis 12-56

Rashard Mendenhall 9-30

Chris Johnson 18-44

Dom Rhodes 25-73

Ronnie Brown 13-27

Justin Fargas 11-22

Jamal Lewis 19-49

Ryan Moats 7-34

Ahmad Bradshaw 9-96 (season high)

Brian Westbrook 14-39

Chris Benson 10-17

Clinton Portis 11-32

Willie Parker 11-47

Tashard Choice 17-90

MJD 23-78

There are a lot of things to be critical of CP for. Saying he's overrated b/c of his stats against the Ravens is one of the dumber ones, tshile.

Here's something else: Portis has rushed for at least 1,250 yards in every season except one (his injury-shortened season). In every season he's been given at least 270 carries, and each time he eclipses the 1,250 mark. Try and find a running back who can make that same claim through their first 7 seasons in the league. Barry Sanders might be the only other running back in the last 25 years who can make that claim. (for the record, LaDainian Tomlinson, Emmitt Smith, John Riggins, Eric Dickerson and Tony Dorsett were not able to do that, for starters...)

That stat alone doesn't mean I think Portis is in Sanders' class...please, I know how the minds on this site work lol. But diminishing Portis' accomplishments as nothing more than being "overrated" is beyond stupid.

Here's something else: Portis has rushed for at least 1,250 yards in every season except one (his injury-shortened season). In every season he's been given at least 270 carries, and each time he eclipses the 1,250 mark. Try and find a running back who can make that same claim through their first 7 seasons in the league. Barry Sanders might be the only other running back in the last 25 years who can make that claim. (for the record, LaDainian Tomlinson, Emmitt Smith, John Riggins, Eric Dickerson and Tony Dorsett were not able to do that, for starters...)

That stat alone doesn't mean I think Portis is in Sanders' class...please, I know how the minds on this site work lol. But diminishing Portis' accomplishments as nothing more than being "overrated" is beyond stupid.

And none of that has meant anything in terms of wins.

Why follow the same stupid path in the future?

And none of that has meant anything in terms of wins.

Why follow the same stupid path in the future?

Of course it's meant something in terms of wins...or else our record when Portis goes over 100 yards wouldn't be so lopsided in terms of victories.

Anyone, anywhere, who claims the Skins' lack of wins is due to ANY significant amount to Portis' production is smoking crack.

I can't wait for the season to start because i hope somebody chop blocks him right in the knees.

Eagle fan much?:doh:

You're just looking at rushing yards against the Steelers. He had over 120 total yards in that game. 51 rushing and 73 receiving and a TD.

I'll bet you money that those stats are incorrect. I don't recall us scoring a TD at all vs. Pittsburgh. I also remember that a lot of those receiving yards came in garbage time. Regardless, I'm not going to hold it against Portis that he didn't light up the Ravens or Steelers.

My real issue with him are the same things that McD states:

1) He's not necessary. All the evidence I needed to come to this conclusion I got in 2006 when he got hurt. Betts, in fewer games, outrushed CP. I would admit that CP is "better" than Ladell Betts, but I don't believe he's so much better than a regular, solid RB that he's worth the money and "aura" that he's granted here. I don't want our team to feel that we have to cater to CP or he'll go in the tank. There are only a couple RBs in the league that valuable (Peterson, LT of a couple years ago, etc.) and they aren't winning championships either.

2) His uprisings against the coach are inexcusable. I don't care who the coach is, the players need to show him respect. I think Zorn has a shot to do something great here, but he needs to be given the opportunity and authority to do that. If his RB is going to get into a pissing match with him every year and Snyder is going to back the RB...well, we've seen how things might go!

In short, I don't mind CP and think he's a good RB. But I personally wouldn't care one bit if they unloaded him and drafted some young RBs to play back there or found someone to plug in. For the most part, if there are holes, we'll get yards. If not, we won't. I don't need to pay someone $10M per season for that in a PASSING league.

Portis for Boldin would be fantastic. Get it done already.

There is this thing called a salary cap - at least for now. To trade Portis this year would trigger a $13M+ cap hit. I bring this inconvienient fact up every time you suggest trading Portis.

Next season, assuming a new CBA is agreed and 2010 is a capped year, the release fee is $8M+. It drops the $5.4M in 2011.

So bottom line whatever the rights and wrongs unless there is no salary cap CP will be a Redskin for at least the next 2 seasons.

Of course it's meant something in terms of wins...or else our record when Portis goes over 100 yards wouldn't be so lopsided in terms of victories.

Anyone, anywhere, who claims the Skins' lack of wins is due to ANY significant amount to Portis' production is smoking crack.

Do you know the feeling you get when you are in a bar, and you see a guy with a Cleveland Browns jersey walk in? Immediately, you say to yourself, "Oh God."

Newsflash: That is exactly what other people think when they see you or me walk into a bar with a Redskins jersey on.

Washington Redskins=Cleveland Browns

It doesn't matter if Portis runs for 2,000 yards. It means nothing. We still compete for last place in the division most years.

:groupwave: Woohoo! Portis just went for 100!

Who cares? Do you want Portis to run for 100 yards, or do you want this team restored to the glory years? To a team that can win the division. To a team that can win a playoff game past a wild card entry.

Enough of the BS already. Building our offense around Portis does not work.

Get him out of here for someone like Boldin.

Is this totally unlike everything we know about the situation or is it totally in line with everything we know about the situation.

We know something about the situation? I know Portis went off on 980 last season, but nothing else comes to mind. He was mad that one game where Betts took over (maybe that's the same situation).

This is the first we've heard from Portis this offseason, and I'm not going to say he's an ******* because many times these reports turn out to be wrong.

So in 2005 when we had to win those 5 games in a row to get into the playoffs, he did nothing in a big game?

121 and 145 yards against the Eagles and Cowboys last year are nothing special either I guess. Being 1 of 2 RBs in history to have 5 straight 125+ games means nothing either.

You're just looking at rushing yards against the Steelers. He had over 120 total yards in that game. 51 rushing and 73 receiving and a TD.

Also finishing in the top 10 of the NFL in rushing yards every year means you're overrated.

No TD for Portis in that game. Only Skins points were on two Suisham field goals.

Archived