Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who are your Top 5 Skins of Alltime?

SkinsCrank

he was leading the league in INTs and Pro bowl votes when he passed. he had not only established himself as a monster hitter but now a ball hawk as well.

yeah, it was realized.

For one year?

Is one outstanding year good enough to make you top 5?

I havent seen anyone put Mark Rypien in their top 5.

Again, Taylor was good, but he wasnt top 5.

My favorites would be:

Riggins

Green

Monk

S. Taylor

Mann

Take into context my age and who I grew up watching. Not the best all-time, but I didn't get to see anyone who played before 1980 or so, therefore how valid is my opinion about them? Obviously Sammy Baugh was a great player, Sonny and Billy Kilmer, too. I just wasn't around.

For one year?

Im sorry..did i say path realized?

i guess i did because in 2007 he was on a path of greatness.

rypien wasnt murdered, he faded out. taylor didnt get that option.

For one year?

I think a lot of us are going with sentimental reasons. Also, can't speak for others, but I look at it as "my" Top 5, not "the" Top 5. There are a lot of role players I like, but left them off something as lofty as a Top 5, a la Ricky Ervins.

Im sorry..did i say path realized?

i guess i did because in 2007 he was on a path of greatness.

rypien wasnt murdered, he faded out. taylor didnt get that option.

If anything hasnt the NFL taught us that nothing is certain? It doesnt matter if Taylor was murdered. What if he broke his leg and never played again. Would he still be thought of as highly?

Youre arguing that im saying ST wasnt any good, im saying he was good, just not top 5 good.

Taylor wasnt the only Skin who had realized his potential.

For the record i have him at number 9 in my top 10.

If anything hasnt the NFL taught us that nothing is certain? It doesnt matter if Taylor was murdered. What if he broke his leg and never played again. Would he still be thought of as highly?

Youre arguing that im saying ST wasnt any good, im saying he was good, just not top 5 good.

For the record i have him at number 9 in my top 10.

edit: ill cut this part out for civility's sake

and you trying to say that a guy who kept improving every season until he was leading the league in INTs and fully recognized by the NFL as one of the best safeties in the league didnt realize his potential is silly. he was realizing it and then he was killed. its not like he broke his leg, its not like he did anything to kill his career. he was abruptly cut short.

and you trying to say that a guy who kept improving every season until he was leading the league in INTs and fully recognized by the NFL as one of the best safeties in the league didnt realize his potential is silly. he was realizing it and then he was killed. its not like he broke his leg, its not like he did anything to kill his career. he was abruptly cut short.

I did admit he realized his potential.

And it doesnt matter what cut his career short, only the fact that it WAS cut short. Broken leg (a la Theisman), death, trade, or whatever- nothing will change the fact that he was still only here for a few years and thats all we have of him to judge against other players. Realized potential or not, there were plenty of other players that had also realized potentials and were better than he was.

For one year?

Sean Taylor was the greatest FOOTBALL player I've ever seen play.That's why he's in my Top 5

The problem with debating anything outside of popular opinion on #21, is it's such an emotive subject people automatically take the defensive.

Mike man, the young man's not arguing that Sean wasn't amongst, if not arguably the top safety in the league when his life was so tragically taken from us. Nor that he hadn't realized the immense potential he was blessed with and was playing to his maximum.

All he's saying, and quite rightly so IMHO, is the fact that tragically, through no fault of his own, Sean's career was cut short; and as such, for such a minimal time scale of a career, he can't realistically be classed amongst the greats.

That's not to say he wasn't well on the way to becoming one, and who knows, at the rate he was going, he may of been the best safety the NFL's ever seen, never mind Redskin. But the tragic fact is we'll never know for certain because his career was cut short, and to claim such, as many do, is an insult to many other great players that did have a long, consistent career.

I understand why younger guys would put Sean up the top of their lists. He's the only real star they've known in a sea of almost constant mediocrity. Hell, I even get emotion coming into play and people adding him with the hurt still being fresh. And that's all good, there's no right or wrong here when it comes to personal opinion.

As regards mine, I share young fulnellson's view that he was a great player in the pitifully short time we were privileged to watch him, but sadly due to that short period, he can't be classed at the top of the list of Redskin greats.

Hail.

good on ya and i hear your post. but what i said was that he was on a path to being the best safety in the league. i also said that a lot of people on here are young and that could be a reason.

i still stand by what i said...and he was the best player on our team in 05 and 07 until he passed. there is no arguing he was doing something special in 07 and was leading the pro bowl votes for his position up until then.

someone who doesnt know anything of slingin sammy (like myself) or sonny (like myself) except what I have seen on tapes is going to watch what Sean did and say "my God that was special". I put him on my list and I went thru all of the 80s teams that I remember and I cant think of one player on our D that hit as hard as him or created as much of an impact as him.

Manley? Nope, dude was doped up. Mann, he was good but not ST game changing good. DG, for sure. But he is on my list too.

like you said it all comes down to opinion and what you like. I like Sean Taylor and thats not because Im leading by emotion or because he passed. I liked watching him make dudes flinch when they saw him coming, I liked watching him hit people so hard their helmets jarred. I just liked how the dude played and thats why I put him there.

The path was never realized.

I think age is irrelevant.

Mike man, the young man's not arguing that Sean wasn't amongst, if not arguably the top safety in the league when his life was so tragically taken from us. Nor that he hadn't realized the immense potential he was blessed with and was playing to his maximum.

Hail.

PS..Id say that is what he was saying in that post.

PS..Id say that is what he was saying in that post.

My bad, I'd missed that post, sorry.

But looking at his subsequent post's, I'd wager he just worded that bad, in so much as he acknowledges the standing Sean had at the time of his death, but the potential to be the very best of the best wasn't fully fulfilled over the duration of time through no fault of his own.

Least that's how I'm reading him, shrugs.

Hail.

My bad, I'd missed that post, sorry.

But looking at his subsequent post's, I'd wager he just worded that bad, in so much as he acknowledges the standing Sean had at the time of his death, but the potential to be the very best of the best wasn't fully fulfilled over the duration of time through no fault of his own.

Least that's how I'm reading him, shrugs.

Hail.

Well thanks for clearing that up for me. :D

You know how it is i guess. Sometimes you just cant figure out how to put your thoughts down. Its been a long day.

Oh silly message boards...

Assuming we can't name coaches, otherwise Joe Gibbs would be numero uno for me, my list looks like this

1. John Riggins

2. Darrell Green

3 Gary Clark

4 Art Monk

5. Sean Taylor

These are all guys I've seen play live, so forgive me if I didn't include any older guys like Sonny or Charlie Taylor

Archived