Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone been to Rome/Italy? Updated: Italy has been PleaseBlitzed

PleaseBlitz

Then we took a train to Naples, which is a ****hole, but we only saw the trainstation.

As much as I adore Italy, that jumped right out and had me laughing aloud. I couldn't of described Naples better myself. It truly is a complete, deprived ****hole. Lucky you that you never departed the train. I wonder if the rubbish is STILL piled high rotting on the streets from the never ending garbage strike? Conversely, if you go down the road to Pompeii to see the awesome ruins that Vesuvius covered way back when; that's a beautiful little town. A Worlds difference from Naples.

Glad you got a varied experience on your trip man. Tuscany truly does posses some of the most gorgeous places in the Country, from it's rolling hills, fantastic architecture and great culture. Rome's always disappointed me, like most Capital city's tend to do. The historical sites are great of course, and even for a non-catholic the Vatican City was awe-inspiring. But I don't know, the city as a whole always leaves me kinda' 'meh.'

Lombardy's a great region to spend time in too for next time with it's great lakes (Lake Como, after exploring Milan, is a must visit), culture, scenery and City's. (And judging by your pics, the vineyards there would wow you.). Sciliy is somewhere that's high on my to do list. A good few weeks exploring that Island that is so diverse and different from the mainland would be a great vacation.

I'll stop now as I don't want to intrude on your thread too much, save to say I'm made up you had a fantastic time. Oh, how good is Italian food and wine when it's done by Italians? Seriously, with the passion and care that goes into it; outside of having a Frenchman cooking for you I don't think it can be beaten.

Hail.

I wonder if the rubbish is STILL piled high rotting on the streets from the never ending garbage strike?

When we were there in 2011, it was not. I'm not surprised you feel this way, though, as you didn't like Rome, and Naples is Rome on steroids (crazier traffic, even more passionate people, etc.). It requires a certain attitude to appreciate it, I suppose.

Amy and I loved it. :ols:

Of course, while we visited Naples during the day, we slept in Sorrento (about an hour away on the Circumvesuviana commuter train). ;)

OMG the food. I can't even rank the places we ate at, but of the top 10 meals ive ever had, 8 were during those 2 weeks. The boat we hired in Positano, the captain (Peter, a brit) would make dinner reservations for us as we were heading back into town. The places near the beach were not great, since thats where tourists go and you basically pay for the view. This guy HOOKED IT UP. We took 2 trips with him, one around the coast and one to Capri, so he made us 2 reservations. The first one, a place called Scirrocco was probably the #1 meal ive ever had. We ate dinner with another American couple we met on the boat, they were super nice, and we ordered a whole table full of food (and wine). The truffle pasta was so good we asked for more.

ry%3D400

---------- Post added February-7th-2012 at 12:32 PM ----------

When we were there in 2011, it was not. I'm not surprised you feel this way, though, as you didn't like Rome, and Naples is Rome on steroids (crazier traffic, even more passionate people, etc.). It requires a certain attitude to appreciate it, I suppose.

Amy and I loved it. :ols:

Of course, while we visited Naples during the day, we slept in Sorrento (about an hour away on the Circumvesuviana commuter train). ;)

The driving in Naples is ****ing berserk. Our first day in Italy I drove a rental from Florence to Siena, and it was scary. The roads suck, and someone will be going 40 mph in the right lane, so i would pass him, then the SECOND i got back over, i got passed by a cherry red Ferrari going at least 120, and i never saw him coming. So that was bad.

Naples is a whole other animal. It's like the other drivers are actively trying to harm you. We had a driver b/c our travel agent was like "no, you can't drive in Naples" and by the time we got to Positano, my whole body was sore from 200 reps of an exercise called "bracing for impact." All of this was going on over switchback cliffside roads 1000 feet up, so mistakes = certain death. My driver was doing all of this while on his cell phone.

Naples is moody. It's a City always on the cusp of erupting, and one of the most deprived and violent in Italy. I wouldn't even put it down to a Southern thing as there's some beautifully nice and respectable placse in the South that aren't as privileged as their Northern neighbours. And a very uneasy place to be at night if your not in a group and not local.

Nice to see the garbage situation has been rectified. The last time I was there in October 2010 the strike was getting so ridiculous there was talk of the military getting involved. It was literally piled high on street corners, and with the heat even at the back end of the year the resulting smell was horrendous.

I'd take Rome over it any day of the week.

Hail.

Go to the Capuchin Crypt beneath the Capuchin Church of the Immaculate Conception, located on Via Veneto, near Barbarini Square. It is constructed out of human bones.

Lima, Peru where my wife is from, has a church with catacoombs like that. It was cool.

---------- Post added February-7th-2012 at 01:50 PM ----------

While you are there, also make sure to buy a real slick Italian suit, for cheap. The catch is, you can never change your body at all once you buy one from Italy

Had 2 custom suits made in Peru.

And yea, I came home with 2 MONEY suits from Via Nazionale. My wife made me buy them b/c she didnt want to feel bad about the epic shopping she was doing.

---------- Post added February-7th-2012 at 02:04 PM ----------

From the dinner picture, both couples should have used some sunscreen. All of you are so red.

OMG **** yea. We had spent that whole day on a boat. The next day we just took a rest day and stayed inside (honeymoon and all :) ) and the next day hired the same boat again and spent that whole day in the sun as well getting to and from and at Capri.

Our first day in Italy I drove

I think I've spotted your problem. :ols:

I've toyed with driving in Tuscany, but decided against it due to observation that matches your experience. And yes, Naples is on its own plane. The only equivalent I've even heard about is certain places in South America. I'm not sure why they even bother having traffic police. It's kind of funny to watch, actually.

I may have already mentioned it in this thread, since it's an old bump, but Amy and I ran into an American couple at Pompeii one year that were living in Naples and raising a small child. We asked them how you teach a kid to cross the street. "Look both ways" would have the kid dying of old age, and "Stare down the oncoming driver and hurl yourself headlong into traffic" doesn't seem right, somehow. :ols:

I know it probably smells

It doesn't.

The Paris Catacombs are unbelievable. Bones for miles.

The bone church in Kutna Hora, Czech Republic was pretty wild... chandaliers, coats of arms, everything was made out of bones.

OMG **** yea. We had spent that whole day on a boat. The next day we just took a rest day and stayed inside (honeymoon and all :) ) and the next day hired the same boat again and spent that whole day in the sun as well getting to and from and at Capri.

When I went to Peru, we flew from Lima to Cuzco to visit Machu Pichu. Cuzco is higher in elevation than Machu Pichu, so when we got on the train early in the morning it was about 35 degrees. When we arrived in Machu Pichu it was about 70. This was in March, which is autumn for Peru. We had backpacks, so we took off our cold weather stuff and my wife had a tank top on.

Now, I'm a pasty, white, blonde, irish guy who burns. She made me slather on sunscreen (which I hate because of the greasy feeling), but she didn't put any on. My wife is "white" hispanic, but her skin tone is darker than mine, but not brown like the Incas. She didn't put any sunscreen on and by the time we got back to Cuzco, her arms and shoulders were fried.

---------- Post added February-7th-2012 at 04:12 PM ----------

IIt doesn't.

That's good to know. I'd still go even if it did.

---------- Post added February-7th-2012 at 04:12 PM ----------

IIt doesn't.

That's good to know. I'd still go even if it did.

Archived