Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Serious question about the Eagles?

Roger.Staubach

A semi-funny thought occurred to me the other day while I was at work. In most professional sports stadiums the teams hang championship banners and such from the rafters. As I've only been to one Eagles game in my life and it was many years ago so I don't really have a good memory... So:

What exactly do they hang from the rafters at the Linc?

And yes...I am being serious.

http://football.ballparks.com/NFL/PhiladelphiaEagles/newindex.htm

Banners/Retired Numbers

We are starting to see a trend in the new NFL venues, and that is the absence of banners and retired numbers in the seating bowl. This team hasn't won any Super Bowl championships (one trip back in 1980), and there aren't too many NFL titles to brag about either. Their history is showcased in a great way in the building's atrium lobby.

I saw a guy walking around with a nice, rather expensive looking Eagles jacket on. On the back it said "Eagles- NFL Champions: ______," with three years listed. All in the 1950s. NFL Champs, not Super Bowl champs. I laughed.

Superbowl Champs are NFL Champs.

Remember now, the Skins have 2 or those old NFL Championships also. We also have 3 Superbowls also. Dallas has 5 and NY has 3 also.

Poor Eagles don't have one superbowl win.

Not sure if they hang banners, but if they do, besides the NFL Championships of the 1950's, and looking to the Superbowl era, they are 2 time NFC Champions, and during most of the 2000's they were the owners of the NFC East.

So they would have the ability to hang banners.

Teams like the Saints hang thirty year old banners for winning divisions that no longer exist. I'm sure it would just piss off thier fans the way they get but the Eagles certainly could put up half a dozen such banners that are far more recent. Although, while the Saints take pride in having hosted a home playoff game a team like the Eagles would only get pissed off at the reminder of early playoff exits. You'd think they would at least have a 2004 NFC Champs banner but everyone would probably just burn it.

I know the Cards are going to have Kurt Warner annointed as a saint when they unveil their own NFC banner this season.

I saw a guy walking around with a nice, rather expensive looking Eagles jacket on. On the back it said "Eagles- NFL Champions: ______," with three years listed. All in the 1950s. NFL Champs, not Super Bowl champs. I laughed.

Did you stop laughing when you realized you are 20 years old and the most significant win you ever seen in your life was the Skins having the worst offensive output in playoff history and squeeking by the Tampa Bay Bucs?

Did you stop laughing when you realized you are 20 years old and the most significant win you ever seen in your life was the Skins having the worst offensive output in playoff history and squeeking by the Tampa Bay Bucs?

Whether he actually saw it or not....at least his team has won a championship.

Many fans can't say that......:)

And you've gone an entire lifetime without seeing your team win a championship...what's your point?

Teams like the Saints hang thirty year old banners for winning divisions that no longer exist. I'm sure it would just piss off thier fans the way they get but the Eagles certainly could put up half a dozen such banners that are far more recent. Although, while the Saints take pride in having hosted a home playoff game a team like the Eagles would only get pissed off at the reminder of early playoff exits. You'd think they would at least have a 2004 NFC Champs banner but everyone would probably just burn it.

I know the Cards are going to have Kurt Warner annointed as a saint when they unveil their own NFC banner this season.

The NFC Championship was a very good recent memory, and I don't think anyone would have any problem with that being hung.

He can't say he experienced any of the joy that comes with winning it, either. He wasn't there for the ride, and he wasn't there for the win. His whole life has been horrible, horrible football.

Every time I pop any one of a multitude of Redskins DVD's that chronicle not one, not two, but three superbowl victories, I experience tremendous joy.

This should be blatantly obvious, it didnt need to happen in my adult life for me to be happy about it. I remember watching the parade in 1991 in school, in fact I'll never forget it. That was a joyous occassion.

I guess you have to experience it yourself to understand. Maybe one day... ;)

Archived